Sounds like Phantom and Inspire will have smart shots next week

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

FYI these official DJI supported features like the waypoints are not preflight programmable like the programmable waypoints available with ARDUcopter.. You must fly DJI product along the route you want to automate first and the DJI FC will remember your route so you can fly it later. The DJI TX must also remain in range the entire route so no truly autonomous flights without a link back to the TX. However there are already 3rd party apps via the DJI SDK that provide this functionality

Last edited:
I wish DJI and 3DR would just merge. Let DJI develop, build and distribute and 3DR can handle customer support.
No! I'd rather reap the benefits of both companies and any other new players who would like to compete with them.
Let DJI develop their own damned customer service from the ground up! I tried a few weeks ago for three days straight to get in contact with someone involved with DJI's "new and improved" customer service. Call after call was met with a recording that stated something like; "Thank you for calling DJI. We are experiencing a higher than normal call volume, please call back at a later time, Thank You." and then it would hang up on me. Still wondering where the improvement was made?

Reactions: rrmccabe
No! I'd rather reap the benefits of both companies and any other new players who would like to compete with them.
Let DJI develop their own damned customer service from the ground up! I tried a few weeks ago for three days straight to get in contact with someone involved with DJI's "new and improved" customer service. Call after call was met with a recording that stated something like; "Thank you for calling DJI. We are experiencing a higher than normal call volume, please call back at a later time, Thank You." and then it would hang up on me. Still wondering where the improvement was made?
Maybe previously the "call back later" message didn't say please

Competition is good. DJI has been talking about these features for awhile. They are going to have to push these features out asap, and keep new stuff coming at a much faster rate than they have historically.

I would note that what is described aren't really smart shots though. It just way points and follow me. A lot of drones have those features. They aren't considered "smart" per se. Maybe someone can correct me, but I don't see anything about cable cam type shots with "professional" multi-axis easing in and out.

Cant speak for the DJI Go version Erik but the SDK version like Litchi does in fact have smart shots with multi axis control. Unless 3DR improves the orbit I think the DJI SDK has much more functionality as well.

That said I don't think it is/will be as refined as the Solo as it does not appear smart enough in all circumstances to keep the legs out of all shots unless you go really slow.

I am still expecting 3DR to have smoother pans, etc but I have nothing solid to base this on.

Reactions: DodgeP
I think it's funny their having trouble copying simplified shots from the little guy competition. I like my p2 but Dji isn't exactly innovative or creative now and they managed to make their proven phantom design worse. Cracks didn't start on p2 for a hundred flights. Being proven is why they haven't changed a thing outside right? Even though 3dr has screwed up this release, still think ill be happier with solo than I'd of been with phantom or even inspire once I have my gimbal.

Come on 3dr.

Inspire 2, here I come. However, for now, it's fun with Solo. I don't mind the wait. First world problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1264_Solo
This compatition is getting sweet. It's going to be great for us consumers in this market. Now, if 3DR can Inspire, pun intended; DJI to up their industrial design game. Then we'll be cooking with gas.
It's about time for a sexier Phantom with retractable legs.

Reactions: erikgraham
Did I misread? Or will the inspire not have follow me?
Be lucky if it has any of it since its getting to the end of its dji life cycle I'm sure 2 should be out in no time. Then 3 grand please and your back to cutting edge, well kinda. P3 with light bridge and sensors does seem like a good deal but they cheaped out on other areas it seems like to hit their price point. If they make a copter that's actually got some new features and isn't just a copy with a gold star on it I may consider one since I rarely use customer service anyway. Unless something I own breaks in the first week I'll just fix it myself, probably won't ever use solos warranty either although it's nice to not worry about flyaways. I'm hoping 3dr is what They seemed to be once caught up again but I'm not as loyal as I initially started out, so whoever makes the best bird wins as far as I'm concerned. If that's 3dr great, dji meh still maybe, yuneec or whoever else if they're pushing new features that matter brand means very little as long as they are well made. More exiting than anything is that there's now real competition so prices go down and innovation has to go up to compete so even if solo ends up not being a total game changer and is just a good platform, we as consumers still are winning next generation. I'd bet even dji has little choice but to make some big changes especially on phantoms or they'll start to lose their hold on the market, so solo really is changing the game either way it goes in the long run at least even after this mess we've been through.

Reactions: erikgraham
You know.... 3 waypoints ala 3 point cable cam would have been useful so many times already. A tracking shot then a zoom out / away. I'm sure I could kind of do it in tower, but then I need the heights and to trust a sat image for something potentially close as well as burning time when the birds in the air at the right spot

This is my first feature wish aside from boat mode (and more useful to me) on of course a gimbal :)

Can you drop a waypoint from live data in tower with heights? That would work in a pinch.

Cant speak for the DJI Go version Erik but the SDK version like Litchi does in fact have smart shots with multi axis control. Unless 3DR improves the orbit I think the DJI SDK has much more functionality as well.

That said I don't think it is/will be as refined as the Solo as it does not appear smart enough in all circumstances to keep the legs out of all shots unless you go really slow.

I am still expecting 3DR to have smoother pans, etc but I have nothing solid to base this on.
From what I've seen, the Solo isn't smart enough to keep the legs out of the shots either - unless you drop down to 2.7K Medium. I get my gimbal tomorrow so I'll do some tests, but a couple guys posted videos in another thread and at 4K Wide, a moderately aggressive yaw cause the legs to invade the corners. (stock lens)

But even with the Litchi stuff, I haven't seen the really nice multi axis easing. What I have seen looks very linear.

Thats right. Not yet anyway. Nice way to treat the guys that spent the extra money !
All the (current) follow me implementations are kind of useless anyway. Its a topic for another thread, but I think follow me is overrated until someone (3DR or DJI) nails it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc