Tower questions

Tim,

I'm not entirely sure what the default is but for me it was "Rocket Speed"! Scared the crap out of me the first couple of flights. What I do know is that the performance settings in the Solo app have no impact on the speed of a Tower Mission. I have used multiple Change Speed Waypoints on missions. Another thing I noticed is that setting the change speed waypoint to the first waypoint does not appear to work. I usually put my bird in the air manually, above and forward of me, make the first waypoint at the default height just in front of my Home Point. The second waypoint is always my change speed waypoint (15 is tolerable for me on most flights).

Jerry

Right-- "Rocket Speed" here too! Didn't know whether to laugh or cry...
Good tip about using the 2nd waypoint to set speed-- makes sense actually.

If you set your first waypoint as a take off waypoint, you can tell it how high before proceeding to next waypoint, and I think you can choose the speed as well. So I don't know if it would go rocket speed from ground to straight up.

To slow down Solo in Tower missions I connected to Mission Planner and set Waypoint Speed to 400(bottom right window in extended parameters). I think you can do this direct through Tower now but I already did it in MP.

This gave Solo reasonable speed and removed a lot of the jerkiness. Make sure you write the parameter after changing or it will not take affect. Not sure if this voids your warranty.

Last edited:
My Solo has always had Rocket speed back to V1. Changing WP speed as shown in post 38 had no effect for me. At the time I did not see pids in Tower so MP was the only thing that worked for me; it would be nice to make the setting in Tower now. The default WP speed in the original cal was crazy high like 2,000 cm's.

My Solo has always had Rocket speed back to V1. Changing WP speed as shown in post 38 had no effect for me. At the time I did not see pids in Tower so MP was the only thing that worked for me; it would be nice to make the setting in Tower now. The default WP speed in the original cal was crazy high like 2,000 cm's.

Vegas,

The change speed waypoint never worked for me as the first waypoint in Tower. It does work for me as long as it's not the first waypoint. YMMV.

Jerry

Hi, Sorry to ask this here, didn't want to add another post. while on tower I can't move my hero 4 black, if I go back to the app I can move the camera from the controller, any guess why the remote won't work while in Tower?

thank You

Hi, Sorry to ask this here, didn't want to add another post. while on tower I can't move my hero 4 black, if I go back to the app I can move the camera from the controller, any guess why the remote won't work while in Tower?

thank You

LJL,

I haven't checked it after the latest updates but I have had this issue before as well. I'm not sure why. What you can do in Tower is move your finger on the camera preview screen and the camera will move with your finger.

Jerry

Vegas,

The change speed waypoint never worked for me as the first waypoint in Tower. It does work for me as long as it's not the first waypoint. YMMV.

Jerry
Right, I haven't used Tower with Solo since they added Solo support. Early on the integration was primitive at best. No live video feed and Solo acted erratically to many waypoint mission commands. I ended up using MP to smooth Solo out

I find V1.3 flies similar to the way I set up Solo early on with MP which I appreciate. I look forward to the new Tower with Solo support and live video feed. I have been concentrating on smart moves and the gimbal right now and when I'm confident with them I will go back to Tower and fly WP's. I really liked Tower with my APM quads but Solo never felt right on WP missions. I'm still having issues with follow me being laggy and jerky so at the request of customer service I purchased a new tablet.

Reactions: J R
I generally fly my Solo with an iOS device but I also have a Samsung Galaxy S5 that will also do the job. I have the Solo App and Tower (+ Services) on this device. In reading this particular thread it seems as though there is a lot to learn before embarking on a Tower mission. But, also in reading this thread there are a lot of "that's my understanding..." "I think you can..." "I'm not sure if..." so my question is:
  • Is there a definitive guide or manual for using Tower?
  • Will there be an iOS version of Tower in the future?
I have found various YouTube videos that cover certain aspects but not a start to finish.

Tim,

I'm not entirely sure what the default is but for me it was "Rocket Speed"! Scared the crap out of me the first couple of flights. What I do know is that the performance settings in the Solo app have no impact on the speed of a Tower Mission. I have used multiple Change Speed Waypoints on missions. Another thing I noticed is that setting the change speed waypoint to the first waypoint does not appear to work. I usually put my bird in the air manually, above and forward of me, make the first waypoint at the default height just in front of my Home Point. The second waypoint is always my change speed waypoint (15 is tolerable for me on most flights).

Jerry
Jerry, do the numbers correspond to MPH?

thank You J R. Yes, I noticed I could use my finger. Anybody else not able to use the remote to move the camera while in Tower? This is not normal, right?

thank You

LJL,

I haven't checked it after the latest updates but I have had this issue before as well. I'm not sure why. What you can do in Tower is move your finger on the camera preview screen and the camera will move with your finger.

Jerry

thank You J R. Yes, I noticed I could use my finger. Anybody else not able to use the remote to move the camera while in Tower? This is not normal, right?

thank You

I've been reading as much as I can about tower, and yes I believe this is normal. Have to use your finger on the tower app vide screen to move gimbal.

thank You, I thought I would be able to use the control to mobve the camera while on tower.

Regards,

I've been reading as much as I can about tower, and yes I believe this is normal. Have to use your finger on the tower app vide screen to move gimbal.

Tim,

I'm not sure what that's about either. I've flown a couple of dozen Tower missions to date. Two of them just at about 3 miles and I haven't had any issue with using the pause button. I'm not using it to brake. The bird is just hovering at the last waypoint. I push pause, start moving it and do a manual land or press fly again and fly some more. It certainly hasn't caused me any concern up to this point.

Jerry
Is there a way, after Pausing the mission to resume it in Tower?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc