What tablet or smartphone are you using with Solo? report good and bad

Reaction score
I see some people have been reporting bugs with their smart phone/ tablet working with Solo, app crashing, etc.

Why not list what you are using with your Solo, as well as how your connectivity (range) performance seems to be, any problems (app crashes), size of the tablet or phone, etc.

Also, does anyone know the largest tablet you can use with the stock Solo controller mount? Will a 10 inch work, or will it work only with 8 inch or smaller? I can't find anything that mentions this.

Let's see that list of tablets/phones that are working with the Solo!

Here's a start:

NOT WORKING: Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD
It has Android 4.4.2 but the App play store says that my device is not compatible with the Solo App.

I see some people have been reporting bugs with their smart phone/ tablet working with Solo, app crashing, etc.

Why not list what you are using with your Solo, as well as how your connectivity (range) performance seems to be, any problems (app crashes), size of the tablet or phone, etc.

Also, does anyone know the largest tablet you can use with the stock Solo controller mount? Will a 10 inch work, or will it work only with 8 inch or smaller? I can't find anything that mentions this.

Here's a start:

It has Android 4.4.2 but the App play store says that my device is not compatible with the Solo App.
I haven't seen a lot of consistency among the many makes and/or OSs and it stands to reason. There are a great deal of variables involved even when 2 people have the same platform. Chief among them would be apps installed, background apps, WiFi settings, etc. I have seen a great many posts of users with the same phone with 1 saying it crashes a lot and another saying never crashed.

Thanks for this. I'm thinking of what hardware is compatible with the solo, vs the app version.

For example, my phone won't work at all, as it will not allow the app to be installed.

Also, what is the largest size of tablet that can work with the mount on the controller?

If people post what is working for them, it may help others.

A listing of app issues would be software specific, which is a slightly different viewpoint.

ipad Mini 2.. I've had 1 app crash in about 4hrs of flying.

Verizon Droid Turbo
LG GPad 8.3 (V510 Google Play Edition)

both work

Also, what is the largest size of tablet that can work with the mount on the controller?

The 8.4" tablets will fit in the Solo mount. My 8.4" tablet is 5" wide (tall when laid horizontal) but the clamp would stretch and accommodate up to a 6" wide device.

Here's a start:

Hi Rich. I am using a Galaxy Tab 4 8", and so far it is working great. It fits in the controller mount just fine, even with a case on it. Hope this helps. Congrats.....you are my first post...:D

Flys OK Nextbook Ares 8 model nxa8qc116r from Walmart ($78).
It's an 8 inch Android 5 tablet.

Works on the ground. Flown OK, no issues but can't use follow me

Update: I may return it to Walmart. It is OK for the price, but it has no internal GPS so you can't use it with follow me mode.

The only internal sensor is an accelerometer. The is no compass, no GPS. This may be OK for some but kind of limiting for use with mapping or with solo.

Last edited:
I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 inch with a book cover. Fits fine in the mount with the cover on. Haven't had any app crashes so far.

After seeing other users having success, I picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 from Best Buy this morning (one sale for $199.99). Working flawlessly so this will be my dedicated device for the Solo (and the Phantom 3 in a few months).

A few things to note:
  • A sunshade is a definite must when the sun is out as I can hardly see the screen and since I'm wearing sunglasses it makes it worse. I guess I'm going to have to make one.
  • I still have some confusion on what features are available without a cell service. The tablet has built in GPS and I did not have to cache the map of where I would be flying today. Solo informed me when GPS was available and not available and I was able to use features like selfie and follow me modes.

After seeing other users having success, I picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 from Best Buy this morning (one sale for $199.99). Working flawlessly so this will be my dedicated device for the Solo (and the Phantom 3 in a few months).

A few things to note:
  • A sunshade is a definite must when the sun is out as I can hardly see the screen and since I'm wearing sunglasses it makes it worse. I guess I'm going to have to make one.
  • I still have some confusion on what features are available without a cell service. The tablet has built in GPS and I did not have to cache the map of where I would be flying today. Solo informed me when GPS was available and not available and I was able to use features like selfie and follow me modes.
That is a good choice. Mine is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8". At the price you got it for, I am sure it is a WiFi only tablet. Any online service like internet won't be available to you without having it connected to a WiFi source like your home WiFi, or someplace that offers it free. Some smart phones can be set to use as a mobile hotspot which you could do to connect your tablet to and get WiFi. The box your tablet came in will tell you whether it is a WiFi only tablet or a cell provider tablet. I am pretty sure yours is WiFi only. I believe the Solo app connected to your Solo will allow your to use all of the shot modes Solo has to offer. Hope this helps.

A few things to note:

Solo informed you when GPS was available? I'm a little lost because that has nothing to do with the tablet itself. Solo has onboard GPS which is locks when enough sats have been identified. There will no "features" unavailable to you other than being able send a trouble ticket from the field. Nothing that Solo does in the field is dependent on an internet connection. There are 1001 reason why you might want to cache your maps before you fly but because of Solo's onboard GPS you will always have a "map" as long as you're connected to GPS.

That is a good choice. Mine is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8". At the price you got it for, I am sure it is a WiFi only tablet. Any online service like internet won't be available to you without having it connected to a WiFi source like your home WiFi, or someplace that offers it free. Some smart phones can be set to use as a mobile hotspot which you could do to connect your tablet to and get WiFi. The box your tablet came in will tell you whether it is a WiFi only tablet or a cell provider tablet. I am pretty sure yours is WiFi only. I believe the Solo app connected to your Solo will allow your to use all of the shot modes Solo has to offer. Hope this helps.

Yes, the tablet I purchased is wifi only but has GPS built in. I have a iPad Mini with LTE but its not supported yet and my iPhone 6 was a little to small for viewing.

I'm trying to find out where I read it but some features are not available without GPS.

You're confused. Once your tablet connects to a WiFit hotspot (which would be the Solo WiFi) all communication is transmitted through that wifi connection.

Solo informed you when GPS was available? I'm a little lost because that has nothing to do with the tablet itself. Solo has onboard GPS which is locks when enough sats have been identified. There will no "features" unavailable to you other than being able send a trouble ticket from the field. Nothing that Solo does in the field is dependent on an internet connection. There are 1001 reason why you might want to cache your maps before you fly but because of Solo's onboard GPS you will always have a "map" as long as you're connected to GPS.

Yes, I'm a little lost as well. Maybe someone can provide a comparison between what features are available when using the following type of device.

• Wifi only tablet (e.g., Wifi only Apple iPad as not gps built in).
  • Wifi tablet with GPS receiver (e.g., Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4).
  • Wifi tablet/phone with GPS/Cellular (e.g., iPhone, Samsung Galaxy 6, iPad w/cellular, etc).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421