We have a spy among us...

They've also asked DJI to set at the table. As well as the AMA. I think they are asking people in the industry to be involved and help formulate how this happens. I'd rather have people from within the drone community help make the rules instead of leaving it up to a bunch of bureaucrats who have no idea who we are.

I'm disappointed they support registration, because it will do nothing to help.
I'm sure 3dr doesn't want people to register drones either, but if the DOT and FAA are set on this... 3DR might as well be in a position to provide input. Just ignoring it could result in even more unreasonable and restrictive rules.

I'm disappointed they support registration, because it will do nothing to help.

I suspect their support of registration is in large part because it's going to happen regardless. The media has sensationalized and radicalized the public to such an extent that politicians have no choice but to look like they're doing something. And let's fact it, politicians are just as likely to buy into the hysteria as the average ignorant citizen.

While I would be happier with a solution that would address the actual problem, having 3DR on the task force at least offers some reassurance that our interests will be represented in forthcoming legislation. Having laws so restrictive that flying these things becomes not worth the hassle, also severely degrades 3DR's business prospects.

When I discovered just how much land around me was covered by the 5 mile radius rule, I quickly looked up the date I received my Solo to see if I was still within the 30 day money back guarantee period. The last thing I need is to tie up this much money only to be hassled by police every time I attempt to use it.

You've all made the same points I was thinking about- mainly it's good to have 3DR there to look out after our interests.
Another good point was that if it's gonna happen, they might as well say they're on-board.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Another good point was that if it's gonna happen, they might as well say they're on-board.

Yup, it's the old "if you don't vote, you can't complain about the election" thing. It'd be unlikely they'd be offered a seat at the drone registration table if they were vocally against drone registration. And while registration itself doesn't impose any restrictions, they can make sure our (and by extension their) interests are represented when restrictions ARE created.

Reactions: Maddog
I think its a good idea. I think it will help lessen the need for further restrictions. My take on the main point of registration is to make easer to find the people who are already flying illegally. The spokesperson said in the address, they are not having so much an issue with finding the drones that are causing problems but the owners. so if you crash your drone at the us open it will have your name on it. Might make some think about when and where to fly!

but I wonder how much it will cost..

I think its a good idea. I think it will help lessen the need for further restrictions. My take on the main point of registration is to make easer to find the people who are already flying illegally. The spokesperson said in the address, they are not having so much an issue with finding the drones that are causing problems but the owners. so if you crash your drone at the us open it will have your name on it. Might make some think about when and where to fly!

but I wonder how much it will cost..
How are you going to make current drone owners put their identification on their drone?

If they are irresponsible owners they can simply ignore the rules.

Hey its the FAA, not me....So if registration is required, it could be based on serial number or could require a tail number or? They said fines for noncompliance, so park rangers, police & sheriff officers could issue tickets to those who don't. You would not even need to be flying it.

Reactions: Acroduster
Hey its the FAA, not me....So if registration is required, it could be based on serial number or could require a tail number or? They said fines for noncompliance, so park rangers, police & sheriff officers could issue tickets to those who don't. You would not even need to be flying it.
I realize it's the FAA. Because it will be a federal offense, it could only be enforced by federal law enforcement- not local PD or sheriff which makes it even harder to enforce.

I realize it's the FAA. Because it will be a federal offense, it could only be enforced by federal law enforcement- not local PD or sheriff which makes it even harder to enforce.
Not really. The rule could stipulate local peace officer and municipal officials can request license and registration, even if it is federally registered.

Not really. The rule could stipulate local peace officer and municipal officials can request license and registration, even if it is federally registered.
They could 'stipulate' all they want, but it can't be enforced locally. It would be up to each state/local government to pass legislation that would mirror the feds requirements. Which I'm sure some will do.

I'm curious how many currwent pilots
They could 'stipulate' all they want, but it can't be enforced locally. It would be up to each state/local government to pass legislation that would mirror the feds requirements. Which I'm sure some will do.

I disagree. Under current FAA regulation any LEO can ask for you pilot licences. What the difference of the registration- let's see how it is actually written. If you fail to comply they file a complaint to the FAA against you. Now you have a lot of fun at your hands.

14 CFR 61.3(l)(3)
Inspection of certificate. Each person who holds an airman certificate, medical certificate, authorization, or license required by this part must present it and their photo identification as described in paragraph (a)(2) of this section for inspection upon a request from:

• (1) The Administrator;
    (2) An authorized representative of the National Transportation Safety Board; or
    (3) Any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer.
    (4) An authorized representative of the Transportation Security Administration.

Register an aircraft is really no big deal. It one of the cheapest registration you'll ever have to pay for. You will need proof of ownership - I used my internet order receipt. Serial number, N-number reserved and $5.00

upload_2015-10-27_19-32-46.png

upload_2015-10-27_19-29-17.png

I'm curious how many currwent pilots

I disagree. Under current FAA regulation any LEO can ask for you pilot licences. What the difference of the registration- let's see how it is actually written. If you fail to comply they file a complaint to the FAA against you. Now you have a lot of fun at your hands.

14 CFR 61.3(l)(3)
Inspection of certificate. Each person who holds an airman certificate, medical certificate, authorization, or license required by this part must present it and their photo identification as described in paragraph (a)(2) of this section for inspection upon a request from:

• (1) The Administrator;
    (2) An authorized representative of the National Transportation Safety Board; or
    (3) Any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer.
    (4) An authorized representative of the Transportation Security Administration.
Correct, and what I said. I can ask to 'see' it. But that's it. No enforcement, no charges for any FAA violations. All I could do is refer it to the FAA, Not that they are understaffed or anything and already busy with non drone related business.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela