Watching Solo video on PC

Rod

Reaction score
Has anyone succeeded at watching the video feed from Solo on their PC? I've looked at the Solo Developer Guide Beta and it suggests connecting to 10.1.1.1 5502. Then, use VLC to open sololink.sdp I've tried everything I can think of to open the video, once connection is established. Nothing seems to work for me. Am I missing something simple? I'm on an OSX machine.

Has anyone succeeded at watching the video feed from Solo on their PC? I've looked at the Solo Developer Guide Beta and it suggests connecting to 10.1.1.1 5502. Then, use VLC to open sololink.sdp I've tried everything I can think of to open the video, once connection is established. Nothing seems to work for me. Am I missing something simple? I'm on an OSX machine.

I tried this once again after reading the instructions carefully. It seems that once I join the Solo WiFi network with my OSX laptop, the controller goes off.

No, I tried using both methods suggested in the Developers Guide, netcat to establish a link, and playing the video in the app to establish a link. I assume this is done to get the sololink.sdp file to be created. Nothing. I tried every possible combination of streaming video inputs to VLC. The best I got was the connection bar spinning. I also tried putting the sdp file in the DSS movies folder and using QT7 Player; that just went to "ready" and sat there. I tried pinging both the Solo and the Controller; got 100% packet loss and a number of unsuccessful pings. I'm beginning to think this path is somehow protected more than is obvious/documented.

No, I tried using both methods suggested in the Developers Guide, netcat to establish a link, and playing the video in the app to establish a link. I assume this is done to get the sololink.sdp file to be created. Nothing. I tried every possible combination of streaming video inputs to VLC. The best I got was the connection bar spinning. I also tried putting the sdp file in the DSS movies folder and using QT7 Player; that just went to "ready" and sat there. I tried pinging both the Solo and the Controller; got 100% packet loss and a number of unsuccessful pings. I'm beginning to think this path is somehow protected more than is obvious/documented.

BTW, running both the iOS and Android app at the same time will show the control traffic is active, but only one video streams at a time. This is consistent with what I had expected.

Did you get it to work on your pc?

Well, I "almost" got VLC to work. I connected to the Solo network with both my tablet and my computer. Ran VLC and entered rtsp://10.1.1.1:5502/sololink.sdp In both cases, the controller tells me that the 3DR app is running (which of course it isn't on the laptop). Still no video, but when running VLC trying to connect on the laptop, it keeps the app from displaying video on the tablet. As soon as I stop VLC on the laptop, the video shows up on the tablet. So close, but no cigar. Anyone have a suggestion?

Well, I "almost" got VLC to work. I connected to the Solo network with both my tablet and my computer. Ran VLC and entered rtsp://10.1.1.1:5502/sololink.sdp In both cases, the controller tells me that the 3DR app is running (which of course it isn't on the laptop). Still no video, but when running VLC trying to connect on the laptop, it keeps the app from displaying video on the tablet. As soon as I stop VLC on the laptop, the video shows up on the tablet. So close, but no cigar. Anyone have a suggestion?

I got it working on my macbook! Make the file they suggest in text editor and open it with VLC, then in the terminal run the command:
nc 10.1.1.1 5502

VLC then connects and the video appears. I got no video in the app while doing this.

Reactions: erikgraham
I got it working on my macbook! Make the file they suggest in text editor and open it with VLC, then in the terminal run the command:
nc 10.1.1.1 5502

VLC then connects and the video appears. I got no video in the app while doing this.

Thanks, I created the sdp file, but didn't open the network in a command line as I was already connected to the network. Guess there are no shortcuts in life. Had to send the unit back for service. The Solo and Controller are not talking and won't pair. I will try this out first thing when I get it back. I had done a workaround using my own broadcast application and looking at the stream on another PC connected over the network, just to verify that it would handle more traditional streaming videos as well.

H.264, ~4 Mbps. Bitrate depends on subject material.

I don't have to time to read the whole thread right now, so I apologize for repeating something, someone else might have mentioned already...

I use a program called 5DtoRGB and it is the bomb! It is actually just an exe file that you execute and then just drag the video file you need to convert into it. It will take your GoPro mp4 files and converts then in to MOV file with ProRes. I use ProRes444 Lite.

Once you have done that your computer should have less "trouble" playing the files. Because now they are "uncompressed" compared to the compressed files, straight form the GoPro... Also try using MediaPlayerClassis. I found that it plays files smoother than VLC...

thanks.
I think you misunderstood what this thread is about.

No luck so far with vlc on a Mac. Any hints appreciated.

Is that the bitrate of the gopro recorded stream or the one sent over the WIfi link?

That is the bitrate of the stream sent via wifi.
Depending on your settings, the gopro recorded bitrate is anything from 24 to 55 Mbps.

Hi all - any luck with this?
I am interested to receive the solo video stream simultaneously at multiple end points, e.g. on my tower app, my solo app and my laptop

I see there has been recent activity here:
https://dev.3dr.com/concept-video.html
...but It seems this is still not the correct description.
for now I think the solo app needs to be turned off and then vlc can stream.

It seems that until now only one device at a time is able to stream.

I envisage a similar approach to mavproxy with splitting the telemetry data in from solo and multiple out.
Does anyone know whether/when an API might be published to stream to multiple devices/apps at the same time?

I've tried all the suggestions in this thread...no joy. Where we learn that the stream is on 5502? I think the documentation calls for 5600 (that's what is in the sdp file anyway).

I am trying to get this working as a precursor to writing a Google Glass App that displays the live video in Glass, but no luck so far.....

I posted in diydrones on this issue hoping a 3DR developer would recognize that we were struggling with something he wrote in the guide's concept-video section.
Seems the developer guide's description of the .sdp file has the port for the video stream as 5600. I had not tried 5502. Where did this number come from? Some other documentation?
I have even tried using this url inside VLC to view the stream: rtp://@10.1.1.1:5600. No joy at all.
I'd like to view the video stream on multiple devices. Shucks, I view the video broadcast off my Iris+ with multiple devices going old school...RF is just easy some times.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000