What GoPros Can I Fully Use With my New 3DR Solo

Reaction score
I just got a new 3dr solo to replace my backup DJI Phantom FC 40 and wow! This thing is better than my Phantom Vision 2+ at a quarter of the cost I got mine for so many years ago.

I was wondering what GoPro I need to get the functionality out of this unit? Since I am new to this 3dr solo, I would like to get the most affordable GoPro that I can use fully with it?

I see people saying that a 3 Silver+ will not work fully, but some say it will. As of today, a fully updated 3dr with a fully updated GoPro, what is the most affordable, "lowest" GoPro that I can use to its full potential?

Thanks!

PS FIRST POST!!

I just got a new 3dr solo to replace my backup DJI Phantom FC 40 and wow! This thing is better than my Phantom Vision 2+ at a quarter of the cost I got mine for so many years ago.

I was wondering what GoPro I need to get the functionality out of this unit? Since I am new to this 3dr solo, I would like to get the most affordable GoPro that I can use fully with it?

I see people saying that a 3 Silver+ will not work fully, but some say it will. As of today, a fully updated 3dr with a fully updated GoPro, what is the most affordable, "lowest" GoPro that I can use to its full potential?

Thanks!

PS FIRST POST!!
Welcome, iKokomo. The oldest GoPro that is compatible with the gimbal, is the GoPro Hero 3+ Black. That is what I have on my first Solo. The only function that doesn't work, is that you have to power on the camera before Solo. It will shut down when you power off Solo. I have full camera function while in the air. Your other choices are the GoPro 4 Silver, and the 4 Black. I hope this helps, and good luck.

Welcome, iKokomo. The oldest GoPro that is compatible with the gimbal, is the GoPro Hero 3+ Black. That is what I have on my first Solo. The only function that doesn't work, is that you have to power on the camera before Solo. It will shut down when you power off Solo. I have full camera function while in the air. Your other choices are the GoPro 4 Silver, and the 4 Black. I hope this helps, and good luck.

Thanks! So with the GoPro Hero 3+ black, I can take photos and videos directly from the app? The only thing that I can't do is turn it on and off?

Reactions: Edgarpro12
You will have to physically turn on the camera before takeoff, but it should power down when you shut down Solo. FWIW, my 3+ Black is on firmware v3.0. I believe that is the last update GoPro sent out for that model. I have full camera function with my 3+ Black, including starting/stopping video, and taking photos. Check the prices on cameras carefully. You may find that for what you pay for a 3+ Black, you could spend a little more and get the 4 Silver, which would be considered an upgraded camera. The current best bet for Solo is the 4 Black, which may cost a bit more. It is kind of a "pay me now or pay me later" scenario with cameras for Solo. Good luck.

I do have a 4 Black, but I want a cheaper one to play around with the 3dr, and get a feel for it while getting good shots while not putting my Black 4 in harms way :)

Reactions: FreebirdinNEPA
My gopro hero 4 black has been on several crash rides
the worst one took out the gimbal.
But the gopro so far has a couple scratches on it but performs prefectly

Reactions: SARDG

Thanks!

PS FIRST POST!!
"full potential" = GP4HB

I do like to have a backup though! I do have a question, how well does a GoPro HERO3+ Silver work on this? The GoPro ebay page has a good deal on this. Thanks!

Basically, my needs is the ability to see live from the 3dr, control and take photos and videos directly from the app.

Last edited:
someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe the lowest GP you can have full control over using the app is the 3+ black.

Although I think I remember something about an older firmware allowing the 3+ silver to work?

someone will be along shortly to clear it all up.

See Post #5. The 3+ Silver may have video, but could have a lot of problems with functions. The 3+ Black is the first of the GoPro cameras made for the gimbal with full functions.

Last edited:
Have a chance to get a 3DR Solo. Are the any mods that will allow the use of a gopro Hero 5 Black? If so would I need a different gimbal?
Thanks

Have a chance to get a 3DR Solo. Are the any mods that will allow the use of a gopro Hero 5 Black? If so would I need a different gimbal?
Thanks
I forgot to mention that the Hero 3+ Black is also an option for Solo. I am still using one on my first Solo. Good luck to you....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc