What do you think of this drone/multi-rotor accident ? 30 days jail + 5K fine

Wow, that's ridiculous. I don't understand the issue so many people have with "drones".
I'm glad they threw the book at him. He broke the law, he's an idiot and it's fliers like him that has ruined it for the rest of us. I'm tired of following the rules and hearing about idiots like this. I can't believe you guys are feeling sorry for him. I suppose you don't care when you see a driver with their head up their cell phone or texting either.

Reactions: Ed Beck
I'm glad they threw the book at him. He broke the law, he's an idiot and it's fliers like him that has ruined it for the rest of us. I'm tired of following the rules and hearing about idiots like this. I can't believe you guys are feeling sorry for him. I suppose you don't care when you see a driver with their head up their cell phone or texting either.
Perhaps you should go back and read what we've been saying. Because clearly you didn't. Or you were too infuriated to pay attention. What we said is the opposite of what you claim we said.

Perhaps you should go back and read what we've been saying. Because clearly you didn't. Or you were too infuriated to pay attention. What we said is the opposite of what you claim we said.
One person said: "Flying over a crowd in downtown Seattle is foolish but punishment seems harsh to me."
You said:" He deserved to be caught and punished, but not like that."
Perhaps you should go back and read what you wrote.

That's exactly why the FAA has the rules it does, moron needs to pay the piper and the injured lady!

Stupidity SHOULD be painful!

The judge is probably making an example. There's a lot of potential for others to repeat the same behavior. If a news story twice there it gives people a chance to think twice.
Only a matter of time until someone dies. To the idiot....
My liability insurance doesn't cover dumbass ness! Does yours?
Oh wait you didn't have liability insurance when you flew your 6 pound weapon with multiple rotating blades over a crowd. Do not pass go....
Go directly to Jail!

So you read what I said, quoted me, and still claim I said the opposite of what you claim. Clearly you're not interested in reality when changing it makes a much more dramatic post on the internet.

So you read what I said, quoted me, and still claim I said the opposite of what you claim. Clearly you're not interested in reality when changing it makes a much more dramatic post on the internet.
Rather than be a dick, how about explaining to me what I said that is opposite of what you claim? I said throw the book, you said punishment was too hard. What am I missing?

Without pulling the court docs & transcripts it's kind of difficult to weigh in on "the facts" as presented. I'm also confused how crashing on top of the Seattle space needle is relevant to crashing into a building, then falling on an unsuspecting civilian.

My personal feeling is that operating a drone above crowds does not constitute reckless endangerment, but operating in a manner resulting in losing control and subsequent injury does; and is subject to civil as well as "potential" criminal recourse. In this case the operator was found guilty of criminal negligence. It would be really interesting to know the specific details why.

As for the space needle, I surmise that (1) flying over 400' agl without a flight plan; (2) flying near a giant ferric metal dish; (3) flying equipment not specifically instrumented for ferric interference; (4) failing to pre-notify the requisite authorities; and (5) failing to maintain control at all times (e.g. Failing to maintain sufficient situational awareness to toggle into a non-compass mode); among numerous other considerations, collectively qualify as reckless conduct.

What if a worker was hit and knocked off the needle? (Maybe an extreme example, but you get the point).

Yeah, I suspect the judge was sending a message; and I wouldn't be surprised to learn there was a lot more to the abbreviated story reported by "news" outlets.

Rather than be a dick, how about explaining to me what I said that is opposite of what you claim? I said throw the book, you said punishment was too hard. What am I missing?

Perhaps if you quoted more than only the single last sentence of my post out of context, you wouldn't be having this problem. I'm not being a dick. I'm simply pointing out that you're accusing me of non-sense.

Last edited:
...My liability insurance doesn't cover dumbass ness! Does yours?
Oh wait you didn't have liability insurance when you flew your 6 pound weapon with multiple rotating blades over a crowd. Do not pass go....
Go directly to Jail!

Yes, as far as I know, my auto and homeowners insurance cover me if I engage in varying degrees of dumbassedness just not intentional wrongdoing. Anyone can make a mistake or be careless or have bad luck. That is one reason to buy insurance. My question for you Doug is suppose you take off from safe place but lose wireless and GPS connection and drone flys away or descends on someone causing injury? Should you still go directly to jail? Or do you have a defense?

Guys,

Man comes forward after woman knocked out by drone - BBC News

Man convicted after out-of-control drone hits building, knocks woman unconscious during Seattle Pride Parade

City Attorney’s Office prevails in drone case

As a hobby multi-rotor flyer yourself, what is your opinion ?

For me if I were the pilot, I have to willingly plead guilty, because I did hurt someone in the process.

This kind of accidents is what made me NOT wanting to fly in a city, its just too risky for us on 2.4 GHZ and 5.8 GHZ flying in areas with so much potential interference. This is not yet considering potential software bugs or mechanical failure on our toys.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Follow FAA rules, be safe and stay out of jail. Also this will make it easier for safe flyers. I have no compassion for drones in the hands of idiots.
Bill Chrismn

Are you saying the punishment was not to harsh?
Yes. Which is not the same thing as the non-sense you connected that to, saying I must be ok with texting while driving too. Too harsh does not equate to I believe he should get none at all. Your presumptions are wrong, and nothing I've said even loosely implies it. What did was wrong, stupid, and a violation of many laws. And he should be held accountable for those violations, and any injuries he caused in the process. But none of this rises to the level of jail time. There are actual violent crimes committed with malice and intent repeatedly that do not get jail time (and should!). It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
...There are actual violent crimes committed with malice and intent repeatedly that do not get jail time (and should!). It's ridiculous.

Yes, very true. All kinds of misdemeanor and felony cases involving rape, assault, theft, methamphetamine, DWI etc. I am surprised how quick some are to say lock up and throw away the key without knowing all relevant facts.

Without pulling the court docs & transcripts it's kind of difficult to weigh in on "the facts" as presented...

Checked electronic muni court docket sheet. Can see list of all documents and exhibits which make up the record. But, no direct access to source documents.

Interesting pre-trial rulings on admission of evidence include:

Prosecution motion to admit copy of defendant employer's FAA Request For Exemption (DJI Phantom 2 Vision+) (April 6, 2015): GRANTED

Prosecution motion to admit copy of FAA's Grant of Request For Exemption (DJI Phantom 2 Vision+) (August 5, 2015): GRANTED

NOTE: The accident occurred on June 28, 2015 before the FAA ruled on employer's request for exemption.

Prosecution motion to admit video from drone flight showing crowd: GRANTED

Prosecution motion to admit demonstration video showing what happens when you drop tomatoes onto whirring blades of drone: DENIED

Defendant's motion to exclude the DJI Owner's Manual: GRANTED

Jury of 6 not 12 in Muni court.

Not sure if drone video will be deemed public record prior to superior court appeal. But, maybe find out in 5 days.

The Phantom 2 remains locked in secure facility.

Court clerk asked what I needed copies of court exhibits for? So that I may educate myself as to how our criminal justice system handles important matters affecting public safety and the regulation of airspace. They will get back to me.....

Reactions: Deleted member 7413
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea