tower surveying, solo speed and picture rate

I have added the Mapir camera to the Tower app per the instructions on their website.. which brings me to another question. Do you think these settings are taking into account the cameras are mounted sideways as mentioned above or will modifying the rotation of the mount really work as mentioned above..?
Since the mapir can be mounted on any drone, particularly with their mounts I doubt they have taken into account it will be sideways on the 3DR Solo. I would try it with the tower settings swapped and try it. It cant hurt, it only takes a few minutes to swap it back if it doesnt work.

Reactions: Ørjan Sandland
i agree, chris, that simply changing the overlap settings will not do the trick, since MP still assumes the 4:3 orientation of the camera is with the wider dimension perpendicular to the direction the solo is flying. i have set up the MAPIR setting in MP so it's using those in its calculations. MP has a checkbox within the "survey (grid)" settings for "camera top facing forward". i assume that if this is not checked, it assumes the camera is in a 90-degree position. however, for the single MAPIR mount, it's a very simple mod to orient the camera top first, check that box and have all the settings be similar to if i was using the gopro within the gimbal.

also, since i have been using both cameras at once as backup for each other, having them oriented the same way should get better results for each. using the overlap settings for the MAPIR, the GP will have well more overlap than is required due to it's fisheye. sometime too much overlap is not necessarily good, but at least it can be used, whereas too little is unusable.

haven't actually flown this way yet, was hoping to this weekend, but alas my real job is getting in the way...

...and sorry, i just realized i hijacked my own post by referencing the use of MP instead of tower which was the original question. personally, i get an error every time i try to arm the solo with tower, so have been using MP on a laptop instead. but that's a different post....

I haven't used it but many on this forum have and I haven't read about any issues. I believe it will fix the issue you are having.
Tower Beta - Android Apps on Google Play

If you are using the most recent versions of the 3dr solo software and firmware, and decide you like the tower beta, you can uninstall the 3dr-services app as neither use it any longer, thankfully. Now tower can be developed independently of 3drs code and introduce new stuff. If you are going to keep using the current official release of Tower you need to keep it for now until Tower v4 is officially released.

thanks for the information, i'll give the beta a try. since i haven't been able to get tower to work so far, i still don't quite have an answer to the original question of this thread, but hopefully the beta will at least allow me to experiment. appreciate the insight.

love pdx, btw - would love to move there some day.

thanks for the information, i'll give the beta a try. since i haven't been able to get tower to work so far....
Please do post back your results after you test out the Tower beta. I'm interested.
Tower 3.2.1 Release Version always crashed on my Galaxy S5 so I always used Tower Beta 3.2.1. Have now moved to Tower Beta 4.0. Haven't flown it yet, but it doesn't crash just sitting there like the old Tower Final Release 3.2.1 did. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the Beta and it has been updated several times already.

ETA: BTW, Tower Beta 4.0 and Tower Final 3.2.1 and 3DR Services can coexist on a device so there is little downside of trying Tower Beta 4.

Last edited:
Please do post back your results after you test out the Tower beta. I'm interested.
Using the beta mine still crashes but now its tower that says its stopped. It does appear to be less frequent (about half as often compared to current release). This is from actual flights.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

...and sorry, i just realized i hijacked my own post by referencing the use of MP instead of tower which was the original question. personally, i get an error every time i try to arm the solo with tower, so have been using MP on a laptop instead. but that's a different post....
Yep i was keeping it to Tower as per your original post [emoji3]. MP has more options, i think the tick box in mp would resolve the issue.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Noob question: Are Tower and Mission Planner applications for Windows computers, or will either or both work on an Android tablet? I haven't been able to find Mission Planner in the Play Store, haven't tried looking for Tower yet.

---Noobie here BTW. ---
What would be ideal settings for GP4B using Tower?
What mode should GP4B set on (Video, Photo, Burst) for Tower?
Currently I am using the spline survey to generate survey then.....
Do I need to set a way-point, then turn in it into a camera trigger (beginning and end) in order for GP4B to trigger for photos.
Then upload the mission to SOLO.
Once survey is completed download the mission?
Where does one find the downloaded mission?
(Do I need to go into the device and look for a particular file & download for point cloud software (Autodesk ReCAP 360, Pix4D)?
Not understanding how to set speed (I am seeing 15 mph is an ideal speed...I get how to set the altitude).
What is an ideal altitude for surveying?

Am I understanding all of this correctly? Any help in this would be greatly appreciated....Thank you for all ya'lls help!!!!!!

Currently:
Solo w/Gimbal
Samsung TAB4
GoPro 4 Black
Tower-v4.0.0

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc