[UPDATE] Solo Ultra Thin Micro HDMI Flat Ribbon Cable (Version 3) now available.

Hi GUYS, JView attachment 5110 JEE, SOMEBODY HELP NEEDED. I was not getting live feed from my camera to my tablet and everyone said it may be the HDMI cable. So I took out the gimbal and the PC board to make sure there was no corrosion. I found FOUR cables, the HDMI and the other small plug BUT I also found two ribbon cables. Unplugging these ribbon cable plugs was easy but in trying to put the gimbal together again the ribbon cable pins were so flimsy that one small mistake resulted in the pins breaking off. See attached picture
Please advise what do I do now and in watching you remove the gimbal and replaced the HDMI cable with the new flat cable version I did not see any ribbon cables only the data cable and the HDMI cable. Why the difference and what do these ribbon cables do??
Eddie
Looks like the locking bail on the connector was not flipped up to release the lock on the connector. That adhesive goop needed to be removed to gain access to the bail.

Someone with SMD rework experience could probably replace that connector if it can be identified. But a non-technical user wouldn't be able to do that and since gimbals seem to be going on sale on and off for about $40 at Best Buy, probably more practical to buy a new one.

Looks like the locking bail on the connector was not flipped up to release the lock on the connector...
Looks like that connector has nothing to do with HDMI as it's on the other side of the PC board AND close to the data connector - on the opposite diagonal of the HDMI connector. Looks like the gimbal was disassembled for no reason. Looks like the gimbal is toast as that connector isn't a "user" connector to have even worried about a lock.

I had to get out one of my new gimbals to see what was going on there.

Hi Guys, Thank you so much for coming back to me! It is really appreciated.
RichWest that is a very descriptive word " Foobar'd'...I love it and it says it all. I did stuff up.
Sardg I did have a look at Video #13. I am still puzzled that on my gimbal I have these two ribbon cables yet in the video there is no sign of them. So what are these cables for?? I took the PC Board out to check for corrosion as I live in a high humidity area near the sea. I will put it all together without the one ribbon cable and see if it will fly.
RickP The plug came off very easy and there is no "locking bail" That adhesive goop in on the flat cable I suppose there to fix the cable to the plug. The pins on the other hand were so mickey mouse that they just bent as soon as I wanted to replug snd then they just broke off. Both ribbons are marked "J1"
I will look into buying a new gimbal. Problem is shipping to South Africa is so bloody expensive. My question to all of you still is what the hell are these two ribbon cables for?? What do they do. Is this an early edition of the SOLO and subsequent editions do not have them. Please look at the pic attached Gimbal.jpg Again thanks for replies. Eddie

Hi Guys. Please ignore all references to the ribbon cables. I am stupid and the acronym "SNAFU" applies to me!!

Roland, I've just posted a tutorial video that shows you how it fits into the Solo. Check it out below.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Hi,
bought and installed ver2 cable and all went well following your instructions. One point to watch out for is when tipping the main board to get access to the hdmi cable the ribbon cable that goes to the solo extension bay socket is easily disturbed, think the soldering is fragile as after installation the set of polar pro lights i had plugged in no longer worked. If I had a brain I guess I could try and re-solder but its all a bit small and fiddly so its what it is! Dont want to go back and do it again as was pleased to follow the video and not break something really important. hope this is of some help

This company is HORRIBLE. What a joke, they are! I bought the flat HDMI cable on Sunday and as of Friday still has not shipped. I emailed the company, numerous times and left voice messages and STILL no return replies.

This company has the worst customer service I have ever seen.

DONT BUY THIS

This company is HORRIBLE. What a joke, they are! I bought the flat HDMI cable on Sunday and as of Friday still has not shipped. I emailed the company, numerous times and left voice messages and STILL no return replies.

This company has the worst customer service I have ever seen.

DONT BUY THIS
I ordered one this morning, hopefully they ship our cables out soon. Maybe he's out of stock or on backorder and that would explain the delay with your order. I'm really not in a hurry since I'm saving to purchase a Gopro Hero 4 Black.

Hi GUYS, JView attachment 5110 JEE, SOMEBODY HELP NEEDED. I was not getting live feed from my camera to my tablet and everyone said it may be the HDMI cable. So I took out the gimbal and the PC board to make sure there was no corrosion. I found FOUR cables, the HDMI and the other small plug BUT I also found two ribbon cables. Unplugging these ribbon cable plugs was easy but in trying to put the gimbal together again the ribbon cable pins were so flimsy that one small mistake resulted in the pins breaking off. See attached picture
Please advise what do I do now and in watching you remove the gimbal and replaced the HDMI cable with the new flat cable version I did not see any ribbon cables only the data cable and the HDMI cable. Why the difference and what do these ribbon cables do??
Eddie
That can be repaired by a technician however I'm not sure about the cost. BUT it can definitely be repaired.

The ribbon cable that I purchased had one end come off before I could get it installed. The manufacturer gave me a credit which I don't believe I'll ever use unless they come out with some quality products. I ask for a refund and never received a reply.

The ribbon cable that I purchased had one end come off before I could get it installed. The manufacturer gave me a credit which I don't believe I'll ever use unless they come out with some quality products. I ask for a refund and never received a reply.
So what hdmi cable are you using to reduce vibration?

I watched a few YouTube videos that showed me other ways of routing the OEM HDMI cable and dampening modifications.
You can refer to Keith Solo for more info.
Thanks for asking.

Well 3 days before i ordered it, Simon Tan said they were in stock. Only after paying did I not hear one thing from them, now 5 business days after ordering online (with site still showing "awaiting fulfillment" and ZERO responses to numerous emails (even directly to Simon) and emails thru company website and phone calls with 3 left messages.

This is just to get the product to me, i can only imagine how horrible the customer support is if there are any issues.

Well 3 days before i ordered it, Simon Tan said they were in stock. Only after paying did I not hear one thing from them, now 5 business days after ordering online (with site still showing "awaiting fulfillment" and ZERO responses to numerous emails (even directly to Simon) and emails thru company website and phone calls with 3 left messages.

This is just to get the product to me, i can only imagine how horrible the customer support is if there are any issues.

I did order one of the V1 ribbon cables in early 2016 and remember this same scenario. You probably won't hear back from seller and the cable will eventually show up in about 10-14 days if you are in USA

seems that i had luck with 3DRelish, the flat cable and the leg sliders were a great buy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela