Testing the limits of the Solo Battery for flight time

Reaction score
Today
I received my solo from UPS so on my lunch break I started charging, once charged I updated the system. When I got off work I took it outside to the open field out back and powered it up and I was getting 12 sats,,, That was good and it gave me the OK to fly. At that moment I stopped and re-calibrated level and also re-calibrated the compass just because,,,
I set it to manual mode and took it for a spin, I have built and flown my share of quads and Hex's and all I can say is,, WOW. I run Pixhawk in most all of my multi-rotors and love them but I have to say PIX II ,,, Having a 10 to 15 MPH NW wind today even in manual mode it was very very stable. To say the least I am impressed. I hope the Pix II will be available soon for my next build.

So anytime I build a copter I want to know the flight Time limits and battery capabilities so I know what to expect if I can't make it back to Home. As you are about to read this (DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME) So I was just playing and flying low and fast and depleted the battery to around 10% at this point "Solo app" told me it was unsafe to fly. OK SO HOW UNSAFE?? and yes I want to know. With other copters I have found with PIXhawk1 it will stop flying well before 3.3 volts per cell is reached ( 4S ). I have a eagle tree Vector on a 650 and it gets the wobbles at 14 volts (4S) and it simply plays dead. I have never had a chipped prop because all battery test flights are hover flights in manual mode and just inches off the ground and over tall grass and in an open field.

I have found that the Solo is not happy when its below 3%. I figured the Solo would get the wobbles and want to lay on its side or just drop or something simple, I will tell you now, If your not on the ground by 5% to 8% and get below 3% and you only see one indicator light on your battery ((( RUN))) , I am Laughing MY A** off right now thinking about it and only wish I was filming this. Once the power was around 3% that little Bi*CH got mad and started to climb and I tried everything to get it to come back down it would not respond to the controls at all.
So it got to about 20/25 Ft and then it dropped sideways to about 10 feet as it tried to catch itself and that's when it wanted to chase me,, "Not really" but it was trying to right itself and it hit the ground. Once it hit the ground you would think it would shut down but NO,, it wanted to take off again so I quickly grabbed the battery and held it in place to keep it on the ground until it got over its fit and again there was NO ONE HOME.. I pulled the battery ASAP once the blades stopped as there was no telling what else it might have done.

So If anyone was thinking of testing the limits of your Solo battery I would to stay at 10% and if you do push it by the time you hit 8% you better be on the ground no matter how far away it is from you. The Solo was undamaged and without a scratch so I brought her back to the shop and recharged the battery and took her for another flight just to tell her I was sorry and she rewarded me with a very fast 15 Min flight about a foot over the grass out in the field and I can tell you in advanced manual mode she can move very fast and stable. shes not a race quad but my race quad doesn't carry a GoPro and a gimbal.

So now that I know, evidently the Linux didn't like low voltage and stops communicating completely. I have seen a few vid's where the Solo has a flyway and I do feel that even if your Solo tells you to fly after you upgrade I would suggest re-calibrating the compass before your first flight along with leveling.
Along with that I have seen that when the Solo hits the ground the blades keep spinning.

Isn't there a impact motor kill command in the Solo? I know with the Eagletree Vector once it senses an impact it kills the ESC"s and the only way to get the system running again is to unplug and re-power the FC.

Reactions: bjswx and Raybro
Great write up Rodney! And the visuals in your writing was funny as H*ll!. I believe the motor shutoff is AB&Pause. I think they should add the Pixhawk method for on/off of left stick to lower right. I wonder if that could be programmed in Tower?

Today
I received my solo from UPS so on my lunch break I started charging, once charged I updated the system. When I got off work I took it outside to the open field out back and powered it up and I was getting 12 sats,,, That was good and it gave me the OK to fly. At that moment I stopped and re-calibrated level and also re-calibrated the compass just because,,,
I set it to manual mode and took it for a spin, I have built and flown my share of quads and Hex's and all I can say is,, WOW. I run Pixhawk in most all of my multi-rotors and love them but I have to say PIX II ,,, Having a 10 to 15 MPH NW wind today even in manual mode it was very very stable. To say the least I am impressed. I hope the Pix II will be available soon for my next build.

So anytime I build a copter I want to know the flight Time limits and battery capabilities so I know what to expect if I can't make it back to Home. As you are about to read this (DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME) So I was just playing and flying low and fast and depleted the battery to around 10% at this point "Solo app" told me it was unsafe to fly. OK SO HOW UNSAFE?? and yes I want to know. With other copters I have found with PIXhawk1 it will stop flying well before 3.3 volts per cell is reached ( 4S ). I have a eagle tree Vector on a 650 and it gets the wobbles at 14 volts (4S) and it simply plays dead. I have never had a chipped prop because all battery test flights are hover flights in manual mode and just inches off the ground and over tall grass and in an open field.

I have found that the Solo is not happy when its below 3%. I figured the Solo would get the wobbles and want to lay on its side or just drop or something simple, I will tell you now, If your not on the ground by 5% to 8% and get below 3% and you only see one indicator light on your battery ((( RUN))) , I am Laughing MY A** off right now thinking about it and only wish I was filming this. Once the power was around 3% that little Bi*CH got mad and started to climb and I tried everything to get it to come back down it would not respond to the controls at all.
So it got to about 20/25 Ft and then it dropped sideways to about 10 feet as it tried to catch itself and that's when it wanted to chase me,, "Not really" but it was trying to right itself and it hit the ground. Once it hit the ground you would think it would shut down but NO,, it wanted to take off again so I quickly grabbed the battery and held it in place to keep it on the ground until it got over its fit and again there was NO ONE HOME.. I pulled the battery ASAP once the blades stopped as there was no telling what else it might have done.

So If anyone was thinking of testing the limits of your Solo battery I would to stay at 10% and if you do push it by the time you hit 8% you better be on the ground no matter how far away it is from you. The Solo was undamaged and without a scratch so I brought her back to the shop and recharged the battery and took her for another flight just to tell her I was sorry and she rewarded me with a very fast 15 Min flight about a foot over the grass out in the field and I can tell you in advanced manual mode she can move very fast and stable. shes not a race quad but my race quad doesn't carry a GoPro and a gimbal.

So now that I know, evidently the Linux didn't like low voltage and stops communicating completely. I have seen a few vid's where the Solo has a flyway and I do feel that even if your Solo tells you to fly after you upgrade I would suggest re-calibrating the compass before your first flight along with leveling.
Along with that I have seen that when the Solo hits the ground the blades keep spinning.

Isn't there a impact motor kill command in the Solo? I know with the Eagletree Vector once it senses an impact it kills the ESC"s and the only way to get the system running again is to unplug and re-power the FC.
Good review. Thanks for the info.

I think there should be a high G ESC shutoff implemented into an update at some point so the Solo doesn't beat itself to death. With my experience last night in extreme conditions or even a impact on a fly away or aggressive flying and you hit the ground the PixHawk and or Linux can react faster then the pilot in every case to power down the ESC'S.

I really wish I had filmed it, I would have won an award, Duck and Cover isn't just for bad weather anymore.

Reactions: Raybro
Take a look at this video, if you look at the low battery warning light flashing this is showing it was time to land. The pilot didn't land and the Solo wanted to take off uncontrollable in a low voltage rage. This is the same reaction to low voltage that I had encountered during my test. This is another design flaw and there should be an update to keep this from happening.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I push to about 8% then land.. My Solo gets the wobbles while it's on the ground sometimes bouncing off the ground (always to the left) throwing a tantrum if I start the motors a couple of times but don't take off.

I suggest not going any lower, , it will be an eye opening experience when you do.
Once you get around 5% depending on the Solo and the battery it will simply take off with NO mind of its own,, why ? Because it lost it's mind without power to keep it.

Reactions: DodgeP
Yeah.. at 10% I'm usually within 15' and practicing panning or some other low altitude photography shot (while waiting for the gimbal), just before landing.

I have only let it fall below 10% twice, once to 5%, and once to 8%. Even at 5% I didn't notice anything really strange. Not sure if I would have though either. Now I will be more aware.

However I will probably not let it get that low anymore consider I want to keep my Solo.

Ryan G

I have only let it fall below 10% twice, once to 5%, and once to 8%. Even at 5% I didn't notice anything really strange. Not sure if I would have though either. Now I will be more aware.

However I will probably not let it get that low anymore consider I want to keep my Solo.

Ryan G
Good choice, ,, better tobplay on the safe side.

Yeah..considering I am not really flying for distance and only for photo and video shots I am generally only flying right now about 1000ft away from me.. and even that is scary to me so far.

Of course I am still in practice mode. :)

Ryan G

Yeah..considering I am not really flying for distance and only for photo and video shots I am generally only flying right now about 1000ft away from me.. and even that is scary to me so far.

Of course I am still in practice mode. :)

Ryan G
One step at a time, it's all about knowing and trusting you're equipment....and that can take a little time. .
Don't worry so much about crashing... it's not if, ,, it's when. ..but if you can see the warning signs crashes can sometimes be avoided...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso