Welcome to 3DRPilots.com

Use GoPro in its clear case? Any attachments that would allow?

Discussion in 'GoPro/GoPro Gimbal' started by spartaHawk, Dec 18, 2016.

1. spartaHawk

I'm interested in flying with the gopro in its protective case. Are there any 3rd party attachments that would allow this? Of course there would be no gimbal option and the GoPro would have to be started and stopped manually.

2. Chuck

Welcome, spartaHawk. I haven't heard of a way to use the protective case for the GoPro while flying, but that is not to say there isn't a way to do it. Do you want to do that just for added protection for the camera? If so, you are going to sacrifice quite a bit of video quality compared to using the gimbal.

3. spartaHawk

For sure. I suppose it would be in cases of flying over hard surfaces or water. So that if worst comes to worst, and the drone crashes, at the very least, the GoPro will likely survive.

Mostly I'm just interested in having the option.

Honestly, I think it's a little silly that with available wireless control, the GoPro can't do all connections wirelessly and be housed in its case by default. In all scenarios, not just drone photography.

Edit: I found a relevant discussion here: Gimbal for GoPro inside waterproof case?

#3 spartaHawk, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  4. spartaHawk

5. Maddog

You could mount it to the bottom of Solo using a bracket just like you were mounting it on a windshield, etc.

6. SARDG

The stock black plastic non-gimbal camera mount accepts the GP clear waterproof case with no mod at all - just invert your video and attach it. I use 2 GPs in the 3D waterproof mount this way.

Solos with pre-installed gimbals didn't get this mount; with all other Solos, that mount is attached out of the box.

spartaHawk likes this.
  7. spartaHawk

How is the shakiness/vibration in your experience? Most people say that without the gimbal the video quality suffers greatly.

8. SARDG

Without a gimbal like Solo's, yes, video goes downhill - and you have no control over tilt. Try a quick flight and see if it's acceptable for you and your use. Before the Solo gimbal was introduced, people had no choice but to "fix it in post" and shakiness can be greatly reduced by post-processing. Several packages exist, but a very popular package and the one I have is Mercalli V4. You can download a trial but the licensed version is $300. However, every now and again it's on sale for $99, and that's when I got it. There are also plug-ins for other editing software.

Stabilization examples and info is on their website, and additional post-production info can also be found on this forum with a search.
    proDAD Mercalli V4 SAL+ now with Rolling Shutter/CMOS correction!

9. Maddog

I use this, it's great and a lot cheaper. Haven't upgraded to V2 yet but it looks much better than V1.
    ProDrenalin™ V2+ for Windows | ProDRENALIN

10. Maddog

You're just bound & determined to get Solo in the water aren't you?! Lol!:D

11. SARDG

I work on it with each flight... :rolleyes:

If I only had a desert to fly in.... ;)