Solo Shakes after Gimbal Installation & FW Upgrade

Reaction score
After installing the gimbal and updating the controller FW, my Solo now shakes in flight (Oscillation). I calibrated the solo and it did not help. Inspected the gimbal cable routing and it looks fine. It seems like the controller gains are set too high as it has a fast oscillation in flight. I did balance my props. I sent my logs to 3DR but was curios if anyone else had issues after upgrading to the latest FW.

After installing the gimbal and updating the controller FW, my Solo now shakes in flight (Oscillation). I calibrated the solo and it did not help. Inspected the gimbal cable routing and it looks fine. It seems like the controller gains are set too high as it has a fast oscillation in flight. I did balance my props. I sent my logs to 3DR but was curios if anyone else had issues after upgrading to the latest FW.

Haven't heard that one before- maybe somebody who has will post up.
Let us know what 3DR says. :cool:

Update: I am having the same issue as others with the gimbal flop. I have noticed that the gimbal has significant vibration when in flight (pendulum like shake). I am not sure if the shaky behavior is coming from the gimbal or the bird itself. I made sure all cable routing was correct and even used zip ties to hold the cables away from gimbal as was suggested by technical support (link below). Sent them logs and video as the video tends to be shaky and flops worse during yaw turns for me. They are now suggesting a new gimbal but wanted me to wait for the new update this coming week.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Is your props balanced..
Del,
Yes I balanced them and even tried a different set of 4 making sure I did not have a bent prop. I will send my latest video to 3DR. I am wondering if I don't have a bad motor.

Del,
Yes I balanced them and even tried a different set of 4 making sure I did not have a bent prop. I will send my latest video to 3DR. I am wondering if I don't have a bad motor.
That's a good possibility .. Process of elimination !
That vibration has to be coming from somewhere ..

Del,
Thanks and I will mention this to Tech Support when they get back to me. I added a link to the shaky video and gimbal flop.

No not yet. I RMAd the gimbal back. I was going to fly the solo this weekend without the gimbal to see if it changes the flight behavior. I suppose if the gimbal is shaking that could be the source.

No not yet. I RMAd the gimbal back. I was going to fly the solo this weekend without the gimbal to see if it changes the flight behavior. I suppose if the gimbal is shaking that could be the source.
Ok, thanks- hope they expedite this for you.

This is exactly what my Solo is doing. However I don't think it's the gimbal. Seems to me the pulsing / oscillating would be motor related? Why do I want to go through the hassle of RMAing a gimbal when the craft is the problem? Those are my questions and thoughts.

The gimbal works until the craft starts this oscillation and then the gimbal flops. Based on the possibility of a bad motor my Solo is grounded until I get the urge to deal with 3dr. I'll wait and see how the gimbal RMA affects those on this thread.

I'm having the same vibration after the update but haven't had it flop yet. I looked at some of my video prior to the update and it seems much smoother. it seems like the update did he opposite to my gimbal than what everyone else is reporting.

Still waiting on my RMA gimbal to come back but I did fly without the gimbal. Still a slight vibration on yaw turns or acceleration. It would probably be more pronounced with the gimbal as the non gimbal mount is stiffer. I wish I would've paid more attention, but I do not remember the vibration prior to upgrading the FW. If the flop/vibration are still an issue after the new gimbal, I might play (with caution) the PID settings. Then maybe a new motor to use for a process of elimination.

Last edited:
Here's a sample of my footage that started shaking a lot after the update.

I didn't see any shaking- did I miss it?
Wow really? I didn't think I was being overly picky. What did you watch it on? When the city is in frame it really jumps and jitters. Prior to the update I had micro vibrations, but nothing like it is now. I have seen other raw posts that are extremely smooth. I modded the cables a bit last night, so I will try again, but like I said... I never noticed it prior to the update.

@Del @RotoFan @JohnSal , can I get your guys opinions?

From a phone it is admittedly harder to spot. On my MacBook Pro its pretty evident.

I'm watching on an iPad mini 3. I see a little movement at about 1:00 or so. Is that what you're talking about?
I would never have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it.

Hovering & very slow speed flying seems to be where I tend to see some movement but it goes away when flying about 10 MPH.

Do some lower altitude flying with something closer to look at and see how that looks.

OK, watched on a 21" monitor and can see what you're talking about. Don't have a solution though.:(

I must have missed it also, perhaps cut down the video to just the part of problem. Cut/lower sound of props. Hurts my ears lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc