Total Disappointment in 3DR - I do not see the product as promised?

I needed to order everything, Solo, hero4 blk. From B&H. It was early July, they sent free battery & free accessories for GoPro with Solo 4 days later. But estimated gimbal to be delivered between 17th "today" & the end of this month. So no surprises here. B&H was right on. So far?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have to say I like the air frame of the unit, even when it took a mind of its own and crashed into a wall, held up pretty good.

But it destroyed the propellers and I can not get new ones. I ordered them waited a few days for shipping and NADA the big zero, I called and they told me the packing label had been printed and they would go out the next day. All good right? Well no shipping notice, so I called again and was told they have to be shipped from China. NO ETA was given on the propellers. This is not the Nordstrom customer service that the spokesman told me they would be giving in numerous pre launch videos. As for the ticket I filed, for all intensive purposes it did nothing. They say they think it was a GPS glich, did I get new propellers sent to me from the fly away glitch? No! And to top it off the ones I ordered as back ups are still in China.

A comment about the Gimbal! What a crock. How did they film the release / promotional videos if they did not have the gimbal. Clearly they advertised it ready to go and still no Gimbal. They even talked about it in trade show videos and still we have no gimbals. Unfair trade practice. They took me out of the market from the competition selling me a product that really did not exist. Think of this, they claim to be targeting a sale of 1 million units and they did not have the gimbal all done? Planning overlap? Or a total misdirect in their promotion? They announce dates and pass by them as if it does not matter. I never expected to wait months to have a complete unit.

Yes, 3DR hyped the business shows on network TV, and said they expected to sell one million units in a year. And they did not even plan on spare parts like propellers? This is not as I expected it to be. They had best get their program together and fast. Where would I start if I was running the show? Supply line and Marketing Managers would be sitting in my office. They have put the ethics of the firm in very bad light. Someone had to have calculated the negative potential of making claims they knew they could not keep. Something as basic as propellers not being available. Really? Does this exceed the poor planning, will it effect sales? Well I would not buy any stock in this company.

Dude! Spare parts are every where. Good Grief!!!

All I can say is all of the issues the solo has/had we are probably about to go.through again with the gimble. Maybe around December solo will be a viable product. As for right now we are just paying beta testers.

All I can say is all of the issues the solo has/had we are probably about to go.through again with the gimble. Maybe around December solo will be a viable product. As for right now we are just paying beta testers.
how about dji mass production but massive fly aways issue?

Reactions: Raybro
I have a P3P and have not had any issues. Ive went through 2 solos and lots of parts in a matter of 2 months due to manufactur issues.

I have a P3P and have not had any issues. Ive went through 2 solos and lots of parts in a matter of 2 months due to manufactur issues.
I really doubt that. There's really no need to worry about parts with DJI. When you have a flyaway, why need parts?

Reactions: Ian [P13]
For anyone to order a quadcopter and not order spare props is foolish. Even my flamewheel, on which I have CF props which in 8 months never needed replacing has 2 complete sets of plastic and 2 complete sets of CF props on hand. When I ordered the solo, I ordered 4 extra packages of props knowing they were plastic and no CF versions were available yet.

I am still on my first set of props with the Solo but inspect them every time and take care of them. I haven't had a crash since I left Blade/horizon hobby products a year ago. The solo is the best and strongest platform I have flown. If I have to wait a little for a gimbal of equal quality, so be it. I read up. I studied all available products (actually almost ordered a P3pro but it has even more problems and fewer features and a weaker airframe). Am I disappointed in the delay? Yes. Did I like how they handled the release? Absolutely not! Do I believe I purchased the best product for the money? Absofreakinglutely!!!!!! But I stand by MY choice because all the information was available to anyone that actually did some research.

Reactions: Raybro and DodgeP
There are spare parts, I'm in the UK and we're behind on deliveries, I've got enough spare props to fly a fleet of Solos and even a shell on the way. It's common sense to think ahead with spares and order them before they're needed. I'll even be ordering motor pods as there's no point having a copter with quick change motor pods and then not having at least 2 spares on you.

Reactions: Raybro and DodgeP
Missed this until the last person posted again but, for everyone with a thumb up their tooter about not having this or not having that, or GPS issues or crashes or no gimbal or the shell isn't the right shade of black and the green is off a bit, here's where YOU became the ass; once 3DR missed the deadline, you could have packed stuff up and sent it back. 3DR missed a deadline way within the first 30 days that Solo released. You crashed your stuff?? You could have packed it up and sent it back, first crash. GPS Issues, customer support inconsistencies, Colins promised you Roses but instead you got Dandelions - pack your stuff and send it back.

You want to do business with a company that will get you your money back almost immediately when you have a problem with a vendor, use an American Express.

Colin is not to blame, 3DR is not to blame -------------- listen to me now -------------- they are not to blame for your impatience. If you ordered in April, May, even in June - you knew damn well you weren't getting a gimbal. In essence what you did was, you jumped on the bandwagon a bit too early, now you mad - yup, you mad. Exercise some patience; Yoga and Meditation help with that.

I wish all the naysayers and disgruntled consumers would leave this site. You serve no purpose here. Come back when you've sorted out all your Solo issues.

Reactions: Raybro
honestly, no one throws in the fact that you need a smartphone or tablet to view either the phantom or solo. how about THOSE people? at least the solo has HDMI out.

and the gopro requirement is a minimum Hero3+. those aren't $400 nowadays; i picked up a 3+ silver for $215 via LL Bean via their sale + discounted gift card purchase. that alone lets you use the camera outside of a quadcopter.

i did not pre-order. the SOlo came out of necessity of something with flight time greater than 5 minutes w/ payload and 5.8gHz FPV system (i was flying the phantom 1, black fri 2013 for $400 after taxes). Solo gives me smooth video w/o gimbal, no need for additional FPV, and 20min flight time. and frame is not stereotypical drone either.

propellers def are a bitch since they break easy. i've been thinking about new 3D printed legs with prop guards built in, all secured in the center and bottom. phantom blades rarely broke, but solo ones are like eggshells.

Still using the same props it came with. I do have a spare. I think they are tougher than the Phantom props. On my 3rd set with that beast and I've only had it about 4 months more than the Solo.

Still using the same props it came with. I do have a spare. I think they are tougher than the Phantom props. On my 3rd set with that beast and I've only had it about 4 months more than the Solo.
yeah not sure. i bought 3 pairs for spares and prob broke 4-5 already since unboxing. even a slight uneven landing on grass and they snap....

yeah not sure. i bought 3 pairs for spares and prob broke 4-5 already since unboxing. even a slight uneven landing on grass and they snap....
I got a little close to some tree limbs and Solo tried to do some trimming. Managed to fly it back out as it was about to get all tangled up. I thought for sure I would of had some busted props. Just some scuff marks, no chips. My Phantom blades would start developing chips on the leading edge..... especially after a few tipped landings. Nearly unavoidable with that beast.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000