Sony R10C for enterprise now available

since we have some visitors from 3DR today, WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU NOT SELL THIS CAMERA/GIMBAL PACKAGE TO ANY SOLO OWNER WHO WOULD LIKE TO BUY IT??? I AM NOT A SURVEYOR, DONT NEED SITESCAN OR ANY MAPPING SOFTWARE...I NEED MORE HARDWARE ACCESSORIES TO BUY FOR MY SOLO..this isnt rocket science marketing

-whoops capslock, sorry

What visitors from 3dr? I believe the 2.4 announcement was just a copy/paste from the fb group where Phu announced it's availability.

What visitors from 3dr? I believe the 2.4 announcement was just a copy/paste from the fb group where Phu announced it's availability.
ah thnx, I read the OP of the new 2.4 avail thread as being Phu since there was nothing else mentioning it was a copy/paste...oh well

in the meantime, I thought this was interesting,,,apparently the UMC-R10C will not be locked to 3DR(which makes perfect sense, highly doubtful Sony would re-engineer/manufacture a new camera and not try and shift as many units as possible)
New Kespry Drone 2.0 Has Twice the Aerial Coverage | Business Wire

I'm looking for someone that will have the R10C and like to discuss what is different from my X10. A particular question is Sony is doing anything different on the R10C I/O, hardwired of WiFi?

I'm looking for someone that will have the R10C and like to discuss what is different from my X10. A particular question is Sony is doing anything different on the R10C I/O, hardwired of WiFi?
i think one of the points of the R10C is to migrate away from wifi and offer usb hardwire

Well that's the route I'm at but have modified my camera for an external trigger for the Reach RTK GPS logger. I'm way behind as paying contracts took my attention away. If the R10C does not have an output of equivalent to a hot shoe, it is of little value to me, unless it will take GPS data in to write in the geotag info.

The reason why 3DR isn't selling it for consumer users outside enterprise site scan is very simple. Because commercial users would buy it, use it for commercial survey use without buying the rest of the site scan package. They'd use all the other options available for acquiring and producing those products, using the fancy new camera. 3DR wants to force people into the enterprise site scan package, and using the camera as a major carrot on the stick. It makes business sense. I hope eventually they give up on that if it doesn't work and open sales up to anyone.

Reactions: franknitty69
The reason why 3DR isn't selling it for consumer users outside enterprise site scan is very simple. Because commercial users would buy it, use it for commercial survey use without buying the rest of the site scan package. They'd use all the other options available for acquiring and producing those products, using the fancy new camera. 3DR wants to force people into the enterprise site scan package, and using the camera as a major carrot on the stick. It makes business sense. I hope eventually they give up on that if it doesn't work and open sales up to anyone.
Right on, but 3DR doesnt dictate to Sony..the only thing they could hold hostage from us filthy commoners is the gimbal, which I would guess someone will recreate once they get their hands on the camera

in the end, no 4K or 2.7K video kinda makes this camera luke-warm for video purposes... Id bite prbly if the camera/stock lens ends up being avail for ~$500-700 and the gimbal for ~$500 or less

I'm interested it Sitescan and the R10C but they could not demonstrate the value to me. The functions were very limited to the way they wrote the software. Hopefully it has matured in the last few months. I see sitescan more for designers then surveyors. You need all the Autodesk software to get the full benefit of it. Sitescan serves a very niche market. For surveying the work flow is way to cumbersome.

Right on, but 3DR doesnt dictate to Sony..the only thing they could hold hostage from us filthy commoners is the gimbal, which I would guess someone will recreate once they get their hands on the camera
They both signed a contract agreeing to this. So they're holding each other hostage on the matter. Just like you can't buy the 3.97mm lens from anyone but Peau. The vendor pays the manufacturer more than they would get retailing it with assurances of quantity, and the manufacturer agrees not to sell it to anyone else. But ya, the gimbal we're screwed no matter what.

Last edited:
This way we probably will never see UMC-R10C on the solo for other tasks than related to Site Scan...
Sorry to hear that..

They both signed a contract agreeing to this.
I assume that as well, but do we actually know that? How do we know they weren't just part of the regular $99/year or $999/year gopro development programs that most people/companies are using?
GoPro Developer Program

If there was an actual contract, I tend to think more would be done than allowing themselves to be held hostage, illegally. It could have also only been for a year, which is up by now.

I assume that as well, but do we actually know that? How do we know they weren't just part of the regular $99/year or $999/year gopro development programs that most people/companies are using?
GoPro Developer Program

If there was an actual contract, I tend to think more would be done than allowing themselves to be held hostage, illegally. It could have also only been for a year, which is up by now.
You know Steve, this is what I see with Sitescan. One pays to play being an essential early adopter. The support and development team should be there but it's wholly up to the buyer to be aware if what is there will work for them else the learning curve could get very painful. I really look forward to see what they develop into.

I believe it was 3DR that said it was a contract between them and Sony. It was months ago I saw that, so I couldn't cite it today.

in the end, no 4K or 2.7K video kinda makes this camera luke-warm for video purposes... Id bite prbly if the camera/stock lens ends up being avail for ~$500-700 and the gimbal for ~$500 or less

i might be jumping to conclusions re the "no 4k video"...the sensor is def capable and sony image processor is as well...i guess we'll see...i know all those enterprise site surveyors are really into shooting 4k cinema...( /s)
6xRLMb9fBtLeVmSvsFrCgNoEmZX9KqznZ3rndQerfmR8IvvBrYdogNIEPcE-a1jwa3ePXTbJxcCbOdNNrd66q4_KFKAGIJdpaSiw8pEfPK9HdTTgiWoLkG4Gh7grTpSh9Xhu_E3s3GiSk-0O7Q

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo