What is the best gopro4 silver firmware to use.

Reaction score
Okay I been reading for hours to find the right boot up to get video feed working. Removed two different gimbals as ready to do squeeze hdmi prt and add foam , Finally found right order tha worked for me,,,,,,,,,,,SHOULD I STILL DO IT foam thing?

Controls over camera grayed out got on tablet , it is from refurbisher for 128us, so am assuming latest firmware.

HAVE READ VER .3 MOST CONTROL .

Not a big issue if i have to just turn on gopro if some other firmware works better.

Did a search to look to revert to ver3 can anyone point me to a guide on a thread.Some threads are about gp3 gp3+ ect.

Actually only one thread comes up with two pages "revert to ver.3" Already did that search.
My old eyes missed the green link that took me to upgrade to version 4 thread stupid me.
Went there THANKS Ben J for post. As follows. I did it it After stumbling with a RAR program, did the upgrade or down I never checked version installed. Hopes this helps someone else.

BEN J posts
Heard back again from Owen. Here's his final response:

Here is the official respond regarding the GoPro update:

The new GoPro firmware update (v4.0) is compatible with your SOLO app video feed and settings will work just fine, however, it will no longer turn on along with your SOLO unit. This is permanent and probably that functionality will not be re-enabled for the new GoPro Fw, although this is not a final decision. Besides that, there's a video codec change that alters the video feed when recording on 2.7K and 4K. It will simply distortion the image that is displayed in the app (the live feed), but the video recorded on the GoPro itself is not affected by this.
In case you want to revert firmware to v3.0 to regain old functionality, the steps to downgrade the GoPro Firmware below:
1. Download the UPDATE.zip file for your camera. GoPro Firmware
2. Extract the files with the option Extract to UPDATE
3. Insert the SD card from the GoPro into the computer
4. Copy the UPDATE folder to the microSD card
5. Insert the SD card back into the GoPro
6. Turn on the GoPro. This will perform the downgrade (the camera will restart itself about 4 times during the downgrade, this is normal).

Any other questions please let us know.

Best Regards,

Actually only one thread comes up with two pages "revert to ver.3" Already did that search...
I think that some of the problem here may be that people don't know how to use a Boolean type search. First, on this forum's search function you need to drill down to the lowest level of search that gives you ALL the possible fields to search by and in:
  1. Magnifying glass icon
  2. Settings icon
  3. More button
...and you are then, and only then to the correct and best search page.

Entering too much search info will limit what you find to those specifics you entered.
"revert to ver.3" gives you 3 results - but you MUST think outside the box and envision what others may call the same thing.
"downgrade to ver.3" yields 4 different results.
"downgrade to v3" gives you 5 different results,
"downgrade + 3" gives you 3 PAGES of results, but may include a lot of "3s" you don't care about..

The process takes some forethought and often some trial and error, but I can guarantee you, all the newbies' questions have been asked and answered before on this forum, dozens of times. It's in here...

prego.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuck
i run 5 without any issues besides having to turn the camera on manually. i like it because 5 turns off my camera when i power down and closes the shutter when i land the drone as well. i tried 4 and sometimes it wouldn't power up my camera.honestly not a big deal to hit the power button before putting down the drone.

Thanks ,maybe my firmware was using was older than 3 .I had lot of grayed out controls in settings couldn't even start rec . I got update message but didn't study how to find FW ver in camera already. I didn't want to find 3.0 when I needed 3.1.. I just assume everything is my fault. I was looking for what you lose to what if any gain in each firmware , from someone that has tried them.
Maybe old FW added to my problem . I had to have an exact sequence needed to get video feed up and running for the first time. I appreciate the efforts of any moderators on the many forums I have joined over the years, but some stickys would help here , and I hate when some gets help and never give the solution that worked.Love edited solved bold at front of title you search. Sometimes the best or fastest help you can get as a newbie is from a newbie that did same thing wrong.
Anyway I have been doing some kind of RC for about 18 yrs , nitro boats, nitro and elec. buggies 1/4 & 1/8 scale, some mini helis.

...I was looking for what you lose to what if any gain in each firmware , from someone that has tried them..
GP is tight-lipped about SW, FW, the Hero Bus... just about everything that we would like to know. And once their camera SW version has incremented, they won't give Update Release Information about the old version(s) - or none that I've ever found on the GP site.

It took me more than 15 minutes to find this link (which is a long time for me), and it is still old info - but I am confident that a nice long and tedious Google search will yield more updated info. I have spent hours sometimes, searching and researching a single bit of info. Sometimes that's what it takes.
Softwares - Software Update Release InformationHERO4 Black... | Facebook

I think that some of the problem here may be that people don't know how to use a Boolean type search. First, on this forum's search function you need to drill down to the lowest level of search that gives you ALL the possible fields to search by and in:
  1. Magnifying glass icon
  2. Settings icon
  3. More button
...and you are then, and only then to the correct and best search page.

Entering too much search info will limit what you find to those specifics you entered.
"revert to ver.3" gives you 3 results - but you MUST think outside the box and envision what others may call the same thing.
"downgrade to ver.3" yields 4 different results.
"downgrade to v3" gives you 5 different results,
"downgrade + 3" gives you 3 PAGES of results, but may include a lot of "3s" you don't care about..

The process takes some forethought and often some trial and error, but I can guarantee you, all the newbies' questions have been asked and answered before on this forum, dozens of times. It's in here...

prego.jpg
SARDG, you are a gem. That could not have been done any better.......:)

SARDG, you are a gem. That could not have been done any better.......:)
Thanks Chuck. I could have done it a little better with some screen captures, but I hope this helps somewhat the way it is.

You know the old adage... give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

Thanks Chuck. I could have done it a little better with some screen captures, but I hope this helps somewhat the way it is.

You know the old adage... give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.
It is fine the way it is, and are words to live...'er, search by.

Reactions: quickamg
So it looks like you only lose turn on from tablet , but gain auto off and close shutter in ver5, plus night time lapse other improvements ver4 and whatever else they have added in 5ver.
I thought ver4 broke more on screen controls than that.

Which is all fine and good unless he's like me and hates eating fish. ;-)

Hero4 black all I lost was power on with solo. I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...and for one of the few guys who routinely launches Solo from a boat, that just doesn't seem right! ;)
That may have been my most useless post on this site so far. :/). (For the record, "routinely" is pushing it, though I have pulled it off)

Ver 5 is great in my opinion and has some advantages over previous versions, the only down side is manually Powering on gopro, I occasionally get in the air and then #()@+?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela