Too darn cold, can't wait to get out with my new Solo

Reaction score
Website
www.macswebs.com
Best Buy broke down my resolve to not invest in a new toy by selling Solos for $299 with an extra battery, gimbal and spare props. Weather is horrible so I haven't even been able to do a maiden voyage. I have downloaded all the Android phone apps, did all the system updates, installed the gimbal, charged it up and made sure everything can talk together. I'm getting a video feed no problem and the gimbal will tilt on command but the preset tilts don't seem to want to work very often. Occasionally the gimbal will respond, but most of the time not. Might have to return the gimbal for another.

I tried out the Solo Simulator which was fun for about 5 minutes but at least allows me to begin to become familiar with the controls. My cousin has been flying drones for about 2 years so I hope he'll have some time to help me out and get me off to a good start when the weather gets better. I've done other types of radio control over the years, but this is my first drone. Never thought I'd want one until I saw my cousin flying his Phantom 2!

Welcome aboard, richnat. Until the weather clears enough for you to fly, you ought to download the owners manual and study it. It is a wealth of information on Solo, and will help you immensely. Also use the search function on this forum to find answers to your questions from past posts. You can also use the fine folks on here to help you with any questions or problems. Good luck, and fly safe.

Carefull with the batteries. A friend of mine had a lot of troubles because of the weather even in California (supposed to be warm here, right?)

Welcome aboard, richnat. Until the weather clears enough for you to fly, you ought to download the owners manual and study it. It is a wealth of information on Solo, and will help you immensely. Also use the search function on this forum to find answers to your questions from past posts. You can also use the fine folks on here to help you with any questions or problems. Good luck, and fly safe.

I've already downloaded, printed and bound the manual. Been reading it when time permits. I tried contacting 3DR via chat about my gimbal issues but of course haven't received a response.

I've noticed that when the preset buttons for the gimbal don't work that my Solo is searching for GPS (I'm toying with it indoors). Could the issue be that it is so busy trying to get a GPS signal that it isn't concerned with anything else? I read some other posts that sometimes the buttons are just finicky. I have to run into town Saturday, so if I can't get the gimbal to work well by then I'll try exchanging it.

Baby steps, baby steps. Still too cold to fly but this afternoon is supposed to crack into the 30s. Maybe......

I've worked through all the gimbal issues. I've done the level calibration. I tried to do the compass calibration in my backyard the other day but I guess there was too much clutter so I did it just now in the empty field outside my office building, worked great this time. I was bored the other day so I did the cardboard mod and I guess it worked because I got a GPS lock in less than a minute. I was so tempted to at least take of and land for the first time but it was 20 degrees out and I was within a mile and half of a large airport/air guard base. Camera link worked fine.

Anyway, all set to go to the prom but the limo hasn't arrived yet! Maybe I can get in a short first flight after work assuming I have some daylight left by the time I get home. Darn this having a job thing!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela