Solo’s Camera Potential

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I thought that GoPro was the only camera that fitted the gimbal. But I found some news from last year that cameras that fit the hardcase for GoPro will fit, also that if you have the time it's possible to develop a own gimbal and make it work for the platform.

I will test a different camera next week that has the same dimension as the GoPro and has a bus connection at the back. The camera I found works with every accessories that is for Hero 4. So I will get back to you all next week.

Reactions: Sully
Hi everyone. I thought that GoPro was the only camera that fitted the gimbal. But I found some news from last year that cameras that fit the hardcase for GoPro will fit, also that if you have the time it's possible to develop a own gimbal and make it work for the platform.

I will test a different camera next week that has the same dimension as the GoPro and has a bus connection at the back. The camera I found works with every accessories that is for Hero 4. So I will get back to you all next week.
There are no other cameras that work like the GP available. The difference is no other camera has the 'Hero Port' on the back, which is what is used for control by the Solo and Apps. If you just want to lift a camera, push the record button before you take off and record the entire flight, possible get a live view, then yes, there are different cameras that the Solo can lift, but not offer the control that the GP offers.

Also, in regards to 'develop a Gimbal', that is in the same boat. People have used 3rd party gimbals before. But only for straight stabilization. They won't work with Smart Shots until 3DR releases the code for the gimbal. And as of yet it has not been available of hacked.

Reactions: Chuck and SARDG
There are no other cameras that work like the GP available. The difference is no other camera has the 'Hero Port' on the back, which is what is used for control by the Solo and Apps. If you just want to lift a camera, push the record button before you take off and record the entire flight, possible get a live view, then yes, there are different cameras that the Solo can lift, but not offer the control that the GP offers.

Also, in regards to 'develop a Gimbal', that is in the same boat. People have used 3rd party gimbals before. But only for straight stabilization. They won't work with Smart Shots until 3DR releases the code for the gimbal. And as of yet it has not been available of hacked.

OK but what I understand it's possible if you read this: https://news.3dr.com/solo-s-camera-potential-the-swiss-army-drone-4f9a319b8ebf#.oajqb4xrp

That is referring to hardware, not software. The hardware is open and other have developed for it. But the thing that sets Solo apart from any other drone is the feedback from the gimbal to Solo's onboard computer and the software that controls it. To date, no other consumer manufacturer has been able to duplicate that unique aspect of Solo.

the issue is not 3drs, it is gopros
that hero buss is propietary
when gopro and 3dr were buddies flying high on positive cash flow they collaborated
then things fell apart
Gopro to my understanding is not handing out info on thier propietary buss information
and 3DR is not sharing thier propietary gimbal code

That linked article was propaganda from a year ago. I'm afraid not much outside development was done for a new gimbal and camera (except the Site Scan one).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok i see. So Hero 3 + 4 is the only camera to use in the gimbal.

Ok i see. So Hero 3 + 4 is the only camera to use in the gimbal.
If you want video feed and any kind of reasonable camera control, then only the cameras listed in the Solo App will work - 3+, 4 Silver, 4 Black. My suggestion would be to get the GPH4B as it shoots at a higher frame rate vs. resolution as I remember.

Some older GP models will work in a very limited fashion if downgraded to old FW and other third-party cameras have been retrofitted to the gimbal with some success, but NOT camera control. Don't buck the system - get a recommended camera or you will likely NOT be satisfied. If funds are an issue, look for a used recommended camera. In the meantime, if you are new to drones, go get some flying practice with the fixed mount on the Solo. Don't fly around with the gimbal without a camera attached.

Reactions: Chuck
Yes. My thought is you didn't bother read a single thing in this thread or any other thread before posting this question in this thread.
I was going to say that... but I'm trying desperately to be a good girl by simply ignoring dozens of posts. It takes much fortitude. :(

I was asking about that particular camera, not about using a non GP. Asshole

Then don't be lazy and post it in a thread that's totally unrelated to that question. Hint, that makes someone an asshole, and it isn't me.

Reactions: SARDG
Has anyone tried a Sony HX90V? It has a mini HDMI and GPS image tagging at 18.2 MP.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela