Upgrading GoPro - just need a shove...

Reaction score
I've been actively following this site for quite some time and have been amazed at the professional quality video produced. I am solidly in the hobbyist class, but am looking to step up my "game."

After much research, I believe a GP4 Black with a Peau 3.97 is the right choice for me. I'm currently running a GP3+ Black (with nary a problem), but I'm looking to get into the 4K realm.

Peau offers the complete package for $650, and from what I can tell ($400-$500 for the GP, $140 for the lens, $130 for the install, focus, & profile) this is a good price. With some digging, I might be able to save $10 or so, but that would mean having the hassle of sending it into Peau.

Question: what do you guys think of this deal?

Some considerations:

- Peau gives you the camera ONLY - no battery, no extras, etc. (although they offer the battery for $10).
- I have a box full of GP3 extras - will they all work on the 4?
- Warranty - I can't tell if the one you get from Peau will have a full factory GP warranty.
- Can a fat-fingered, clumsy guy install a Peau lens himself without screwing it up royally and save some of the $130? (Still have to send it in for the profile change)
- Any other things I need to consider?

if you are going to go with that lens, opt to let them install it, its only 100 bucks and you get the pink gone.
I was on the fence for a long time. Had a 4.4 lens that I installed myself, and it was pretty dang good.
but all the hype and footage on the 3.97 got to me, plus I got tired of waiting to solve for the lens profile
so far I am happy I moved

As for the package, it all depends on what you can get a hero black 4 for.
the 5 is getting close I know, but the 4 will be my dedicated camera for solo. with the new lens it gets the job done
warranty questions would need to be answered by Peau

You can get a gopro4 black on ebay camera only for close to $300. All accessories will work from your other camera.

Not new with a warranty, though. I called Peau - they warranty the camera for 1 year, since their modification of it voids the manufacturer's warranty.

If I were going to have to buy a camera too, it would be tempting to let them do it all
even at a bit higher price.

I have to say the experience was good, mine came back late but it was not Peaus fault.
it was USPS missed a delivery date, over a holiday weekend

Reactions: Burkeam
So what did it cost you guys all together to send em your h4 black, far as the lens, profile change and install?

Not trying to thread jack just curious?

GP3 accessories will work, but the batteries are different between GP3 and 4.

I'd suggest having Peau do everything. It took 4 days from the day I sent it in til I had it back in my hands. Technically 3 business days as I mailed it in the evening.

It's too bad you just missed their sale for lens/install/profile removal. I did as well (purchased at full price and a week later it was on sale). I'm very happy with it.

One caveat though - you will notice more vibrations in the video since these lenses are basically "zoomed" in with a narrower FOV. Vibrations that weren't showing up with the stock lens. So it's even more important to balance props/motors when using any of these aftermarket lenses with a narrower FOV than stock.

Reactions: Perry Lawrence
I just flew my 3.97 in 15mph + winds
with the new apc props.

Vibration were not bad at all

Peau is worth more than extra few bucks. They have excellent customer service like 3DR. I like to pay a little more for my purchases knowing someone has my back. just my opinion. I already purchased my GP4B and sent it to them for a new lens. My next one will be purchased from them directly.

Reactions: Acroduster

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela