Super Noob.

Reaction score
Well almost super.
Please read my intro.

I'm just getting started and have one single flight completed with my Solo so far.
I'd like to go test the Return to home in a big open field.
I'm not finding BOTH what the default RTH height is and where do I set it.

I also am quickly getting the impression that you can't really do much with the default solo app
and really need to get tower to do or set anything.

When flying manually (acro mode) every time I start a new flight the performance slider goes back
to "slowest" setting and is not remembering where I set it.

Like it expects me to set this for every flight.

Thanks!
Steve

I see I didn't name the thread very well either but can't edit the thread title.
Sorry.

Well almost super.
Please read my intro.

I'm just getting started and have one single flight completed with my Solo so far.

I also am quickly getting the impression that you can't really do much with the default solo app

When flying manually (acro mode) every time I start a new flight the performance slider goes back

Thanks!
Steve
Welcome, Steve. If you haven't studied the manual, you need to download it and study it well. Your RTH altitude is in the Solo settings on the app. A simple test is to be in an open area with your RTH altitude set to clear all obstacles, and make sure you have good gps lock before taking off. Then take it out about 100 feet and then hit RTH on the controller. That will initiate RTH and you can observe how it works. By staying in close, you can always hit your Fly button and regain control. Also, the Solo app does everything I need. You have to practice using it and become familiar with what it can do. Safe flying to you.

Well almost super.
Please read my intro.

Thanks!
Steve
I wouldn't recommend flying in acro mode if you've never flown before.
Program the "A" or "B" button for manual in case you lose control.

Thanks guys! I'll study the manual really well.
Weather has been mostly yucky.
I'm at home in acro mode.
All the assisted flight modes make me nervous (hahaha) until I get used to them!

Here's me doing some "acro" flying earlier in 2016 :)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks guys! I'll study the manual really well.
Weather has been mostly yucky.
I'm at home in acro mode.
All the assisted flight modes make me nervous (hahaha) until I get used to them!

Here's me doing some "acro" flying earlier in 2016 :)
Very Nice Nate! that's some great flying. Would love to see you put the Solo through it's paces in Acro..

Keeping it safe and having lots of fun.
But not in this crappy weather we have in Michigan!

I actually did read the manual the first day I got it and I just read it again.
One new thing I learned from the second pass is that the magnetometer sensor is in one of the legs.
SO the read was worthwhile.

It (the manual) didn't cover RTH altitude other than stating that it was 49 FT.
But nothing on how to change it.

You're right... it's in the app.
Just that I couldn't see it in the app unless actually connected to the Solo which mostly due to weather and a very cluttered work area
I had not been connected to the Solo in a couple of weeks.
Forced myself to clean house and get connected to have a look.

All set now.

:)

1.Don't fly in acro mode for a couple months, even 3DR representives don't recommended it.

2a.Testing rth is easy, before take off, go to setting, in them change rth altitude to 150 or so feet, make sure it's set to launch postion and land. Not hover.

2b. Set preset buttons to fly manual, both buttons for now the same.
Launch drone. Make sure on remote allitude seems reasonably correct, for example: ( 15 feet looks like 15 feet I the air)
Make sure distance away from home is accurate and is in gps fly mode and with a solid gps lock.

Go fly drone roughly 50-100 feet away and click the home button.
The drone should stop in place, climb to preset allitude height to return to home. If it is close enough to the cone ( you should know what this is if you read the manual on this part) it will reach a point where it is either high enough and hits come from its launch position or climb all the way to the set allitude. It will then hover over launch area and slowly descend and land. Not that hard

Following Up:
I did have a chance to take it to a big open wide place and get familiar with it and run a bunch of RTH tests and really get a better feel for it.
I set my RTH altitude to what was appropriate for the big trees in the area.
I did all my first flights in acro mode to make sure everything non GPS assisted worked properly first. :)
I'm an experienced multirotor pilot.
Perfectly comfortable in all orientations.
:)

I'm nothing spectacular to write the press about but am very comfortable and confident flying quads in acro mode.

Hey also, I don't know what manual you have but I have the full manual saved on my phone as a PDF, so it's always there. It covers everything.
You can find it online.
Happy flying!!

:) me too have it on my phone and on the laptops :)

That one was just a test not really a racer.
I've flown some 3s toys for awhile FPV but not really got into course racing until just now more recently.
Am building my first racer in a couple weeks from now.

I have a 3S slow heavy "truck" that holds two cameras and a large 2200maH 3S pack.
It's pretty heavy not technically a racer class machine but here it is in action a few months back:
Built it just to learn slow FPV and get my self started.
It's a heavy overloaded ZMR250 clone.

Reactions: jpstudio02
Good question.
Thanks for asking.
Answer:
I am absolutely new to Solo and ANYTHING that is GPS assisted.
No familiarity with Ardupilot (other than a high level I know basically what it is and what it does).
No familiarity with Pixhawk or Pixhawk 2.
No familiarity with Tower Mission Planner (MP) or any other software that works with Solo.

Good question.
Thanks for asking.
Answer:
I am absolutely new to Solo and ANYTHING that is GPS assisted.
No familiarity with Ardupilot (other than a high level I know basically what it is and what it does).
No familiarity with Pixhawk or Pixhawk 2.
No familiarity with Tower Mission Planner (MP) or any other software that works with Solo.
Ahh I gotcha on that, I'm not sure of any of the other stuff other then the gps questions you may have. I only have apple products to use with it so I can use anything other then the 3DR solo controll app.
If you need any more help with gps questions I'm here to help for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40