Well, I'm I need of (3DR) group therapy!

Also don't forget Solo is based on open source Arducopter, so it just keeps getting better every day. Also check out Mission Planner. This free software turns your (PC) laptop into a ground station, and is fully compatible with Solo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting what Vegasrobbi wrote above..... how 3DR Smart Shots is much more advanced than the other manufacturers platforms......

This is Solo today, my P4 and H simply can't do these shots.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Jubalr
This is Solo today, my P4 and H simply can't do these shots.

I was trying to get another battery :), so far I love my new hobby.

Ok why can the P4 and H not get those shots. Is it because of smart shots and solex? One view had what appeared to be orbit around a moving target straight into a selfie or cable of some sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was trying to get another battery :), so far I love my new hobby.

Ok why can the P4 and H not get those shots. Is it because of smart shots and solex? One view had what appeared to be orbit around a moving target straight into a selfie or cable of some sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This was well covered over a year ago on another forum with DJI guys as well. All trying to duplicate Solo's smart shots with 3rd parthy software available for the DJI. Robbi, having all 3 tried his best (like others have) to duplicate the Solo MPCC in particular. They never did. It is the difference that Solo has 2 computers that the others don't; 1 ea in the controller an on board the Solo. @Vegasrobbi can probably explain the DJI and Yuneec approach as he has all 3. But here is one of his tests (I think he did several)..

Absolutely stunning photography

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The crazy thing about MPCC is and other shots including the camera tilt presets
there is an ease into and ease out of the endpoints and way points. That is an incredibly amazing calculation that you only see in some video editing software.
On top of that, if you compare the arch calculated in the Tower or MP spline way point to the archs calculated in a MPCC, the old auto spline way points are still much more abrupt, and compare to what you see on DJI and Yuneec.
The solo uses a very interesting path calculation that looks at the entire path and smooths it. That is why some people get in trouble with MPCC way points the decline rapidly to a way point near the ground. solo is smoothing the flight path right into the ground

to solve that by the way, you have to put tight way points in a triangle if you want a sharp curve. The down side is that three close together waypoints slow the speed to a crawl due to the fore mentioned easing in and out

I think it's important to realize that the entire UAVs for consumers is not 100% reliable. There just isn't any system out there that one can say is 100% plug and play and get the best results, time and time again. No, the industry is still in a relative infancy. To buy a consumer drone camera system is to have your head in it. There aren't any shortcuts.

Reactions: FlyXlsa
I think it's important to realize that the entire UAVs for consumers is not 100% reliable. There just isn't any system out there that one can say is 100% plug and play and get the best results, time and time again. No, the industry is still in a relative infancy. To buy a consumer drone camera system is to have your head in it. There aren't any shortcuts.

Agreed for sure! For those of us old enough to remember the "birth" of the personal computer market in the late 70's and early 80's, there are A LOT of similarities!

Interesting what Vegasrobbi wrote above..... how 3DR Smart Shots is much more advanced than the other manufacturers platforms......

Absolutely agreed. The smart shots are what make any/every issue with the Solo, WORTH IT.

That said, my P3P has been flawless...the stability, the vibration-free gimbal, the quick 16+ satellite acquisition, the 50% better flight time, the vastly superior range (though I don't use that much), the lighter weight when hiking (compared to the Solo itself and multiplied by having to carry fewer batteries), the quieter noise signature (which is even better with the Mavic), the 4K video and especially the rectilinear lens, are all a joy to use. If I could find software that could replicate smart shots, I'd probably go all-in on DJI.

--

Bill

Robby...can you point me to those props please? And why do you think they are better?

Thanks...

--

Bill

I'm using APC 11x4.5 MR props.
APC 11x4.5 Multi Rotor Set (4)

I think better is a relative term. For me these props are quieter than stock, I have not tried the MA props though. More importantly most of my flying is above 6,000 feet, usually closer to 8,000 feet and the 11" props are more efficient in the thin air and extend my flight times. Finally but maybe most importantly I feel the larger props also have a larger gyroscopic effect causing Solo to fly smoother, less whipping around especially in the wind.

I have a P3P and P4 and the gimbals on the DJI quads do a better job isolating vibrations and vehicle movement; Solo needs help stabilizing the footage and I feel the larger props tend to do this. Solo's gimbal moves are unmatched IMO but the isolation and dampening is not as good as even some of the low cost Chinese gimbals.

A couple caveat's with these props. You will need to ream them out to fit and you will only grab about 3/4 of the nut thread. I was concerned about this at first but over 100 flights later I don't think about it anymore. The stock props have a short stand built in which raises them off the motor, the APC props sit on the motor. So lowering the prop and the larger diameter mean more prop gets in the shot especially in 4k, in 2.7k not so much.

I like these props, and I now have 3 Solo's, so I'm going to turn out some prop adapters with short stands built in like stock to.

Zero problems with mine, of coarse I did read the manual tho...
Just sayin'

I'm confident I would have found the problem, and by you not mentioning strange lights, I would guess one of the Microtik wifi boards - but you are so far from Tromsø it's hard to help :)

Thanks for that Robby...

I'm using APC 11x4.5 MR props.
APC 11x4.5 Multi Rotor Set (4)

I think better is a relative term. For me these props are quieter than stock, I have not tried the MA props though. More importantly most of my flying is above 6,000 feet, usually closer to 8,000 feet and the 11" props are more efficient in the thin air and extend my flight times. Finally but maybe most importantly I feel the larger props also have a larger gyroscopic effect causing Solo to fly smoother, less whipping around especially in the wind.

I have a P3P and P4 and the gimbals on the DJI quads do a better job isolating vibrations and vehicle movement; Solo needs help stabilizing the footage and I feel the larger props tend to do this. Solo's gimbal moves are unmatched IMO but the isolation and dampening is not as good as even some of the low cost Chinese gimbals.

A couple caveat's with these props. You will need to ream them out to fit and you will only grab about 3/4 of the nut thread. I was concerned about this at first but over 100 flights later I don't think about it anymore. The stock props have a short stand built in which raises them off the motor, the APC props sit on the motor. So lowering the prop and the larger diameter mean more prop gets in the shot especially in 4k, in 2.7k not so much.

I like these props, and I now have 3 Solo's, so I'm going to turn out some prop adapters with short stands built in like stock to.

Zero problems with mine, of coarse I did read the manual tho...
Just sayin'

See everyone says this.... Not only did I read the manual but I also watched all of Colin's videos. I admit to not retaining all of it though....Hahaha! The 'blame the end user' tactic was exactly what turned a lot of enthusiasts against 3DR and imo a root cause of their demise.

On the other hand, all of the positive posts highlighting solo's abilities has reinvigorated my confidence in the platform and I thank everyone for that! I agree that I need to take more time and fly more. I also think that I have honest, legitimate concerns that won't be pushed aside with either insults or snide comments. 'Just saying'.

Reactions: Russ Knight
Agreed for sure! For those of us old enough to remember the "birth" of the personal computer market in the late 70's and early 80's, there are A LOT of similarities!

I can see this comparison being accurate. I took my first computer programming class in the late 70s using a Tandy platform and saving programs on cassette tapes. I also had a very, very small role in the original Oregon Trail program.

I'm confident I would have found the problem, and by you not mentioning strange lights, I would guess one of the Microtik wifi boards - but you are so far from Tromsø it's hard to help :)

I'm not sure if this was towards me but I checked out the lights inside the controller for the correct "sequence" of orange and green. I did finally get an answer from 3DR telling me to reset the system but I had already tried that. As I've posted, I just returned the defective unit for a refund. I admit to not spending a lot of time on it but as I've stated, I don't have a lot of that commodity. I'm posting now while on my way to a job site and I thought to check the forum. Going forwards, for what it's worth, I'm going to try to be more patient AND I'm going to try to illicit more help from you guys if that's okay.

I owe the very first solo that came into fry's electronic, when it first came out. Indianapolis. I have only one solo, lots of upgrades, I have never had an issue with my solo. I have been all over the united states with my solo.
I accident, operator error.

I have flown other drones.

I love my solo.

I've realized that you guys are right. Up until now, I've been a very casual user with the Parrot line. I took a huge step forward when I purchased the Solo and I admit to being ill prepared. I honestly want to thank everyone that posted positively and honestly! I mean that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea