Terrain Hugging with Arducopter-2.4 and pixhawk 2.1?

Reaction score
I would like to upgrade my Solo so it can perform a grid survey from a specific distance of 2-3 meters from the ground. I have successfully installed a laser altimeter on the Solo, however it can not be used to control the flight path with the current firmware.

I know that Arducopter-2.4 has the ability to do terrain hugging/following modes, so would like to upgrade the Solo to run Arducopter-2.4. From what I have read this requires the pixhawk 2.1, which I see is now available.

Will upgrading the Solo with a pixhawk 2.1 and arducopter 2.4 allow me to run grid surveys using terrain hugging at specific distances from the ground? Is this relatively straight forward to do? Will it still work in the 3DR tower app or Mission Planner?

Thank you!

Reactions: anthony_sleck
I'll let P2P give you the "bottom line", but what you want for Solo is the Green Cube. PH2.1 is probably not compatible with the Solo motherboard.
To answer your question, yes once testing is complete Arducopter (Solo Master) will run on Solo, bringing all the current capabilities with it.

Great, thank you. I saw P2P's github page and just ordered the Green Cube. It looks like exactly the solution I am seeking. I hope it works!

I would like to upgrade my Solo so it can perform a grid survey from a specific distance of 2-3 meters from the ground. I have successfully installed a laser altimeter on the Solo, however it can not be used to control the flight path with the current firmware.

I know that Arducopter-2.4 has the ability to do terrain hugging/following modes, so would like to upgrade the Solo to run Arducopter-2.4. From what I have read this requires the pixhawk 2.1, which I see is now available.

Will upgrading the Solo with a pixhawk 2.1 and arducopter 2.4 allow me to run grid surveys using terrain hugging at specific distances from the ground? Is this relatively straight forward to do? Will it still work in the 3DR tower app or Mission Planner?

Thank you!
You need to run Arducopter 3.4 or higher (with Solo you need to go to 3.5) and to enable terrain follow along with a lidar range finder.
From 3.4 onwards, Arducopter supports lidar altitude control in guided and auto mode.
I have not tested it myself, but you should be able to do this with Solex new mission capabilities, too.

ArduCopter 2.4 has been long gone. I'm not sure where you got that from or if it's just a typo.

You will indeed need to use either 3.5rc-5 or the Solo Beta. Recommend the latter. You will need to use Mission Planner to setup the mission since Tower and Solex do not have any means to select terrain as the altitude frame of reference. In MP, set the altitude dropdown for terrain and the numeric altitude you enter will be interpreted as altitude above terrain. If the LIDAR is present, it will use the LIDAR. If no LIDAR, it will use SRTM data if present. And if neither, it will revert to altitude above home.

Reactions: andrew.baker.142
Today, no. Use RC8 and the parameter file from the github site. Back in may when this was asked, it would have been the beta.

Thanks for your reply & help,
I had already loaded 3.5rc-8 with the green cube, was thinking I had loaded the wrong one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc