Tablet GPS

Reaction score
In the market for an android tablet to utilize Solex and I just need some clarification about some things before I make a purchase. I have been looking at the Asus Zenpad 8" from Verizon to be able to have data on the tablet. Though I don't really want to tack on more money to my phone bill, do I really need data to be able to utilize the full features of Solex? I have also been looking at the Insignia 8" tablet from BB which says it is GPS enabled. Does this mean I can still use smart shots like follow me without data? I haven't used planned flights and I probably won't anytime soon but if I do I know I could just pre-load the map of the area I fly in to do so which makes me unsure about getting a data plan in the first place. Sorry if this has been asked before, my searches didn't really come up with what I'm trying to figure out. Thanks guys!

I bought the Nexus 7 (2013 model) 16 GB about a year ago on Amazon for about $120. I see the price has gone up since then. It has GPS.

I do not have a data or phone plan and it works fine with Tower, Solex, and the 3DR Solo app.

I have Tab A. Just got solo off the ground for the first time last night. just 5min of up down, out back, etc. When you fly the solo, you disconnect your tablet from the normal WiFI and connect it to the controller, so it appears that this no-internet state is expected for the app / controller.

Reactions: Maddog
I have Tab A. Just got solo off the ground for the first time last night. just 5min of up down, out back, etc. When you fly the solo, you disconnect your tablet from the normal WiFI and connect it to the controller, so it appears that this no-internet state is expected for the app / controller.
That is correct.;)

Yes, I know that but that wasn't my question. I just wanted to know if a tablet not being connected to a data plan will have the same effect as one with a data plan to allow the use of smart shots like follow me.

Yes, I know that but that wasn't my question. I just wanted to know if a tablet not being connected to a data plan will have the same effect as one with a data plan to allow the use of smart shots like follow me.
Smart shots do not require or use any cellular connection. The primary reason to have a data plan is only for the convenience of not having to cache maps before you need them in the field. The only other time data would be required is for a specific type of follow shot that only the app Solex offers. It allows you to follow someone else's tablet/phone that is sending Solex their location over the internet connection of both devices.

Reactions: Maddog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea