Solo Wi Fi Upgrade - Now what

Reaction score
Hi All,

I put the wi fi card upgrade in Solo and the Controller. I also put in the new HDMI lead and the new GPS Board.

Powering up I hear the chimes, the gimbal lights up and steadies the camera - BUT there's no WiFi signal coming from Solo......

Do I need to reset Solo so it learns the new WiFi Card is there???

Best

Tim

You will absolutely need to redo the pairing process. Both devices have different MAC addresses now, so neither one of them knows the other exists. Pairing the Controller | 3D Robotics - Drone & UAV Technology

You MIGHT need to do a factory reset. I don't remember if it loses the Access Point names and passwords when you do this. If you try the pairing process twice and it still doesn't work, then do a factory reset of both the controller and the solo. Then the pairing process again.
Factory Reset | 3D Robotics - Drone & UAV Technology

Reactions: 3DRnoob
You will absolutely need to redo the pairing process. Both devices have different MAC addresses now, so neither one of them knows the other exists. Pairing the Controller | 3D Robotics - Drone & UAV Technology

You MIGHT need to do a factory reset. I don't remember if it loses the Access Point names and passwords when you do this. If you try the pairing process twice and it still doesn't work, then do a factory reset of both the controller and the solo. Then the pairing process again.
Factory Reset | 3D Robotics - Drone & UAV Technology

Thanks P2P There is no wifi coming from solo. It doesnt show up when i look on my phones wifi list. I was careful in installing and the card really can only go back in the same way....

Reset me thinks and observe the indicator lights.

OK. First things first, remove the controller battery and put it back in. Then do the full factory reset and repairing procedure. Chances are it will come back to life. If not, either it's installed wrong or defective.

Should be no need to do a full factory reset. When both cards are working properly, the controller will say new solo detected and start the pairing process. I've done the card upgrades (using MicroTik) on both of my solo's with no problems or reset required.

If you're not seeing any wifi, then check the controller (it is acting as the access point, not the solo), so thats most likely where your problem is.

Well I have to say this the Bird I'm sure 3DR wished they'd released!!!

Quick Start up, SUPER Smooth Video with the Props balanced/gimbal weighted properly, Video signal solid, Solo Link range awesome!!

What kind of range are you experiencing and where are are you flying? City or heavily saturated wifi areas?

Reactions: Mr GruntHunter
I upgrade the wifi antennas and I can fly 6000ft before I start loosing video signal

On the Solo Owners FB page, I read that you have to do a bit of "hackery" regarding Solo updates if using 3rd party WiFi adapters. There weren't any other comments regarding this on there, so does anyone on here know if that is true?
I am fine physically installing the upgrade units, but don't have any coding skills whatsoever, and don't want to run into programming / updating issues in the future. If the info I read was incorrect, I will install the upgrades asap. Thanks!

I just replaced (only) my controller wifi card with the Microtik (the one shown in the video above) and I didn't have to re-pair the controller with the Solo. I wasn't expecting that. The drone connects properly and everything works. Again, I ONLY changed the controller card, NOT the Solo card. Does this sound correct?

Reactions: AJdaBombsauce
The solo card will further enhance your range experience, based on what I saw and others on the forum, however if it does what you want and need it to, let it be. The Solo job is just a bit more work and a bit fidgety (just because of the small space involved, but you just need to take your time getting the main board out while being conscious of the accessory port ribbon cable. I removed the port from the inside just to be safe.

Reactions: keoniahlo
On the Solo Owners FB page, I read that you have to do a bit of "hackery" regarding Solo updates if using 3rd party WiFi adapters. There weren't any other comments regarding this on there, so does anyone on here know if that is true?
I am fine physically installing the upgrade units, but don't have any coding skills whatsoever, and don't want to run into programming / updating issues in the future. If the info I read was incorrect, I will install the upgrades asap. Thanks!
I agree that getting the settings boosted to receive the full 800 watts seemed to just be dropped. I have a Linux guru that I am going to have take a look at the code to see what can be done. We should be able to take an image of the original if its contained on the SD card, however I don't have any way of measuring the output, at least not on the top of my head without specialized equipment.

There is no coding changes needed. A long time ago, there was a firmware limitation. That doesn't exist anymore.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela