Tower questions

Reaction score
Assume you uploaded a Tower mission to Solo and declined to have takeoff and landing waypoints automatically added. Then you take off using the FLY button after getting a GPS lock and switch to auto to initiate the Tower mission. What happens when Solo gets to that last waypoint? Shouldn't you be able to take command back using FLY?

Assume you uploaded a Tower mission to Solo and declined to have takeoff and landing waypoints automatically added. Then you take off using the FLY button after getting a GPS lock and switch to auto to initiate the Tower mission. What happens when Solo gets to that last waypoint? Shouldn't you be able to take command back using FLY?
I suppose you could, but...
...ain't Solo going to be a looong way outta range?

Tim,

The bird will hover at the last waypoint. You can take control back by pressing the pause or fly button.

Jerry

Tim,

The bird will hover at the last waypoint. You can take control back by pressing the pause or fly button.

Jerry

That's what I thought however after pressing Fly there was no response. I suppose I should have tried RTH but looking at the mode options I tried Stabilize. Not good...

Ok, you mean the last waypoint is where you are? I'm confused.
You could set it up that way. Program no takeoff point but have it set as the last waypoints, with the first waypoint presumably far away. Therefore you initiate the mission with the Solo ending up overhead?

I have not worked out a good way to take control back after putting the Solo in Auto Mode in Tower. I tried Pause, both in Tower and on the control, Solo stops but I have no control other than Pan. I am pretty sure I tried a single press of Fly with the same results. The only way I got control back was a long press of Fly to initiate a Land and then aborting it with the Pause button. Kinda scary over water though.

Planning to get out in the pasture this weekend and experimenting on a cleaner method.

I was going to go out this weekend with Tower for first try and had this exact question. Any good answers are appreciated. Though you would be back in free flight mode after completing last waypoint.

That's what I thought however after pressing Fly there was no response. I suppose I should have tried RTH but looking at the mode options I tried Stabilize. Not good...

Tim,

I've had that happen a few times as well, where the fly button didn't break the mission. I just hit the pause button and it worked fine. I always put my first and last waypoint fairly close to me and I always do manual takeoff's and landings (not to be confused with manual mode of flight), just used to doing it that way I guess.

I also programmed my B button for Manual flight mode. If you ever lose sat signal you're going to want manual mode. I haven't used any of the other flight modes. Just GPS and manual at this point.

Jerry

Reactions: Dustin
JR, are you hitting the Pause on the controller or in the Tower App? They should work the same but you never know.

couldn't you choose loiter from the same dropdown that you selected auto in to start the mission?

I push the fly button twice to regain manual flight. Mine sometimes starts the mission again whem I get to last waypoint. Unless I program land on last waypoint.

Ok, you mean the last waypoint is where you are? I'm confused.
You could set it up that way. Program no takeoff point but have it set as the last waypoints, with the first waypoint presumably far away. Therefore you initiate the mission with the Solo ending up overhead?

It was just a very simple mission as a test. To this point I had let Tower add the takeoff and landing waypoints automatically. For this brief fest the first of 4 waypoints was very close to where it took off. Three & four were just short flights of a couple hundred feet or so with the last 4th waypoint back near where it took off.

I have not worked out a good way to take control back after putting the Solo in Auto Mode in Tower. I tried Pause, both in Tower and on the control, Solo stops but I have no control other than Pan. I am pretty sure I tried a single press of Fly with the same results. The only way I got control back was a long press of Fly to initiate a Land and then aborting it with the Pause button. Kinda scary over water though.

Planning to get out in the pasture this weekend and experimenting on a cleaner method.

Well, at least it's good to know it's not just me. Apparently it's a sporadic problem that some experience and others don't. Interesting that on 3DR's Best Practices page they specifically state in their "Don't" section:

Don't Use the Pause button inside Tower to perform an emergency brake

Not sure what that's all about?

Yeah, initiating a Land with hopes of regaining control before Solo goes for a swim-- not something I'd feel comfortable doing at all. :eek:

I push the fly button twice to regain manual flight. Mine sometimes starts the mission again whem I get to last waypoint. Unless I program land on last waypoint.

I'm thinking that I might program the last waypoint to land, then try to press Fly to take control when it starts to land At least that way if it doesn't hand over control, hopefully it will just go ahead and land.

Well, at least it's good to know it's not just me. Apparently it's a sporadic problem that some experience and others don't. Interesting that on 3DR's Best Practices page they specifically state in their "Don't" section:

Don't Use the Pause button inside Tower to perform an emergency brake

Not sure what that's all about?

Yeah, initiating a Land with hopes of regaining control before Solo goes for a swim-- not something I'd feel comfortable doing at all. :eek:

Tim,

I'm not sure what that's about either. I've flown a couple of dozen Tower missions to date. Two of them just at about 3 miles and I haven't had any issue with using the pause button. I'm not using it to brake. The bird is just hovering at the last waypoint. I push pause, start moving it and do a manual land or press fly again and fly some more. It certainly hasn't caused me any concern up to this point.

Jerry

Reactions: Marich
I have assigned B button to manual and that is how I interrupt a mission if needed and it has never failed to work. I also always let Tower Append the mission with a take off and landing waypoint but don't use them. I always take off and land manually.

Reactions: J R
Is there a list of the possible modes with a definition of what they mean somewhere? I would have been afraid to put the bird in Manual mode thinking it may turn off the autopilot completely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc