What Quad to Practice with before flying solo? Yuneec or Walkera?

Reaction score
as some of you know I do have 5 solos that are all in their boxes. I have the opportunity in buying an open box Yuneec q500 g for 180.00 but no gimbal. My intent is to use this drone as a practice quad before I jump to flying my solo. Is it worth spending that much for a practice set? What do you think about Yuneec? Will I gain anything? Or just a waste of money? There is also a brand new walkera qr x350 that can be had for only 150. Is this better? Sorry for asking and thanks for your inputs.

Use the simulator. Its not that different for the basics of flying the SOLO in loiter mode. If you are new to flying, you should start out with a stabilized mode first anyway. Not acro or sport. So use the sim for basics. For any specialized flying (smart shots, etc), you need to practice with the SOLO itself. If you fly the SOLO in loiter mode for a while you can take baby steps into the other modes.

Buy the Yuneec & leave it in the box too......then think about buying a DJI........just ribbing you.......

Take one of those 5 Solo's out of the box.......& GO FLY....what are you waiting for ........

What Bilge said. With 5 Solo's, it seems kind of crazy to spend more for a practice drone. Just put Solo on turtle mode, and learn the basics on what you will be flying later. Solo is very easy to learn with. Try it, you will like it. Good luck.

Reactions: Solo Keith
1) simulator, worth every penny to avoid crash anxiety and to not then look on your crashed drone and replay in your head how you froze or moved the wrong stick the wrong way.
2) indoor drone, 100 - 180 sized and learn orientation and basic circles. My Blade 180 QX is still one of my favorites as it fly's so darn well (almost as good as a quad in the simulators).
3) take the solo out during this in simple controlled flight with auto take off landing. Get used to hovering, try to do simple clean 360 degree pivots with yaw, get used to the feel of the controls. Start duplicated what you do in the sim. The solo does fly very predictably and smooth; it is the orientation and momentary panic when the drone moves different then what you expected that will get you into trouble.

Point taken. Just being so paranoid reading all these solo crashes and yet you guys are I would say expert. I am a newbie that's why all these uncertainties. Anyway I will go ahead and try to fly ever so careful one of my solos. I will update you guys. Thanks.

1) simulator, worth every penny to avoid crash anxiety and to not then look on your crashed drone and replay in your head how you froze or moved the wrong stick the wrong way.
2) indoor drone, 100 - 180 sized and learn orientation and basic circles. My Blade 180 QX is still one of my favorites as it fly's so darn well (almost as good as a quad in the simulators).
3) take the solo out during this in simple controlled flight with auto take off landing. Get used to hovering, try to do simple clean 360 degree pivots with yaw, get used to the feel of the controls. Start duplicated what you do in the sim. The solo does fly very predictably and smooth; it is the orientation and momentary panic when the drone moves different then what you expected that will get you into trouble.
Good advise. Will do. Thanks a lot.

Flying the Solo is easier than you think.......be sure you read the entire user manual & understand it fully before flying...it will make your flight more rewarding.....

Do not waste another dime on a trainer drone....Go fly your Solo.....

Reactions: Solo Keith

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela