Taking stills with GoPro Hero 3 black

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Hero 3 Black hooked to iPhone 7 Plus. I can see live feed, but the record button on phone is greyed out. Can I take stills or record video from the phone, or do I need to set it running before takeoff?

With anything less than a 3+ Black you don't have full control of the GP from the app. For video you'd have to start the recording manually before takeoff. I don't know how taking stills would work or if you can even do it.

Thanks Rich,

Thanks for confirming my fears. Had a muck about yesterday arvo after work, using the wireless remote for the GoPro I can start and stop it it using that within say 10m. I set the camera to 'stop motion' where I can specify the photo interval, and it just clicks away say every 5 or 10 seconds. I know when it takes a pic as the screen 'flickers' each time. Not ideal, but it works. Cheers

Thanks Rich,

Thanks for confirming my fears. Had a muck about yesterday arvo after work, using the wireless remote for the GoPro I can start and stop it it using that within say 10m. I set the camera to 'stop motion' where I can specify the photo interval, and it just clicks away say every 5 or 10 seconds. I know when it takes a pic as the screen 'flickers' each time. Not ideal, but it works. Cheers

I didn't think about the GP remote. I thought they had more range than that? I have one but never tried it at a distance. If you are flying using a tablet, maybe you could use your phone to control the GP using the GP app? Not sure what the range is when doing that either though.

Not sure about the range of the remote...I have a second iPhone which I could tether to the GP so might try your suggestion...potentially change from stills to video etc. Range would be limited on that too. I reckon 10m'ish will be it.

Hi, I have a Hero 3 Black hooked to iPhone 7 Plus. I can see live feed, but the record button on phone is greyed out. Can I take stills or record video from the phone, or do I need to set it running before takeoff?

I had this question today im new with 3drsolo and i also have a GP3+B .... i was thinking of setting the GP to TIME LAPSE mode prob each 3 sec.. and just go up and take pics, is prob the best option if we don't have the option on the app.. that sucks i guess i will need to get the gp4 for the full controls

I had this question today im new with 3drsolo and i also have a GP3+B .... i was thinking of setting the GP to TIME LAPSE mode prob each 3 sec.. and just go up and take pics, is prob the best option if we don't have the option on the app.. that sucks i guess i will need to get the gp4 for the full controls

You should be able to control your 3+ Black by the Solo app. It's the 3 Black (notice the missing "+") that cannot be controlled by the Solo app.

Thanks Rich,

It is not advisable to use the GoPro remote while flying as the signal from the remote can interfere with the signal from the controller. That can be confirmed in the Solo manual. I would forego the GoPro remote, and just set it to take a still every few seconds (or as often as you set it) just to be safe. That works quite well, and sometimes you can get a great pic you didn't even know you were taking. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela