Tower for solo - Smooth gimbal movment

Reaction score
Now we know that the stock Solo app is actually pretty darn good. It has everything you need and it is easy to use.

But I thought I would delve a little deeper and use the way points offered in Tower.

I noticed that the control is very nice, however you lose the function the solo app provides in regards to logarithmic curves when going from frame to frame.

When entering an Orbit I set the ROI to the same position as the orbit center (or as close as I can). On exiting an Orbit Tower/Solo removes the ROI at the center and reverts to "normal" pathing (resulting in an abrupt yaw rotation). To combat this I again set a ROI at the center of the previous Orbit and Spline Waypoint out.

Even with these steps and subsequent ROI, the gimbal movement is abrupt and not Michael Bay smooth.

Is there a setting for tower to adjust or is there a better method?

Reactions: algojo
Going in and out of an orbit is difficult to set, as it was designed to be "the shot". There doesn't seem to be any transitional controls like yaw rotation speed when exiting an Orbit. I believe other users place transitional ROI and speed changes to smooth the intended shot. At best, Tower and Mission planner have coarse control...when incorporating Orbits. Speed change is your friend.

Using splined waypoints, you can simulate an Orbit with an ROI that will provide closer to your needs. I use MPCC in the Solo app in the same fashion, then manual control the bird through the script for speed in and out of the "orbit". It may take 2 or more tries, but the end result is as intended.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc