using tower instead of using 3dr to fly

Reaction score
i've been poking around tower. i like the additional telemetry information. besides losing smart shots and geo fencing, are there any other features you would lose if you used tower?

one cool feature i like tower has to continue the flight even if it loses signal before activating RTH. i've lost signal during orbit shots that were scary because drone pops up and tries to go through the thing you were orbiting. in theory it should have just continued and perhaps i would have regained signal..

it is for autonamos flight, the power is in missions
Its not an either or, use both
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: dorniiif
one cool feature i like tower has to continue the flight even if it loses signal before activating RTH. i've lost signal during orbit shots that were scary because drone pops up and tries to go through the thing you were orbiting. in theory it should have just continued and perhaps i would have regained signal..

First things first, you need to set you RTH altitude before each flight to accommodate the conditions where you're flying. If you hit something during an RTH because it was too low, that is pilot error for not setting the RTH altitude high enough.

The ability to have it continue with a smart shot upon losing signal does not require the use of tower. You just change that parameter on the Solo and it will apply regardless of what application (or no application at all) you are using. You will need Tower to access and change the parameter, but once you change it, it stays that way. There are inherent risks to this. Like if you send it off on a zip line and it flies out range, it will just keep going until the battery failsafe kicks in. At which point it will probably be too far away to make it back in time.

Tower does not provide signal strength information when used with the Solo. So just be aware of that too.

Anyway, as @pyrate said, Tower is a very mission specific application. It was around long before the Solo. And it is not intended or able to replace the Solo specific applications.

so when i watched the video above he changes:
FS_THR_ENABLE, to value 2.

Now if i don't fly with tower what happens if it loses signal?

Again that parameter has nothing to do with the application you're using. Tower just allows you to change the parameter. Once you change it, it stays that way. You can use whatever application you want. Or no application at all. That change remains in effect. If you change that parameter, and you lose signal while in a smart shot or an auto mission, it will continue the programmed flight/shot as if it hasn't lose signal.

which could be real bad if you have it set on zipline
I recommend setting it back when you are done with missions

which could be real bad if you have it set on zipline
I recommend setting it back when you are done with missions
I may have to test that to see. But I would assume that since zipline needs input in order to move, should the input stop from the controller it should stop where it is. Just like it does now with the controller signal being received. If you fly along a zipline and let go of the sticks, it stops because the input has stopped. Would not a loss of signal also result in the same behavior?
eb2611746edbf265db4efd74384d9f22.jpg

Unless you hit the forward/backward button on the screen to let it run the zip line on it's own without the sticks. It has that just like MPCC does, doesn't it?

Unless you hit the forward/backward button on the screen to let it run the zip line on it's own without the sticks. It has that just like MPCC does, doesn't it?
Yeah, I think so. I have always used the sticks as it lets you control the speed as well. Not sure about the arrows and function. Will have to check and see. Thanx..

hmm. the fail safe throttle option 2 is is continue with mission in auto mode.

does that mean in normal solex or 3dr app flying since that isn't mission mode means it would RTL? meaning is the function exclusive to tower.

I could be wrong but is guided and auto the same?
Smart shoots are guided, and so I would assume zipline is guided
which I think is auto
meaning the parameter would not kick RTH on in guided or smart shots
but I could be wrong, I know the modes don't translate exactly across solo ardu and ardu

I aint testing it, chasing a drone is not something I call fun.
I have that parameter written down in case I ever do a mission with solo that might break connection, but thus far have never used it.

I'm half way through creating a mission to fly my big DIY around our field in a pattern. The first run I set the way points to hold for 10 seconds each.
I then flew solo to each of the hold positions and framed the DIY in a MPCC that is saved
Have not gotten up the courage to take the delays out, and attempt to manually fly the solo on the cable to film the DIY performing the mission

As of the latest firmware update (2.4.1-6), that parameter no longer applies only to auto mode on the Pixhawk. That now affects auto and guided mode. Auto mode is the pre-planned waypoint missions created using Tower or Mission Planner. Guided is the companion computer directing the flight. All the smart shots use guided mode. So if you program a smart shot that takes the Solo out of range, or your controller craps out on you in the middle of the shot, it will continue with the shot as programmed. This can be very handy if you're doing something like an orbit around an obstruction where you lose signal temporarily.

However, you must use this wisely and understand the implications. For example, you setup a zipline, push the play button, and it starts moving along the line. The very nature of zipline means it will keep going along an infinite course. With that parameter set, it can now keep going beyond the range of the controller. It will just keep going until the battery reaches failsafe level. At which point, it probably won't have enough juice to make it home, and will crash on the way back. Another scenario, is you're doing basically any other smart shot and the controller dies. In the case of a MPCC, it will proceed to the end, then just sit there until the battery failsafe kicks in. With an orbit smart shot, it will just keep orbiting around and around until the battery failsafe kicks in.

So again, use this parameter wisely.

hmm. the fail safe throttle option 2 is is continue with mission in auto mode.

does that mean in normal solex or 3dr app flying since that isn't mission mode means it would RTL? meaning is the function exclusive to tower.
Yes. It only has an effect on smart shots or waypoint missions created in Tower or Mission Planner. All the normal flight modes are unaffected by this. In the case of normal flight modes, it will RTH/RTM as normal.

thanks for the confirm, zipline is the one I worried about
My plan was to change it back when I did not need it
so far I have not even tried it

p2p you two post are confusing. in your first post you said "As of the latest firmware update (2.4.1-6), that parameter no longer applies only to auto mode on the Pixhawk. That now affects auto and guided mode" However, you must use this wisely and understand the implications. For example, you setup a zipline, push the play button, and it starts moving along the line. The very nature of zipline means it will keep going along an infinite course. With that parameter set, it can now keep going beyond the range of the controller.

then in your second post "Yes. It only has an effect on smart shots or waypoint missions created in Tower or Mission Planner. All the normal flight modes are unaffected by this. In the case of normal flight modes, it will RTH/RTM as normal."

So if i had FS-Throttle set to option 2 and i'm flying with my stock solo app. I use a smart shot/guided orbit shot, half way around the smart shot i lose radio signal, will the drone continue the shot or would it RTL?

sorry for the confusion,
sid

Waypoint Missions in Tower or Mission Planner use AUTO MODE on the Pixhawk. Smart Shots use GUIDED MODE on the pixhawk. I said the same thing. Once in technical flight controller terms, and once in Solo english. It will continue with the orbit smart shot, or any other smart shot regardless of what app you are using, or even if you're using no app at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000