Solo with NEO-M8N Module and 8.3mm Active Patch Antenna Test

@Ian [P13] I never mentioned anything about stabilization. If you dont think they cut the best shots out of that video during post you are crazy ! :p

I do not expect the legs to get in the shot. I was agreeing with you.

You said "Even if they dipped a leg into the frame you now they are going to take it out in post." that wouldn't be a RAW unprocessed shot, my point was at least two videos in the wild are being asserted as being unprocessed. As a leg would normally be edge of the frame, you'd crop in to remove that, at that point you couldn't call it raw any more, that's the point I was raising.

OK fair enough. I was just talking about the Malta video.

But with that we know that the video is various cuts from different scenes. Would you consider that processed? If they did not use a shot where the gimbal messed up and showed a leg would that still be unprocessed?

Once again I am not arguing with you. I just wont be using 3DR promotional videos as a representation of the final product.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
Steve you are 100% correct on the 3DR Customer Satisfaction Guarantee. Vu, nor any other official 3DR source has ever stated you get 30 days from the day the gimbal is released
Wrong. I raised this with Vu at the time (it's his team that make the call on RMAs and refunds, at least for direct purchases), and he posted the extension on the FB Solo Group.

30 day.jpg

OK fair enough. I was just talking about the Malta video.

But with that we know that the video is various cuts from different scenes. Would you consider that processed? If they did not use a shot where the gimbal messed up and showed a leg would that still be unprocessed?

Once again I am not arguing with you. I just wont be using 3DR promotional videos as a representation of the final product.
If they dropped a shot due to the legs being in, I'd still consider that processed. There's no benefit from 3DR doing so, if the legs were in shot in all modes, the Solo would be pointless for aerial video and 3DR would just get all the Solos returned.

I get what you're saying we'd all love to see some real user videos as that's the proof in the pudding.

Reactions: rrmccabe
Here is my thoughts about 3DR, returns,etc.

I have had my issues with them and voiced most of them here. All of them stem from simple growing pains that they are going through.

However, they are a company that does not seem to get hung up on policy and will do the right thing on a case by case basis.

I have ZERO concerns with them being fair when it comes to money back guarantee, etc.

Random Thoughts....

While I am a bit bored, awaiting the release of the Gimbal, I started to work on setting up my Windows based Eclipse IDE to make some tweaks to the Solo's Source code. (of course, only after the 30-Day Evaluation Period has expired.. :rolleyes: )

While reading through the ArduPilot-Solo GPS module code, (AP_GPS_UBLOX.cpp), I noticed that there is currently no difference in the way it handles NEO-7 and NEO-M8. (see below).

For one thing, I plan on making some tweaks here to allow for exploiting the differences between the two.
I'm really interested in the M8N's ability to use multiple sources for SATs.
The M8N can use three sources - GPS, GLONASS and BeiDou - all at the same time.
The 7N can only use one-at-a-time.
(both will add Galileo capabilities as a choice, when made available)

Another thing is from what I've read to date, the M8N is much better at "Indoor GPS" (factory flying), something I have a lot of interest in using the Solo for.

One of my other thoughts is to allow for interference detection if the active antenna has a lower clean signal due to excessive localized noise and allow for the Solo to switch over to a less susceptible passive patch then switch back to active when the noise is gone. (like flying near high noise generating sources, i.e. Wireless Transmitters or H.V. Powerlines)
The circuity for doing this is outlined here, on pages 23 and 24.
http://www.u-blox.com/images/downloads/Product_Docs/GPS_Antennas_ApplicationNote(GPS-X-08014).pdf

Here's a some of the code from audupilot-solo's AP_GPS_UBLOX.cpp

#if UBLOX_VERSION_AUTODETECTION
case MSG_NAV_SVINFO:
{
Debug("MSG_NAV_SVINFO\n");
static const uint8_t HardwareGenerationMask = 0x07;
uint8_t hardware_generation = _buffer.svinfo_header.globalFlags & HardwareGenerationMask;
switch (hardware_generation) {
case UBLOX_5:
case UBLOX_6:
/*speed already configured */;
break;
case UBLOX_7:
case UBLOX_M8:

port->begin(4000000U);
Debug("Changed speed to 5Mhzfor SPI-driven UBlox\n");
break;
default:
hal.console->printf("Wrong Ublox' Hardware Version%u\n", hardware_generation);
break;
};
/* We don't need that anymore */
_configure_message_rate(CLASS_NAV, MSG_NAV_SVINFO, 0);
break;
}
#endif

My Interesting Video of the week:
Another one comparing a NEO-7N to a NEO-M8N in a Loiter/Stability Test
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
(At 0:49 in, that 7N looked to have a mind of it's own...)

Last edited:
Reactions: BVIsolo
View attachment 401 If you've bought from 3DR direct, you definitely have cover 30 days after the gimbal, as it's been stated by Vu, 3DR director of support (attached).

The SoloLink communicates via Mavlink with the gimbal and it's programmed to keep the legs out of shot. This is confirmed from 3DR staff that have done video with the gimbal. In full 4K wide you can get legs in, in medium modes or using the 5.4mm lens or similar you won't. Having said that in high wind even the DJI Inspire gets props and legs in.

The videos including the one released yesterday from Malta show all the smart shots work without legs in shot.
Good to know!! It appears as if the camera is a little more forward mounted in the gimbal than in the static mount.

Cool, one of my favorite spots. Where are you staying?
We have a house near Georgetown in the West End on seven mile. We are getting ready to leave this am for the BVI's for the final week of our vacation. I have a good friend who is a major VC investor with 3DR who wants to discuss their issues so a semi-work :confused: vacation for me this last week.

Reactions: BVIsolo
We have a house near Georgetown in the West End on seven mile. We are getting ready to leave this am for the BVI's for the final week of our vacation. I have a good friend who is a major VC investor with 3DR who wants to discuss their issues so a semi-work :confused: vacation for me this last week.

Nice. We rent a place at the Turtle Nest Inn in Bodden Town when we are down there. I love the diving there.

Safe travels. You're coming to my home islands :) I'm on Tortola.

u-blox has released firmware 3.01 for the M8N.
It provides many new features.
https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/UBX_M8_301_SPG.911f2b77b649eb90f4be14ce56717b49.bin
Beware, some of the M8N modules out there are fake/counterfeit. Usually you can tell when you go to update the firmware and get an "Unsupported flash" message from u-center. The fake/counterfeit modules usually have 512K flash, which is slower than the parts supplied by u-blox, as well as being smaller (512K vs 2M).

Attachments

• Fake_M8N.jpg
    Fake_M8N.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 36
Does anyone know what kind of plug 3dr uses to connect the stock gps unit? Looks like a jst-hx on the m8n but not on the solo. Id like to make a harness instead of slicing the factory one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Stimmy
Much to my surprise, the ClickMate connectors used for the GPS cable are cheap and readily available from DigiKey.
WM2271-ND for the 6 position plug shell. $.26US/1
WM2272CT-ND for the pins. $2.84US/100
With that said, you have to have good technician skills to hand crimp the pins to the wires.
Putting together several cables ALMOST makes the $400.00US crimper worth the price.

Attachments

• ClickMate.jpg
    ClickMate.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 37
Yes there was someone on the board with all of the various crimpers and ClickMate/Molex housings who was making wire/connectors for people. Sadly he's no longer here. It was a great service I missed out on :(

Are the pins very difficult to install without a crimper? Could they just be soldered? I used to work with a wide array of molex connectors back in my electronics days and if you needed to, you could hand crimp them. Not as good as the crimping tool but you could do it. But those wires/moles housings were a lot bigger than these connectors, so thought I'd ask :)

Yes, they can be hand crimped using small needle nose pliers. I also solder as well.
You must crimp or do something with the "crimp pieces" on the pin, or the pin won't fit in the housing.
It might be possible to cut off the "crimp pieces" and just solder, but I have not done this.
My eyes aren't as good as they used to be so I use a stereo zoom microscope. Those connector pins are
far smaller than anything I've used since MicroDot connectors.

Reactions: PdxSteve
I imagine you're referring to the 2 tabs at the wire side of the pin that wrap around and grip the insulation of the wire (when crimped) that prevents the pin from being inserted into the housing?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela