Tower app

Reaction score
so after trying out for a while in figuring out how to run tower app on an android emulator things didn't quite work well. I ended up buying an LTE samsung galaxy note tab 4 and installed the tower beta and I have to say this app is amazing. Had it fly the waypoints while still having live view within the app. amazing

Reactions: JOHN CUERVO
If anyone has the time...I have tried getting the Tower app opened and working, can't seem to figure it out (and I'd have to use my phone as a hotspot for my Wi-Fi only Galaxy Tab A I just got...I could just use the phone, but I got the bigger screen for a reason.

Is there a step-by-step video anywhere online showing the screen, with voice instructions? All I seem to be finding are vids of people filming their machines in the air doing autonomous moves (or the FPV footage), which aren't really showing how to use the app at all. Thanks in advance!

@Hoover185
Tower Support on 3DR website is a good place to start:
http://3drobotics.com/kb/tower-support/

Also, look in the Iris+ support section on their website and on youtube. You might find good stuff there. For example, here are some good videos on 3DR youtube channel that are for the Iris: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLszd_sCs2VsKBJn4lwLxpK0NMhDVfZ-vB

Not all of those videos are related to Tower, but a few are and should be helpful. Just keep in mind that Tower used to be called "Droid Planner", so when you see references to that don't be thrown.

The "hardest" part is connecting to the Solo. On older 3DR drones (like the Iris), you connected using a MavLink antenna that plugged into your Android phone/tablet. That allowed your android to communicate directly with the drone.

For the Solo, you have to use wifi to connect. Basically, you join Sololink wifi network just as you would connect your Android device to any wifi network. Then, inside Tower > Settings you have to change the connection type to UDP.

If anyone has the time...I have tried getting the Tower app opened and working, can't seem to figure it out (and I'd have to use my phone as a hotspot for my Wi-Fi only Galaxy Tab A I just got...I could just use the phone, but I got the bigger screen for a reason.

Is there a step-by-step video anywhere online showing the screen, with voice instructions? All I seem to be finding are vids of people filming their machines in the air doing autonomous moves (or the FPV footage), which aren't really showing how to use the app at all. Thanks in advance!
I'm looking for the exact same thing for the exact same reasons.
1. Question One. Can you cache maps in the tower app? Or, do you need an LTE enabled android device inorder to use it?

I'm looking for the exact same thing for the exact same reasons.
1. Question One. Can you cache maps in the tower app? Or, do you need an LTE enabled android device inorder to use it?
Check out the links i provided above.

Yes you can cache maps. Instructions in the links above. EDIT: I took a quick look and I don't see the instructions for caching maps in Tower. At least not in an obvious place. Having said that, this looks promising: https://www.cloud-surfer.net/2014/09/30/offline-maps-with-droidplanner/

Last edited:
OK y'all. Here's my new SOLO mission on the beta to be flown tomorrow. Done all the Cable cam, selfie, stuff, that all works fine, really good in fact! Most folks would be happy with that. But here's where it really get's cool in my opinion. Keep in mind this is a test flight but I have the DBS Mod and the GPS mod (both are incredible). So here's tomorrow's flight plan:
OK,,here’s how it goes:

1: Auto take-off

2. WP1 40’ alt.

3. WP2 increase Alt 10’

4. WP3 POI Increase Alt 10’

5. WP4 POI Increase Alt 10’ (Should be at 70’)

6. WP 5 Structure Scan Radius 100’, circle 2 times, increase alt 20’ each circle (It’s a big pile of dirt) Should be at 110’

7. WP6 POI, decrease alt 10’

8. WP7 POI decrease alt 10’

9. WP8 Circle (radius 50’)

10. WP9 Hold for 10 seconds

Auto Land

I have set the Parameter default to totally autonomous. I expect to hit auto and sit down and watch. All WP’s are spline WP’s

Can't connect to tower... Error message "connection failed:bind failed: EADDRINUSE (address already in use)"

Any ideas?

Sorry for posting twice but there are kinda two feeds for the tower app right now.

reboot everything..close all apps and start from beginning,,everything

Thanks I did I full reboot and same issue. Tried a second time just for the sake of it and it finally connected. Strange... Thanks for the help everyone!

Thanks I did I full reboot and same issue. Tried a second time just for the sake of it and it finally connected. Strange... Thanks for the help everyone!
Sometimes you have to power cycle (reboot) Android devices to make sure everything gets shut down and cleared out of memory.

I power cycle every time I go out, and every time I have the slightest problem.

Mine does that occasionally particularly if I go into the Solo app then into Tower. A reboot fixes it for me

Mine does that occasionally particularly if I go into the Solo app then into Tower. A reboot fixes it for me

I typically open and connect Tower first (on Samsung Note 4) -- when I open and Connect Solo App first, Tower doesn't like to connect.

@Hoover185

Also, look in the Iris+ support section on their website and on youtube. You might find good stuff there. For example, here are some good videos on 3DR youtube channel that are for the Iris: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLszd_sCs2VsKBJn4lwLxpK0NMhDVfZ-vB

Not all of those videos are related to Tower, but a few are and should be helpful. Just keep in mind that Tower used to be called "Droid Planner", so when you see references to that don't be thrown.

The "hardest" part is connecting to the Solo. On older 3DR drones (like the Iris), you connected using a MavLink antenna that plugged into your Android phone/tablet. That allowed your android to communicate directly with the drone.

For the Solo, you have to use wifi to connect. Basically, you join Sololink wifi network just as you would connect your Android device to any wifi network. Then, inside Tower > Settings you have to change the connection type to UDP.
Thanks for the info. Question, How do you delete a mission file in tower for android? Once I export a mission file, I can't delete it. I can clear waypoints but that's it.

New Thanks for the info. Question, How do you delete a mission file in tower for android? Once I export a mission file, I can't delete it. I can clear waypoints but that's it.
Well clearing all waypoints is deleting the mission.

If you want you mean is that you want to delete the mission off of the Solo, then you have two options:

1. Clear all waypoints in Tower and then upload what is now a blank mission to the Solo.

2. Switch to Acro mode and fly your Solo at full speed into a brick wall.

Reactions: Jubalr
@Hoover185

Thanks so much Erik, that helped. A few more questions for anyone if they know:

1) How do you initiate your mission using the Solo controller (all the vids I saw was Colin using the Iris and a standard controller). I assume holding FLY button down once for start and again for take-off?
2) Can/should you have the Solo app open while flying auto for the live view?
3) How do you interrupt mission and take over control if something goes wrong?
4) I am having trouble caching maps in the Solo app (can't zoom in, just get black squares). Is there a way to do it in Tower? (does it cache whatever you look at automatically?)

Thanks again, I truly appreciate it everyone. This group is saving my hairline big time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbeatle