Video Editing Tips

Got to love it when a Drone/gimbal company posts an article talking about how to stabilize your footage !

:rolleyes:

Reactions: Nolan and Raybro
Catering to the new boots and trying to douse the flames that not having a gimbal are creating, especially since people or posting vids.

Taking my Phantom down to the river this morning to get some GOOD video. Have an autonomous 1 mile mission down the river planned. Then coming back to the house to play around with mission planner on the Solo.

Reactions: DodgeP and rrmccabe
Taking my Phantom down to the river this morning to get some GOOD video. Have an autonomous 1 mile mission down the river planned. Then coming back to the house to play around with mission planner on the Solo.
Sounds pretty awesome..Should make for a great video. Like the one Rich had on the river. Great video.

Ready to roll....the downside to this is: swap GoPro from Solo to P2, gotta charge the GoPro up because the static mount does not charge it, charge up Zippy Lipos for datalink, charge Black Pearl battery, P2 batteries. Lots of charging going on.
And now wait for the fog to clear which is kinda unusual for central Texas in July??? Global warming....:eek::D:eek::D
image.jpg

Ready to roll....the downside to this is: gotta charge the GoPro up because the static mount does not charge it, charge up Zippy Lipos for datalink, charge Black Pearl battery, P2 batteries. Lots of charging going on. And now wait for the fog to clear which is kinda unusual for central Texas in July??? Global warming....:eek::D:eek::D
Hey, the fog would make a great visual in the video. You did say autonomous right?:)

Sounds pretty awesome..Should make for a great video. Like the one Rich had on the river. Great video.
I've flown the P2 twice in the past month. Been flying the Solo nearly everyday since I got it and am building confidence with it.
I still don't have full confidence in the P2 since I replaced an ESC and motor on it last month. And if she goes down today it's in the river and bye bye Phantom AND GoPro.
:eek:

Hey, the fog would make a great visual in the video. You did say autonomous right?:)
Yes.
I asked Rich earlier about Tower and the need for radio. I have heard that the Phantom will continue flying a mission without RC contact, although I have gone out as far as 1 1/2 mile and still had gimbal control.
Will the Solo operate in the same manner? I am going to start playing around with Tower today and would like to go some distance but not sure if it would RTH if it loses radio contact.

I've flown the P2 twice in the past month. Been flying the Solo nearly everyday since I got it and am building confidence with it.
I still don't have full confidence in the P2 since I replaced an ESC and motor on it last month. And if she goes down today it's in the river and bye bye Phantom AND GoPro.
:eek:
I know.. You are right and I feel the same way. A year or so I built an incredible 800 size Hex. I got only the best parts available; Best ESCs, Motors, batteries, CF props, etc.. It was incredibly smooth and had a DYS 3 axis gimbal. Was flying at a show and up about 300' getting photos when the hex went inverted and fell to the ground! The cause..The XT-60 battery connector that powered the hex had a small split causing it to come loose. The most fascinating thing about that, was the DYS gimbal kept the horizon UP even when it went inverted. Nobody knew it was capable of that.. Here is the video. (camera and gimbal were powered separately).
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Was using 900mhz for the live feed at low res. That is why the lousy quality..But notice that you can briefly see the legs of the hex pointing straight up!

Reactions: Raybro
Yes.
I asked Rich earlier about Tower and the need for radio. I have heard that the Phantom will continue flying a mission without RC contact, although I have gone out as far as 1 1/2 mile and still had gimbal control.
Will the Solo operate in the same manner? I am going to start playing around with Tower today and would like to go some distance but not sure if it would RTH if it loses radio contact.
I haven't checked to see if that is in Tower or not. With MP you designate how you want it to respond in the event of signal loss; RTH, Contintue mission, Land, etc..

I haven't checked to see if that is in Tower or not. With MP you designate how you want it to respond in the event of signal loss; RTH, Contintue mission, Land, etc..
I see,
I'm behind the power curve on this. I have not looked at MP into detail yet.

I know.. You are right and I feel the same way. A year or so I built an incredible 800 size Hex. I got only the best parts available; Best ESCs, Motors, batteries, CF props, etc.. It was incredibly smooth and had a DYS 3 axis gimbal. Was flying at a show and up about 300' getting photos when the hex went inverted and fell to the ground! The cause..The XT-60 battery connector that powered the hex had a small split causing it to come loose. The most fascinating thing about that, was the DYS gimbal kept the horizon UP even when it went inverted. Nobody knew it was capable of that.. Here is the video. (camera and gimbal were powered separately).
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Was using 900mhz for the live feed at low res. That is why the lousy quality..But notice that you can briefly see the legs of the hex pointing straight up!
Wow! I'm sure that was not a good feeling seeing that. That gimbal action was amazing! Full 180 rotation.

Mission success. Post video later. No bird (or camera) inthe water.
image.jpg
Colorado River at La Grange, Tx.

Another area I flew today. Site of the Bastrop fire of 2011. Nearly 4 years later. Nothing but sticks standing. Burnt several thousand acres and took several weeks to put out. The cleared area on this side of the highway was a mountain of pine mulch where they ground up all the dead burned up pine trees.
image.jpg

Mission success. Post video later. No bird (or camera) inthe water.
View attachment 283
Colorado River at La Grange, Tx.

Looking forward to seeing the video. I can't believe your Phantom stays connected to the RC at 1+ mile out. It would be cool if the Tower app can give the Solo that kind of distance without needing to stay connected to the remote.

Another area I flew today. Site of the Bastrop fire of 2011. Nearly 4 years later. Nothing but sticks standing. Burnt several thousand acres and took several weeks to put out. The cleared area on this side of the highway was a mountain of pine mulch where they ground up all the dead burned up pine trees.
View attachment 284

It would make some cool footage to fly between all those pine trees!

It would make some cool footage to fly between all those pine trees!
Unfortunately the worst part of it with many dead trees still standing is in the State Park and I don't want a ticket....it would be cool.
The Solo will go out past a mile line of sight. Right now I am working with Mission Planner which I just installed on my laptop. A couple of fellas here said it will fly the mission without regards to transmitter connection.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc