The path to Manual & Stabilize

Reaction score
My path has been a bit bumpy. In the beginning GPS worked great and looked like this would be fantastic fun while awaiting the Gimbal.

Drawing from the experience of those on this forum and studying the Manual I discovered that loss of the GPS will switch the Solo to manual mode. Knowing it would not be long before I experienced this problem, my plan was to fly in manual (ounce of prevention). The result was not a cure. Two incidents were the result. In reflection I believe they were pilot error.

Finally my question, Is the best approach to get GPS Lock then switch to Manual or Stabilize?

Tech support told me that "pause" is my best friend that acts like an air brake that will stop progress and hover allowing time to regroup. The Manual tells me that RTH, Home, and pause will not work without GPS. Additionally if I advance the right joy stick and fly away, will letting it go, stop forward motion or do I need to pull back through neutral

I would like to clarify the process before trying this again.
P.S. I understand drift, but is momentum a big issue
Regards, Phil

My path has been a bit bumpy. In the beginning GPS worked great and looked like this would be fantastic fun while awaiting the Gimbal.

Drawing from the experience of those on this forum and studying the Manual I discovered that loss of the GPS will switch the Solo to manual mode. Knowing it would not be long before I experienced this problem, my plan was to fly in manual (ounce of prevention). The result was not a cure. Two incidents were the result. In reflection I believe they were pilot error.

Finally my question, Is the best approach to get GPS Lock then switch to Manual or Stabilize?

Tech support told me that "pause" is my best friend that acts like an air brake that will stop progress and hover allowing time to regroup. The Manual tells me that RTH, Home, and pause will not work without GPS. Additionally if I advance the right joy stick and fly away, will letting it go, stop forward motion or do I need to pull back through neutral

I would like to clarify the process before trying this again.
P.S. I understand drift, but is momentum a big issue
Regards, Phil
Pause is only your best friend if you have a GPS lock at the time you hit it. It's like hitting the brakes and it keeps it where it is. Where you don't want to use it is if you are flying around close and near structures in Fly mode and have a GPS glitch. Hitting Pause then will not help and hitting Manual will.
To answer your questions though, Yes when still learning wait for GPS lock, hit Fly to take off then switch to manual. And practice in an area with lots of room to learn.

Reactions: rrmccabe
Pause is only your best friend if you have a GPS lock at the time you hit it. It's like hitting the brakes and it keeps it where it is. Where you don't want to use it is if you are flying around close and near structures in Fly mode and have a GPS glitch. Hitting Pause then will not help and hitting Manual will.
To answer your questions though, Yes when still learning wait for GPS lock, hit Fly to take off then switch to manual. And practice in an area with lots of room to learn.
I personally have changed my "A" button to manual, to make it quick. I would also add that "UP" is your real best friend. After all it isn't the fall that hurts, it is running in to things that makes your craft come apart. And there are usually a lot less things to run in to UP. It is also a better place for GPS, compass, etc. and gives you time to create a plan.

I personally have changed my "A" button to manual, to make it quick. I would also add that "UP" is your real best friend. After all it isn't the fall that hurts, it is running in to things that makes your craft come apart. And there are usually a lot less things to run in to UP. It is also a better place for GPS, compass, etc. and gives you time to create a plan.

Thanks for reminding me. My uncle taught me to fly and constantly repeated two axioms; altitude is your friend and the airplane wants to fly. He never owned a Drone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150