Solo with gimbal in 4k 30fps wide view test one

Reaction score
First flight with the 3DR Solo gimbal I wanted to address the false claims that with the GoPro at 4k wide view you could see the legs of the quad copter obviously you can't, also at full speed in fly mode with the camera gimbal at a 90 degree angle you could see the props this is due to Solo flying against the wind and it was a little windy on this particular flight. In this video no artificial stabilisation software was used this is raw video uploaded from the GoPro Hero 4 Black Edition. I have to say I'm very pleased with the gimbal and it's performance. I know a lot of people had issues with it, but I'm happy to report I haven't had anything besides a Message stating GoPro needs an update in the Solo app in which I then easily and quickly fixed with a restart to the Solo. Also please note that the props are unbalanced & never have been cheers and fly safe. =]

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thats correct. I accidentally left my GoPro 4 Silver in Wide view and I don't see the legs anymore after installing the gimbal.

Thats correct. I accidentally left my GoPro 4 Silver in Wide view and I don't see the legs anymore after installing the gimbal.
Yes sir I'm personally very pleased with the gimbal it work right off the box for me I love it. :)

First flight with the 3DR Solo gimbal I wanted to address the false claims that with the GoPro at 4k wide view you could see the legs of the quad copter obviously you can't, also at full speed in fly mode with the camera gimbal at a 90 degree angle you could see the props this is due to Solo flying against the wind and it was a little windy on this particular flight. In this video no artificial stabilisation software was used this is raw video uploaded from the GoPro Hero 4 Black Edition. I have to say I'm very pleased with the gimbal and it's performance. I know a lot of people had issues with it, but I'm happy to report I haven't had anything besides a Message stating GoPro needs an update in the Solo app in which I then easily and quickly fixed with a restart to the Solo. Also please note that the props are unbalanced & never have been cheers and fly safe. =]

What a difference a gimbal makes...

Sent from the 4th dimension using my Nexus 6
Mines will be in Wednesday[emoji3]

What a difference a gimbal makes...

Mines will be in Wednesday[emoji3]
Huge difference I'm thinking about putting up a comparison video on my YouTube channel but then again we've all been there lol

Actually that isn't a problem the only reason you see my props is because I had the camera gimbal at a 90 degree angle flying against the wind full speed so naturally yes you could see the props if you don't fly as aggressively at the same angle you won't have that issue personally I think the solo handles itself rather good in windy situations.

Actually that isn't a problem the only reason you see my props is because I had the camera gimbal at a 90 degree angle flying against the wind full speed so naturally yes you could see the props if you don't fly as aggressively at the same angle you won't have that issue personally I think the solo handles itself rather good in windy situations.
It handle's the wind better then a p3p . I love it! I also have the hero4 blk. Got 3 batteries, just waiting for my gimbal to fill this puzzle. Almost 3 months.

Reactions: Projeffrey11
It handle's this win better then a p3p . I love it! I also have the hero4 blk. Got 3 batteries, just waiting for my gimbal to fill this puzzle. Almost 3 months.

Well I can't say that it does handle better than a Phantom because I've never flown or seen or own one, but I will 100% agree with you it handles itself very well in the wind. I hope when you get your camera gimbal you have the same experience I've had. :)

Reactions: SteveReno
Also balanced all props, but from what I see, I may have just wasted time & money.

I thought about investing money to balance my props but honestly it seems expensive and only probably does little to nothing in terms of stabilization I just find using artificial sterilization software literally saves you time and money. But I don't know still in the grey about prop-balancing.

I thought about investing money to balance my props but honestly it seems expensive and only probably does little to nothing in terms of stabilization I just find using artificial sterilization software literally saves you time and money. But I don't know still in the grey about prop-balancing.
From balancing my props, it sounds different, more uniform. Vibration test do show less overall vibrations. But I think from your video & others, the gimbal takes care of vibrations well. As soon as I get my gimbal I can compare.

From balancing my props, it sounds different, more uniform. Vibration test do show less overall vibrations. But I think from your video & others, the gimbal takes care of vibrations well. As soon as I get my gimbal I can compare.

I am aware of the benefits of balancing props from less vibration to extending the quad motors lifespan etc. Although appealing very expensive at the same time but yes do share your findings although my solo in particular performs very well with the camera gimbal I still see little tiny micro stutters but nothing artificial stabilisation software can't fix. :)

hello does your protune on or off?

Balancing does help a lot. There are two tricks to do prop and motor balance at once and cheap.

Vibration meter app , secure the solo on a half inch plywood with an elastic cord . Star one motor at the time with MP same as if you were balancing without prop. Do the balancing each motor and mark each prop to identify the corresponding motor. The tape can be attached to the prop or the armature. Repeat on each motor.

2nd for the nerds.

.Secure solo same as above, and using a laser pen or laser light, or pointing device. A cheap single surface mirror from Edmund Scientific , or from e bay such as the ones used in range finders.( a 1inch sq regular mirror, but you get two patters) Bounce the laser light into the small mirror attached to the arm you are working on in a manner that reflects on the a wall , start the motor with MP . The pattern reflected on the wall is the vibration , do the balancing and reduce the pattern to as small a pattern as possible by moving the tape on the motor armature or the prop same as with a vibration meter

Each prop has to go on its corresponding motor .

Balance helps and it if fun to do .

Guy

Reactions: Projeffrey11
Like Henry Dr where's my leg extenders where are my leg extenders
Balancing does help a lot. There are two tricks to do prop and motor balance at once and cheap.

Vibration meter app , secure the solo on a half inch plywood with an elastic cord . Star one motor at the time with MP same as if you were balancing without prop. Do the balancing each motor and mark each prop to identify the corresponding motor. The tape can be attached to the prop or the armature. Repeat on each motor.

2nd for the nerds.

.Secure solo same as above, and using a laser pen or laser light, or pointing device. A cheap single surface mirror from Edmund Scientific , or from e bay such as the ones used in range finders.( a 1inch sq regular mirror, but you get two patters) Bounce the laser light into the small mirror attached to the arm you are working on in a manner that reflects on the a wall , start the motor with MP . The pattern reflected on the wall is the vibration , do the balancing and reduce the pattern to as small a pattern as possible by moving the tape on the motor armature or the prop same as with a vibration meter

Each prop has to go on its corresponding motor .

Balance helps and it if fun to do .

Guy
Great post you should consider making a YouTube video like a tutorial. :)

No legs but plenty of Props in view. Nice try.

No legs but plenty of Props in view. Nice try.
Please read the description of the video, the only reason you see the props is because the Solo was flying against the wind at full throttle with the camera gimbal at a 90 degree angle, if you were to do this on a day with no wind you would not see the props and if you were to tilt the camera lower than 90 degrees you wouldn't see the props either but this was just a test nothing else.

Please read the description of the video, the only reason you see the props is because the Solo was flying against the wind at full throttle with the camera gimbal at a 90 degree angle, if you were to do this on a day with no wind you would not see the props and if you were to tilt the camera lower than 90 degrees you wouldn't see the props either but this was just a test nothing else.
If that's true why didn't you tilt the cam down a few degrees?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc