What can be done to improve the hover stability?

My Solo is new so I have nothing to compare with. I did notice an unacceptable drift until I calibrated. Now it seems very stable.

Here is my Solo #2. original Rev A GPS module and completely stock. No mods, spacers, etc. Running FW 2.4 and Android 2.3 Light wind. Controller in the back seat while I filmed with my cell phone.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Perfectly acceptable in my opinion..

I need to do this as well. I will say that I balanced my gimbal this morning (need to balance props and hub, but local hobby store of course did not have the Solo rod available, so I wait on my Amazon purchase) and went ahead and did the level and compass calibration again, no known level surfaces.

Anyway, I launched it and it was the same squirrelly walk around hover. But... after flying for a few minutes in the same wind (it was light with a few 7-10 mph gusts) and being at 50-70 feet it was much more solid. In fact the only time I noticed it really has a lot of problem (in my case) is when I'm at very low hover altitudes.

I'll try to talk similar video.

After initially having problems with the hover. I did a factory reset and re-calibrated compass and level and the hover is almost as stable as before on Android 2.3. I have moved to iOS 2.4 on a Mini 4 and so far prefer it to the Nexus 7 I was using with Android.

I have noticed another issue. At various time the Solo has momentary glitch were it wobbles tilting over 20 degress or so for split second and immediately straightens up. It may do it three time in rapid succession and then not do it again for some time.

Flight speed and Smart shot mode does not seem to be a determining factor. Have seen it in Zipline, Orbit and Fly and Follow orbit. Descending seems to trigger it more often than other actions. I need to pull logs and see if the instances correspond to a vibration peak.

Still haven't found the Data Fash logs in the Root dir.

Is there a video showing how to properly calibrate the compass? The diagrams in the app don't really makes sense to me and I am never sure if I am doing it right.

Is there a video showing how to properly calibrate the compass? The diagrams in the app don't really makes sense to me and I am never sure if I am doing it right.

Does it complete? If so I wouldn't worry.

I tried following it also and never felt like I was keeping up with the sequence either. It seems that as long as you rotate front to back and sideways (both directions) and then both 45 degree angels that it completes and all is fine.

Does it complete? If so I wouldn't worry.

I tried following it also and never felt like I was keeping up with the sequence either. It seems that as long as you rotate front to back and sideways (both directions) and then both 45 degree angels that it completes and all is fine.
I could just never understand if you keep the nose always facing north or if you are instead supposed to change it to match the diagram and always keep the end over end rolling parallel to north or not. Wish the diagram had a little North indicator or something!

you need to start north after that is just a matter of rotating it around in the earths magnetic field.

Any updates from Solo on a fix for this !!!

Yes I am dealing with Diego and just finished a factory reset and a re calibration of compass and level and then flew a test and I still have a major drift problem when in fly mode. I also did a video of the test and I will be sending it our tonight. I just sent them the logs.

Yes I am dealing with Diego and just finished a factory reset and a re calibration of compass and level and then flew a test and I still have a major drift problem when in fly mode. I also did a video of the test and I will be sending it our tonight. I just sent them the logs.

Thanks very much for the update!! I am just waiting before I doing anything or hear back from support my self.

What can be done to improve the hover stability? All of a sudden my solo does not come close to staying in place when it is suppose to. It drifts and when drifting pause does not work.

Any ideas what I can try.

Thanks in advance.

I have now sent 3dr logs 3 times and yesterday they had me do a factory reset and calibrations. i did a video before and after the reset and calibrations and both show major drift problems. I am waiting to hear back from 3dr.

What can be done to improve the hover stability? All of a sudden my solo does not come close to staying in place when it is suppose to. It drifts and when drifting pause does not work.

Any ideas what I can try.

Thanks in advance.

07-12-16 3DR is replacing my Solo and I received my RMA and my shipping label. Now I have to get everything packed. IMHO no more no less I think the combination of the logs and the videos did the trick.

image.jpeg I am reading this thread with high interest.
I am experiencing an occasional drifting by ~6-9 ft under windy conditions during the first 10 minutes of flying.
It's getting better over time, and by the second battery Solo is finally becoming rock stable.

What I found so far are heavy vibrations along the z axis att the beginning of the first flight of the day, well over the maximum allowed threshold of 60m/sec2. Vibes decrease over time as Solo is getting stable (see picture). (and yes, props are well balanced and motors are ok)

I also noticed a huge compass offset on my Solo along the z axis of 310 (threshold +/-150) which indicates a compass interference.

I don't know if this correlates with the drifting, nor the root cause for the offset, but it would potentially explain why some are experiencing drifting while others are doing fine.

I f you could do me a favor, could you please post your compass offsets here and note if you are experiencing drifting or not.
Thanks!

@Wacky roger, I have the same problem after the 2.4 update.
Before, Solo was rock solid even in light wind. Now it flops around like a drunken sailor.
I too had the Drunken Sailor problem! Hovering all over the place, probably in 5-8 foot range. During a simple 2 point cable cam, it swayed about 4-6 feet back and forth over the 200 feet of the cable cam. It was a bit breezy but under 10mph. Not happy.

View attachment 3808 I am reading this thread with high interest.
I am experiencing an occasional drifting by ~6-9 ft under windy conditions during the first 10 minutes of flying.
It's getting better over time, and by the second battery Solo is finally becoming rock stable.

What I found so far are heavy vibrations along the z axis att the beginning of the first flight of the day, well over the maximum allowed threshold of 60m/sec2. Vibes decrease over time as Solo is getting stable (see picture). (and yes, props are well balanced and motors are ok)

I also noticed a huge compass offset on my Solo along the z axis of 310 (threshold +/-150) which indicates a compass interference.

I don't know if this correlates with the drifting, nor the root cause for the offset, but it would potentially explain why some are experiencing drifting while others are doing fine.

I f you could do me a favor, could you please post your compass offsets here and note if you are experiencing drifting or not.
Thanks!
This is an amazing analysis of the situation! How do you do this, anyway?

That would certainly effect it's ability to hold a position. Since I think we can all agree the software update didn't alter the physical characteristics of the body, motors, and props... Did something in the update really screw up the pixhawk's ability to calculate and interpret it's own readings??

Simple log analysis. :)

Btw, I think I found a solution for this problem.

Do a compass calibration followed by a level calibration. In this sequence, not the other way round. That fixed the issue for me.

I think numerous people have done that, although I can't say they did in that specific order. I'm not sure how that would fix vibrations though? Did you log vibration AFTER the calibration and see that it went away?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela