Upgrades

The ground station, includes from left to right: receiver, video to USB device, battery for receiver, and 3dr radio. I used 3M dual lock (like velcro, but plastic) to mount the items. My ground station is just a very inexpensive windows laptop that's small enough to go into the toolbox (11.2").

I used the 3dr kit for the video transmitter and receiver: https://store.3drobotics.com/products/5-dot-8-ghz-light-weight-video-transmitter-kit

I bought the battery, the OSD board (overlays the data), and the camera elsewhere. The full 3dr kit is not unreasonable, it just comes with more than I needed. You only need the battery for the receiver (or another source of power), as the X8+ is prepared for the transmitter and OSD already.

Once you point mission planner to your capture device, the composite video shows in the MP screen with the flight data--so you only have one place to look other than the RC. Only problems I had initially were the drivers for the capture device, nothing to do with the OSD or transmitter.

The most challenging part of the entire affair has been (by far) tuning the gimbal so it does not vibrate when facing totally downward--that required a lot of tinkering--getting it to work straight ahead was a breeze, but the steep angle was a challenge to get right.

Attachments

• 20150824_121858_resized.jpg
    20150824_121858_resized.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 17
Couple more notes on FPV set up

--there are a lot of connections--so if something is not working, first thing to do is check that all is plugged in properly--the little stereo headphone plug on the receiver won't work if it's not in 100%. Every failure I've had with it is attributable to a loose wire.

--the OSD board gets hot, as does the transmitter. I typically unplug these if I'm working on something with the drone powered on for an extended period.

Hi Guys! Purchased a X8 from banggood yet some kind of perplexity out there. Don't have the foggiest idea about the operation SWA keys and SWB. I have not discovered this data on manual moreover. From where I got the position for stable flight GPS!!.

Congratulations on the X8, I really like mine it is can do a lot. GPS stable flight is when you put the mode switch in the LTR positions, top is STD standard, LTR Loiter, and Auto fly a mission. It is pretty stable in the STD mode but mine will drift a bit, very stable in the LTR mode.

I did my set up on Mission planner, would not fly out of the box, yours may already be setup and ready to fly.

I don't have all the terminology down so not sure what you are referring to as SWA and SWB

I just cut the wires and soldered, works fine. No back to programming the camera, got my tuffwing cable this week, already have CHDK on the camera. Hope to get all set up for a survey next week (too hot this week).

Am I correct in assuming that you dont next the aux 5v, the pixhawk is configured to trigger the camera directly. I have the 5v cable if needed but would rather skip the extra install if possible. I plan to add a second camera so may want to add the extra power anyway just to be sure there is enough to trigger both cameras.

They are up to May 20 in granting FAA 333 exemptions, I filed mine May 31, getting close, I am excited by not sure why.

Thanks Peter for the detail, going into the notebook

Hi, did you install two cameras on your X8+? please let me know how to do it. Thanks!

Hi, did you install two cameras on your X8+? please let me know how to do it. Thanks!
Not yet just one, I plan to mount another and split the trigger signal and see if there are any issues, or are you talking about if there is enough space for two cameras, seem to be plenty I am ordering another mount to see if I can run two cameras, not sure when.

I purchased the FPV that 3DR sells for the X8+, it does provide excellent video. Drawbacks are it is heavy and the range, even in rural area without any interference is limited to only approx 80 yards. So this does not help if you are running long range mapping missions. I did not like the flight time reduction, I figured if I am mapping I am looking directly towards the ground so it does not really provide any benefit. The increase in flight time is far more valuable to me. IMO 3DR's FPV is not really worth the money for the range it offers and the additional weight, even though the Pixhawk can power the unit without adding the provided battery.

I created a plastic bracket for a fixed downward pointing camera using acrylic. This bracket cantilevers off the rear of the drone. That camera is fixed, and has it's own battery. I start it on the ground.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc