Talk me into buying a solo

quadcopters are still rapidly advancing
Solo is old even in car years
the stock parts seem almost primitive to the latest DJI (1" sensor from the RX100V that does 4K60, sonar & IR sensors, roughly 2x the battery life and 9x the range)
and no I'm not talking about the upper end stuff...the Phantom 4 Pro with display is still cheaper than Solo package plus a Hero4 Black at launch.

Sorry to sound like a broken record but the Mavic is close to the perfect quad. It just needs sensors on the top and back and have Solo smart shots and I would probably never need to fly with anything else again. The handling and flight characteristics are so taut whereas the Solo feels like a boat now. I hope my fellow Solo owners will get to fly one before knocking on them.

you could continue to drop hundreds and thousands of dollar into Solo, but that's a different discussion. Stock for stock, launch for launch, a great deal has happened in the two years since Solo was announced.

PS I do love how easy it is to DIY the Solo...even if I'm not one who likes dropping more money on what was a $1900 package.

You said it better than I did. I used to work in retail and I understand sell price vs manufacturing costs. People have advanced the notion that the Solo is better because of its current cost. Someone suggested that it cost $750 to manufacture. In any case, just because it was originally $2000 to get into the whole package doesn't necessarily mean that it's better than the Autel, for example or the Typhoon H tha gives you everything for less. In fact, considering the original price tag you'd have to compare it with an DJI Inspire. Um seriously fellas? The Mavic is technically half the original cost of the Solo. The P4 is as well, in fact it's less than the Mavic. My guess was technical/qc problems coupled with the release of the P4 is what put the nail in the coffin for the Solo.

Reactions: twitchyzero
Just throwing this out there- 3dr is an american company
You said it better than I did. I used to work in retail and I understand sell price vs manufacturing costs. People have advanced the notion that the Solo is better because of its current cost. Someone suggested that it cost $750 to manufacture. In any case, just because it was originally $2000 to get into the whole package doesn't necessarily mean that it's better than the Autel, for example or the Typhoon H tha gives you everything for less. In fact, considering the original price tag you'd have to compare it with an DJI Inspire. Um seriously fellas? The Mavic is technically half the original cost of the Solo. The P4 is as well, in fact it's less than the Mavic. My guess was technical/qc problems coupled with the release of the P4 is what put the nail in the coffin for the Solo.

and it never stops.....you really do hate the Solo, ha. SOLO is an american company and dji is a chinese company. go figure.....i love my solo for what it is. for it's price of $299 it gives me more than the $1000 price of a Mavic if ever i buy it. if ever which is a BIG IF EVER...

come on man, we don't need this bashing here in SOLO forum. go to DJI forum and bash the SOLO. i bet you they will appreciate you more. but here, please come on man. can we stop please.

Just throwing this out there- 3dr is an american company

and it never stops.....you really do hate the Solo, ha. SOLO is an american company and dji is a chinese company. go figure.....i love my solo for what it is. for it's price of $299 it gives me more than the $1000 price of a Mavic if ever i buy it. if ever which is a BIG IF EVER...

come on man, we don't need this bashing here in SOLO forum. go to DJI forum and bash the SOLO. i bet you they will appreciate you more. but here, please come on man. can we stop please.

Hey why didn't you jump on the other guy? Hahaha! I'll say it again, I don't hate or love any inanimate objects.

I did love the selective "American Pride" argument. It's one of my favorite points of contention. So where was the Solo manufactured? Where are basically all of the parts made? For that matter, what kind of car is in your driveway? Where was the phone or tablet you use to fly the Solo made? Where was your TV made? Your stereo? The clothes on your back? The shoes on your feet? I'm sure that the number one reason for your purchase of the Solo was patriotism. That was my reason for joining the military back in the day. However, if you're going to take the America first/patriotic high ground, you kind of have to go all the way for it to have any real meaning. Congratulations though, you've purchased an American designed drone, yay!

If I didn't know better, I'd start thinking that some of you are racist against Chinese people.

Wait, I didn't see that second part. Bashing? I'm not bashing the Solo, I own one. I'm giving honest opinion based on verifiable experience. Have you not seen what I've been through with the Solo? Btw no matter how you try to place the blame on me, "read the manual" or "don't take it to the limit" none of the 5 failures I've encountered were my fault. I could post emails, receipts, etc.

I've said it before, some of you guys are like 80s/90s Harley guys that got mad if anyone pointed out that Japanese bikes were more reliable or performed better. "I'd rather push my hog that ride a jap bike!"! Hahaha! Nothing is going to change reality. It is what it is. I flew my Solo today and yesterday. Great shots, no problems but that's the way it should be every time. Some of you guys talk as if we should just accept, without complaint, that the Solo might fly off, crash or just plain stop working through no fault of our own. That if we don't follow a very specific start up procedure, it's our own fault if there's a problem. That if we try to get the advertised 1/2 mile range that we are at fault if there's a problem. That if we don't do the recommended modifications that we are at fault if there's a problem. It's never the manufacturers fault. You "hate" DJI so much but I promise you that they don't have nearly as high of a failure rate as 3DR's with the Solo. Not to mention that I've talked about several different manufactures but you all focus on DJI.

Again, a guy posted asking for everyone's opinion about the Solo. I gave my honest opinion based on my experiences with the platform. Period. I'm sorry that you don't like my answers.

Last edited:
My guess was technical/qc problems coupled with the release of the P4 is what put the nail in the coffin for the Solo.
I forgot which article it is, google downfall of 3DR.

basically it came down to 1 thing: hubris.

The company made way, way too many Solos, priced it above competition AND was without the gimbal for the first 4 months. So obviously reviews sucked and they weren't really moving until they were on fire sale for $300, laugh.out.loud.

I forgot which article it is, google downfall of 3DR.

basically it came down to 1 thing: hubris.

The company made way, way too many Solos, priced it above competition AND was without the gimbal for the first 4 months. So obviously reviews sucked and they weren't really moving until they were on fire sale for $300, laugh.out.loud.

No, no, no it was those evil Chinese people! The Solo and 3DR are perfect in every way. You hate America that's your problem. How dare you point out the obvious failings of 3DR or their product on the Solo forum! You need to take that negative attitude to the DJI forum. We're all about rainbows and unicorns over here and no matter what the facts are, we'll just keep living the dream! I'm never taking the red pill, blue pills forever!!! Hahaha!

Last edited:
Reactions: Alan D
Oh and if anyone is interested in what I think the very best drone value is, it's by far the Go Pro Karma with a Hero 5 bundle for $1100. Camera $400, Karma Grip $300, back pack $130, that makes the drone itself cost less than $300! Plus you don't need a tablet but a friend can control the camera with one as you fly. Tell me that isn't cool!

I was fortunate to get my solo backpack preinstalled gimbal and Battery combination when Best Buy was clearing out at $300. Actually flew it for the first time today. So easy. Awesome. Got great video. Huge fan/support base. I was glad I pulled the trigger. I think you will be too.

I was fortunate to get my solo backpack preinstalled gimbal and Battery combination when Best Buy was clearing out at $300. Actually flew it for the first time today. So easy. Awesome. Got great video. Huge fan/support base. I was glad I pulled the trigger. I think you will be too.

That's how I got my third unit. What a great deal!

don't buy one...it was good but now unsupported and on its way to bankruptcy. App is no longer compatible with apple. If you just want to fly...there are better ones to get. Gopro camera feature is being killed by apple and gopro.
APP WORKS JUST FINE WITH NEW iOS for me!!

For your needs maybe but no other drone has the same smooth smart shots. So to me you're comparing apples and oranges.

To me they are very different. I've flown both, if i want one for travel then a mavic is ok. If i want one to do cinematic shots, and repeatedly then the Solo is my choice. Different tools for different purposes.

Sure i can use a screwdriver as a chisel but at the end of the day if its serious i pull out the chisel.

For your needs maybe but no other drone has the same smooth smart shots. So to me you're comparing apples and oranges.

To me they are very different. I've flown both, if i want one for travel then a mavic is ok. If i want one to do cinematic shots, and repeatedly then the Solo is my choice. Different tools for different purposes.

Sure i can use a screwdriver as a chisel but at the end of the day if its serious i pull out the chisel.

Okay, everyone focuses on the Mavic and DJI. Have you flown the Yuneec or the Autel? Is the Solo "better " than the Inspire? Cost wise that would be the drone to compare it to. People are comparing a $2000 drone system to $1000 drone and proclaiming it's superiority. How does it match up to units with similar msrps?

Okay, everyone focuses on the Mavic and DJI. Have you flown the Yuneec or the Autel? Is the Solo "better " than the Inspire? Cost wise that would be the drone to compare it to. People are comparing a $2000 drone system to $1000 drone and proclaiming it's superiority. How does it match up to units with similar msrps?
Ive not personally flown a Yuneec brand. You are looking at it very differently to how i look at these things. They are a tool to make something happen.

There are times i'd like a Solo, there are times i want my custom rigs, there are times i'd use a Mavic, there are times i'd consider an Inspire 1 or 2. Ive flown all of those(as well as earlier dji stuff), with the exception of the I2.

What i need it for will dictate what i use. There is no best for everything, each has its pros and cons. For me smartshots like mpcc rate extremely high on my needs. Just not on yours by your own admission, this is the one feature yet to be matched. Even on the karma or Yuneecs by all accounts.

If the op wants a good all round cinematic capable device then I'd personally recommend a Solo at its current price point. The gopro quality is a limiting factor but it still stacks up to the stuff at its current price point.

At its old price point (which is what my first one was purchased at) I'd say something different.

If the op likes to tinker then the Solo is a good machine for that. I'd also suggest once the gimbal code is released we'll see 3rd party gimbals too. Philip is pushing 3dr hard and he's making progress.

Point is Solo's capabilities will expand for years and years with Ardupilot.

Oh and fellas, I like discussing these things as topics of conversation. Some of you guys act like you birthed the Solo yourselves! You take it so personally. You talk about "love and hate " in reference to an inanimate object. I just like talking about this as a way to pass time, I don't take about of this personally. I've flown the Mavic, the Inspire and the Solo. They all have their positives in my opinion. Those that dismiss the Inspire our the Mavic Just because they are made by DJI are fools in my opinion. I personally think that the Solo falls in the middle of these two drones.

Ive not personally flown a Yuneec brand. You are looking at it very differently to how i look at these things. They are a tool to make something happen.

There are times i'd like a Solo, there are times i want my custom rigs, there are times i'd use a Mavic, there are times i'd consider an Inspire 1 or 2. Ive flown all of those(as well as earlier dji stuff), with the exception of the I2.

What i need it for will dictate what i use. There is no best for everything, each has its pros and cons. For me smartshots like mpcc rate extremely high on my needs. Just not on yours by your own admission, this is the one feature yet to be matched. Even on the karma or Yuneecs by all accounts.

If the op wants a good all round cinematic capable device then I'd personally recommend a Solo at its current price point. The gopro quality is a limiting factor but it still stacks up to the stuff at its current price point.

At its old price point (which is what my first one was purchased at) I'd say something different.

If the op likes to tinker then the Solo is a good machine for that. I'd also suggest once the gimbal code is released we'll see 3rd party gimbals too. Philip is pushing 3dr hard and he's making progress.

Point is Solo's capabilities will expand for years and years with Ardupilot.

Ok that was an awesome reply, thank you. I hope you are right a far as future upgrades are concerned. Of course, that will cause me to question the intelligence of spending hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars on an outdated/ unsupported unit when presumably, a Mavic 2, Typhoon I, Karma 2, etc will be available for the same money. Especially when batteries, other parts, etc may become scarce. Just saying.

This video uses a P4, Solo and H. You can tell which is which, the P4 has an excellent camera but poor autonomous moves, does not frame the subject well. The H overall is great but does not have the cinematic moves Solo has. While held back by the GP Solo blows away the others with it moves. Notice the Solo going uphill using dynamic altitude while orbiting at will, it's just a different level than what DJI offers.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This video uses a P4, Solo and H. You can tell which is which, the P4 has an excellent camera but poor autonomous moves, does not frame the subject well. The H overall is great but does not have the cinematic moves Solo has. While held back by the GP Solo blows away the others with it moves. Notice the Solo going uphill using dynamic altitude while orbiting at will, it's just a different level than what DJI offers.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That is awesome! Dynamic altitude isn't a "Solo" feature but more dependent on the phone/ tablet that you use, right? The Yuneec Typhoon is supposed to not only adjust height but dodge obstacles as well, if I'm not mistaken. I would have sworn that the DJI offerings did as well but I could be wrong.

I was also under the impression that the units that use "optical follow " or "target lock" did a better framing job because of the limitations of GPS.

Last edited:
I do agree that all of the units have their strong points and I also agree that the Solo falls somewhere in the middle of the pack.

That is awesome! Dynamic altitude isn't a "Solo" feature but more dependent on the phone/ tablet that you use, right? The Yuneec Typhoon is supposed to not only adjust height but dodge obstacles as well, if I'm not mistaken. I would have sworn that the DJI offerings did as well but I could be wrong.

I was also under the impression that the units that use "optical follow " or "target lock" did a better framing job because of the limitations of GPS.

Visual tracking does a much better job framing but it is limited by distance, speed and angle. You must be close up and have a good lock to work properly. VPS does a good job controlling altitude below 10 meters but will only correct up, not down, and is useless above 10 meters.

Solo can GPS follow 5 feet or 1/2 mile from the subject orbiting with DA, stop at any clock position at any altitude, AT cannot do this. Some of my videos show my Solo spiral orbit from a few feet off the hood to 3,000 feet out then back.

Solo definitely has strong points for what I do, the H is my second choice. If I were floating around taking pictures of flowers or buildings the camera/gimbal of the Phantom is awesome and I would use it over Solo; so it comes down to need.

Okay, this is the type of information and conversation that I've always wanted to have on this forum. Too often, if you dare to point out a strong point of another drone or a weakness in our drone you get blasted. Thank you for very informative dialogue.

Ok that was an awesome reply, thank you. I hope you are right a far as future upgrades are concerned. Of course, that will cause me to question the intelligence of spending hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars on an outdated/ unsupported unit when presumably, a Mavic 2, Typhoon I, Karma 2, etc will be available for the same money. Especially when batteries, other parts, etc may become scarce. Just saying.

No probs. On the batteries it appears 3rd parties are now or about to be produced (there seems to several non geniune ones out there, havent used them myself so dont know if they are any good).

Much cheaper to just upgrade parts on an existing platform than purchase a whole new thing. That was the intent of the Solo. Lots is finally happening in this space.

Biggest thing it all hinges on is the gimbal code on the imx6. If they release that then 3rd parties will make them.

On wear and tear items I'm confident 3rd paety drop in motor pods will be available. Just got to let the genuine ones reduce a bit. Hard to justify 3rd party pods when a referb can be had for under 200.

DJI are not bad its just not right for my needs most of the time. I've enjoyed flying their devices when ive flown them. I had a 2 person Inspire one crew absolutely floored i could do the moves they were doing, whats funny is mine were repeatable 100%. So i got the shot in 3 takes (with minor tweeks), they took over 15 goes to get it and a whole bunch of time. Only comment I've got is a nicer camera on the solo would have been great. I'd love to get my blackmagic micro cinema camera on it (its pretty light).

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986