Ublox GPS Mod problem

Reaction score
Reposted from another thread...

Alright, need a little help! I did the ublox gps mod per the utube video. Everything went great until I put it all back together and fired it up. Now I get an alarm (link to recording attached) after the intial bootup which just goes on forever. I tried hard resetting the solo - which reinstalled the latest firmware - to no avail. I checked continuity of the four connections and everything is fine.

Voice 001.m4a

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Here is response from pious_greek:

You messed up the cable or connector, you're shorting the ground plane are probably the two first things I'd check. Inspect your cable, ensure its connected well on both ends, try the gps without the ground shield, test your old gps to see if it's the cable.

Does the gps light up?

If you have more issues post under the Solo Help topic, not here. We can troubleshoot it there.

Destructive entry, how not to open a solo battery...
Reading Battery Data With an Arduino
#320pious_greek, Yesterday at 11:16 AM

I'll double check the wire continuity - connectors look fine. Removed shielding and no improvement. I can't easily reinstall the original gps as I had to cut the wires for the mod - I will try this though...

The new gps has a rapidly flashing blue led - maybe 2-3 flashed per second, consistent flashing.

I'll double check the wire continuity - connectors look fine. Removed shielding and no improvement. I can't easily reinstall the original gps as I had to cut the wires for the mod - I will try this though...

The new gps has a rapidly flashing blue led - maybe 2-3 flashed per second, consistent flashing.
That alarm is telling you that there is no GPS connected. You either have a bad GPS or more likely a cabling issue.

Alright, need a little help! I did the ublox gps mod per the utube video. Everything went great until I put it all back together and fired it up.

Any thoughts?
There is a bit of irony in that statement; to paraphrase... 'everything went fine until I actually went to use it'. o_O Could you have bricked it?

I did the install/wiring per the youtube video here. My cabling looks the same with soldered, heat-shrink connections. I made a new cable with the remaining, unused connectors to see if my connections were bad, but get the same "no gps" alarm.

I don't believe I've bricked the solo since I can still access via Solo and Tower app - also used this to try to reset to factory defaults (via SYSID_SW_MREV parameter). I'm guessing it is a bad gps unit (it is the quads.com MINI 8 version like in the video) although I noticed the compass on the back is the Cirocomm L0010 intestead of T0010 like in the video - but I thought the compass was unused anyway, so shouldn't matter? Unless someone has a better idea, I'll probably RMA the gps and try a new one. I'd rather not cut into my cable again and try the original gps unless I have to - wiring is getting too short. Are there cables you can buy that have the solo and ublox MINI 8 connectors on each end?

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to install the original gps and make sure everything is working fine, then initiate the RMA....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo