Spastic/Jittery/Jiggly Solo

Reaction score
My Solo is spastic and jittery, which also makes for some really horrible video. It didn't used to be like this. It jiggles and wiggles both while it's hovering and while it's moving. I'm not sure where to even begin diagnosing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, I didn't notice this while flying but I took a video from my phone of it hovering and jiggling and in the video the front lights seem to blink really fast between green and blue. But maybe that's just how it produces white and it's just he video frames look like that?

Sorry, the video sucks and in real life it seems a lot more jiggly than it looks like in the video, but maybe it'll give you an idea:
http://ash2o.com/ShakySolo.mp4

Also, I did a level calibration and that didn't make a difference.

Maybe your props aren't balanced? I'm thinking either the props or the ESC.

Maybe your props aren't balanced? I'm thinking either the props or the ESC.
I tried stock and MAS props and it didn't seem to make a difference. If it's an ESC, how do I figure out which ESC, since it still flies so the ESC isn't totally toast? The diagnostic stuff I'm finding for ESCs seem to be regarding a complete failure.

I would give her a smack on her butt, u have a sticky accelerometer.

Pull and analyze the logs. AND/OR use Mission Planner's Motor Test feature and look/listen to each motor as you run it through different speed ranges.

Pull and analyze the logs. AND/OR use Mission Planner's Motor Test feature and look/listen to each motor as you run it through different speed ranges.
I used Misson Planner's motor test, and each motor sounds a bit different. The front motors are a bit quieter than the back, and the front left is the least loud and the back left is the loudest. A 4dB limit as measured with an iPhone app a couple inches away.

As far as log files...I pulled the log files, but don't really know what to look for. I'm attaching graphs of "Mechanical Failure" selected and and one of just DesRoll and Roll selected in case that's meaningful to anybody.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 1.19.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 1.19.33 PM.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 1.20.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 1.20.36 PM.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 15
Also the Auto Analysis includes:
Test: Motor Balance = GOOD - Motor channel averages = [1588, 1554, 1571, 1513]
Average motor output = 1556
Difference between min and max motor averages = 75

That seems like a pretty wide range. Most of the averages I've seen
are within 30rpm of each other. But maybe someone else has better info.

An alternative thought for why jittery flight.... Back in the beginning it was suggested to place Sorbothane between the main board and the battery tray. This was supposed to calm the vibes getting to the flight controller. I think it was simply called the "Sorbo Mod" and there is a video or images showing the placement of the sorbo here on the forum.

I did the mod back when and it definitely made a difference in Solo's ability to stabilize a hover. Had removed the mod while testing other things and it was plain as day how the mod improved Solo's flight...

Regarding the motor noise. Check that your motor pods are properly secured. Alternatively, you may want to consider changing out the bearings to better quality bearings. At a minimum, a drop of oil on the existing bearings will help reduce the noise, but is only a short term solution imho. Again several threads regarding bearings here on the forum.

Reactions: TR3DRsolo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M