Thinking of the solo but have concerns

Reaction score
So I was looking at getting a solo but after talking with their customer service even if the solo drops from the sky due to drone error they stated they will not cover the gopro. Trying to decide if I really want to risk my gopro or do I just say who cares and go for it hoping nothing happens?

So I was looking at getting a solo but after talking with their customer service even if the solo drops from the sky due to drone error they stated they will not cover the gopro. Trying to decide if I really want to risk my gopro or do I just say who cares and go for it hoping nothing happens?
Look at it this way, you can spend $1000 on a DJI Mavic or you can spend $300 on a 3dr Solo... which means you'd have money to buy an extra GoPro 4 black if you wanted, money to buy spare props, upgrade the gps, put some lights on it, get spare batteries, buy a $75 "best buy return" on ebay which you could then use for parts and still come in under the $1000 mark. So honestly, which do you think is better value? Also depends on what you're planning to do with it. If you're planning on going hiking, off the beaten path for a few days, you may want something smaller, the solo is very big compared to the Mavic. Really depends on your budget and what you're planning to do. I own two solo's and have a 3rd on the way.

Reactions: Firefly
Yeah.. was kinda thinking that but was wondering as time goes if I will be able to source a gopro4 easily.. But I guess if I get a year flying out of it got my money's worth.

Yeah.. was kinda thinking that but was wondering as time goes if I will be able to source a gopro4 easily.. But I guess if I get a year flying out of it got my money's worth.
Look at it this way, some other drones come with a build in 4K camera. However you can't use them for anything other than flying said drone. At least with the GP4 you can detach it from the solo, use it on you car, your vacation, diving, doing time lapse shots. I mean, you can pretty much do a whole production with a Solo and a GP4. If you're careful, do your research, that lowers the chance of a mishap. Also, I'd rather tinker around with something I paid $300 for and not something I paid $1000 for.... Just do your research before you buy and feel free to ask questions, I'm sure everyone here will be happy to help.

Last edited:
Well got my gopro from them refub so that was only 200 then got a bestbuy refurb drone fro 189. Just checked with 3dr and their warranty covers the refurbs as well. Just need to get gimbal and spare battery.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Got my Hero 4 black from ebay used once and came with touch screen bac pac, battery bac pac and various housings and mounts. All for less than the cost of a refurb from gopro :)

I have many hours of flights on my 5 Solos, and never damaged my GoPro. I've broken a few props, but that was pilot error.
Get a Solo and enjoy it. It is even fun with no camera installed!

Reactions: Solo Keith
Well it arrived earlier and confirmed with 3dr they still warrenty best buy refurbs so plan to take it out tonight or this weekend at the latest.. Even got the phone number for local tower at airport (within 5 mi). Just need to run through updates and pairing. If all goes well then will order the gimbal.

Well it arrived earlier and confirmed with 3dr they still warrenty best buy refurbs so plan to take it out tonight or this weekend at the latest.. Even got the phone number for local tower at airport (within 5 mi). Just need to run through updates and pairing. If all goes well then will order the gimbal.
You do know that you can put an action camera on it and have FPV too, just make sure camera has a mini HDMI plug in on it, no camera control but hey, start camera and go flying! works with Solo app and Solex.

I have crashed the hell out of mine, bent a couple gimbals, broke a battery tray
the gopro has never been harmed

Well got my gopro from them refub so that was only 200 then got a bestbuy refurb drone fro 189. Just checked with 3dr and their warranty covers the refurbs as well. Just need to get gimbal and spare battery.

I have a few brand new batteries and brand new gimbal --- unopened. Contact me if serious about them. [email protected]

THE 3dr is crazy cool to fly. I have Mavic , Karma and several Solo's. the 3dr is the funniest to fly.

All the positive words, and my flight/filming experience to date, just further confirm what my research that brought me to 3DR and the Solo said.... A drone copter that was affordable, easy to fly, and capable, for beginner and intermediate pilots... My 4Blk and the Solo were a great purchase. AND... I get to learn this hobby! BONUS!

Reactions: IrishmanPDX

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela