TIPS on SLOWING PAN and HIGHEST VIDEO QUALITY POSSIBLE?

Reaction score
I absolutely love my gimbal. I do notice that in my videos, the pan seems to be a little jerky. I know there is a way to slow it down either by controlling or some adjustment. Any suggestions?
Additionally, does anyone know what the best quality video that we can record with on the Hero 4? 4K didnt seem compatible.

I absolutely love my gimbal. I do notice that in my videos, the pan seems to be a little jerky. I know there is a way to slow it down either by controlling or some adjustment. Any suggestions?
Additionally, does anyone know what the best quality video that we can record with on the Hero 4? 4K didnt seem compatible.
" 4K didnt seem compatible."
Not compatible with what?
I shot 4k yesterday, Looking at it now, it looks good.

personally I dont need 4k so I just stick to 2.7k. It still looks very good

Just trying options on camera, but i like 4k, lots of room to work with.Love that i can do a "virtual" zoom lens. You can do a zoom from 4k to 15% without any lost of quality!. really looks like i got a zoom on my gopro
But i do most of my shooting as you, 2.7/60

Just trying options on camera, but i like 4k, lots of room to work with.Love that i can do a "virtual" zoom lens. You can do a zoom from 4k to 15% without any lost of quality!. really looks like i got a zoom on my gopro
But i do most of my shooting as you, 2.7/60
Have you actually tried this setting on the 3DR SOLO Gimbal? When I tried it, the app wouldn't work. I got an error message about an update. I just did an update on the gopro so I dont know why it asked for another update.

Hmm. It asked for an update with the 4K. It worked with the lower setting but when set to 4K, it asked for an update.
That could be, going to 4k triggered a update? but you had to update when you installed your Gimbal righ?
Solo only sends back video to monitor @720 so it don't matter which mode your shooting with 4k, 2.7k ect.....

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
I get occasional messages about updating, etc. generally I can just wait it out. Make sure your go pro is firmly seated into the gimbal.

Best possible qualit.
Wide FOV (no other choice)
30 fps (24 even better image quality, but to "skippy")
Appropriate ND filter to slow the shutter down.

Gentle flying. Set solo performance to the slowest setting. This will slow down pans.

If you are seeing you video skip when panning, then you need to slow down your panning, OR, use a higher frame rate. Or do both. It's an effect called judder that has nothing to do with the gimbal. It happens on all cameras.

I've been testing GoPro with the gimbal since Friday. When I get back from the holiday I'm going to post a sticky thread on GoPro settings for folks like yourself.

To skip to the what i think the best options will be... 2.7K Medium 60fps for most shots, particularly those with intermediate to fast motion (either fast camera pans or a subject with fast action). For max quality for slow easy gentle flying, 4K Wide 30fps (no you don't see landing gear).

Also, for quality you must use an ND filter, and turn Protune on (but that means you must also color correct in post). ISO limit 400.

I'll post more in a few days.

You can control the speed of the gimbal in the Solo app
I get occasional messages about updating, etc. generally I can just wait it out. Make sure your go pro is firmly seated into the gimbal.

Best possible qualit.
Wide FOV (no other choice)
30 fps (24 even better image quality, but to "skippy")
Appropriate ND filter to slow the shutter down.

Gentle flying. Set solo performance to the slowest setting. This will slow down pans.

If you are seeing you video skip when panning, then you need to slow down your panning, OR, use a higher frame rate. Or do both. It's an effect called judder that has nothing to do with the gimbal. It happens on all cameras.

I've been testing GoPro with the gimbal since Friday. When I get back from the holiday I'm going to post a sticky thread on GoPro settings for folks like yourself.

To skip to the what i think the best options will be... 2.7K Medium 60fps for most shots, particularly those with intermediate to fast motion (either fast camera pans or a subject with fast action). For max quality for slow easy gentle flying, 4K Wide 30fps (no you don't see landing gear).

Also, for quality you must use an ND filter, and turn Protune on (but that means you must also color correct in post). ISO limit 400.

I'll post more in a few days.
Exactly....

I might change ISO depending, and could add a polarizer depending, but other than that I agree 1000% (yes 3 zeros).

I would add that in addition to actual judder, a judder "looking" effect can also show up if your PC can't handle the video, either watching it, or rendering it. It is VERY common with 4K, as it takes considerable horsepower, both in processor and video card.

Last edited:
Reactions: erikgraham

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks