Vibration

Reaction score
So I was hired to do a golf course shoot with a guy that had a big DJI rig but sold it when the FAA wanted pilots to be licensed. This guy has tons of time shooting video for television.

He hired me with my Solo. I just spoke to him tonight regarding the footage and he said that my gimbal is not nearly as good as his DJI gear. When I blew the video up to full screen, 27 inches and I can see what he's talking about.

I have balanced the props per Youtube videos, flying slow at 1080/medium/60fps and was shocked. I just watched Colin's video on gimbal installation and I had it all correct.

Hero 4's software is updated as of tonight so I'm not sure what to do. I can't answer big professional jobs for guys that have been doing video production for years and not be able to delivery.

Anyone have any answers? Anyone from 3DR watching these threads?

So I was hired to do a golf course shoot... ...and he said that my gimbal is not nearly as good as his DJI gear. When I blew the video up to full screen, 27 inches and I can see what he's talking about.

Hero 4's software is updated as of tonight so I'm not sure what to do...

Anyone have any answers? Anyone from 3DR watching these threads?
First off, if anyone from 3DR is watching, they aren't responding. That aside... will your contract allow you to post the video here for forum scrutiny? You will get suggestions galore, I am certain.

The Hero 4 update shouldn't help at all with "vibrations", and may even give you additional headaches in capturing your footage. Many who have updated to v 4, went back to v 3. I never updated.

Back on topic... most of the pros here use image stabilization software in post. I'm a former "pro" I suppose, and I use it. Search for 'stabilization' on the forum and be rewarded with many threads. You may be experiencing other vibration problems from a cable rubbing internally on the gimbal. ETA: there are posts on this forum with ideas for cable-routing/treatment to further reduce vibrations.

Last edited:
Reactions: jibcamera
i agree with SARDG ,,, & dont just hand over raw footage to client if possible. Depending on what editing software you use (preferably FCP or Adobe Premiere) use "Stabilization" or "Warp Stabilizer" just enough to get any shakes out of the trimmed actual shots(not any extraneous footage)..best to apply the stabilization to the individual clips as they will each have their unique amount of fix needed. And of course shoot in 2.7K or 4K to allow alot of crop factor wiggle room and still retain full 1080+ resolution...cheers

Reactions: Jubalr
image stabilization is the key. dji uses it. the gopro doesn't have it. so that means you must do it in post. hell even red epic footage that gets brought into NukeX gets stabilization.

adobe warp is good or prodrenalin are great options and nothing can beat mercalli. check out mercalli stabilizing this footage of an action cam strapped to the nosewheel of a 747.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I strive to get shake free video, but honestly aerial video is alway best stabelized in post
watch for mercalli on sale for 99 bucks
rogh edit, stabelize and then final edit away

I strive to get shake free video, but honestly aerial video is alway best stabelized in post
watch for mercalli on sale for 99 bucks...
Yeah, and unfortunately it just went OFF sale last weekend. Best I've found if you don't want to wait for the next sale is B&H for $189.

I just posed some info as a followup in this thread: Gopro Hero4 Micro vibrations

I know some seem to not be effected by these vibrations with a totally stock Solo, but I wasn't. I ended up making a new HDMI cable and a small extension for the gimbal data cable. With them and balanced props, the difference was night and day. Here's my cables, and you can read more about them in the above thread.

View media item 408

Reactions: jibcamera

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea