Solo Props: APC, MA & Stock. Battle For Power..

Reaction score
Went out and tested 3 different props yesterday. Simple test of a 2 minute hover at 9' for each set back to back. Then came back and read the wattage required to hover. Why Wattage? Wattage is power in electric motors and with a larger # it is easier to see small variances. While these specific readings are with the 800kv T-motors, the actual #s will vary from stock motors, but the differences in the props will be the same.

First up, the props I use regularly. The 11x4.5 APC averaged 17a wattage; 254-264 watts.
ws2ugqqh9el4hDtKSh2fUZVbXEfpzcseoNimJ668CLeLlD5gtAaYQR0ajAA3lS1kkVwR5vWEDZFQpoaN6MSxnqHZ6vdELuHn2LMrDPsckTWW7ZKhQcPhB8nlU89r-8q_wnp10jXnLAgvsdoCIkS6wb5tkrUjuhO31aJukF1h5P77KTr5apiHz55x05M_Km5AscBiiCa9FomD94E_YfsPWofOVHgVQZ3ty2OtHeOYCOYKP0le5QL8DfHRAlF5AuMGZGmOY6G5rktNa_5Q-dJSOm-Q0f1qOeJ0FfFRD8a4Fnxj8KGNvuxY6ALDmhYidmlJgH2QmLrDMQNfJmSvjknDpk9X7UbgLhFOgYqSqoBQSCGfvowWIJtoGjnUJffPqiYwYm_6xI0HrhKMgsSYdYVpXCD0FWDGJJNVV7eGvLj-arAceIM6VYpVTEWz1TjkD1PNzArfrcKvsN1zpszyHoJ-q79mGdyfVqZ8Hf-AxmRpItovsjnjKarBWZponrupi2qQRgAc8q9uDbOj1Bi0cvQ1XBUSi6Oii-ATn3uxDvSgxTOochgSmhGd9NklgwbyPeYWC3ZVaEuhlqEIENm3EyvMw2acrvTKJCtMmfSHzsuzp8RS_zON1dsr=w1814-h805-no

Here are the results for the stock Solo props: 18a wattage; 265-280 watts
PJ5kxfLFlwBaFsffxcF3cf3QZw3GquYCszn2JY-XivBCk7NYlrV39LxPJyo7HBHTUJFJ9lcEZl9SPOiglVyyd2FbVMr5lORdTKl67Uv-qgaKrt5zu-Qh1Qh3krCBisr9G9fuNzanHmhBmIjIfbiKpNTICMbt1IfksKgpQ1QcnkGWes8gDgHjQUq66Sps-pYTqAwm3klHIOYcBaN51rjCdYF0TXoq1eda0mbbhJ-mG-4QblByHMYWJl1fLwkiH0KlO8NIVgAliZhppnbs0q9-zrmbRECiPmBIkAqSs_Jh13DPPmp7sVL6Z-DVZcyUe6b54mX3N2proz1F5hUdFK3fs12ROiRMo2lIHynlHxmkezlFm533wjh3w609X5kkAXfjR3hQcl9fwbnA_-bohAqbQujK5Dz1Zkn4pln0wM5SjkWHntHJuAiCttQe6rj_Amf5lkxh2wL1S9odyPZmdFWxfo32nJJFro2lz2rHTgVgkiJMMqj2roEKEqxL8xlx-KfOPFmD4BG1VkuMAPVyOcUr1d3LP2JJgWoJLTyGOAC6rf3-Rlf2OxRXEWFXuTlZhsN5AQRQXQbrcq6HDfGLBJJZfP2JhRFk0gjP68iLezgTDyMwbi33S8HA=w1844-h839-no

And finally, the winner in today's roundup the Master Airscrew 10x4.5 17a but just 242-258 watts..
WnCvLVDWjOHitNoFZTyitnmWkASjaZJNYlEcaPN1aolS7n12hSfi9dBGvcGtffp9kuolNnhR7vkiy8bsqrEvkO7oaBv26rNOlpM2cAoM2I14H96Bj65p1ySCy2RcTEpoN9Jnuz3ZLnpgkWhQobPiNlfofM1FuMRgxQBtEshds8DGffTfVf685asr-5izEcFSl-ErHALKQtHW4Y3ONlsABpEe1Gn8RYrL-2dD9x99afmF0sV9_ZisAP0JdjNsa_w-4HrpoXOpzosdN-hU9OQWYO0Twbbvvo8vMMDaL7YINtYlDOQdxIQaQtrlE-p7bNufz8TyALwKxA3n_KRiqiZwfo2xA1ngG-VCiylyI3Xc5oOw-2EXW1mHknBo--uryhE6Sr18LKJ6531GgC76o1Zj9rhu6eBSevWQiElGWr9JYJcDvnhl92MNK4nxdE5lzHEBgvzgij0-7wN9iziOtPCgVkKsUEon24D_osyrVn4y_JoL3w3vSM53lbK5aXnfgU69KllzCH_0XvBFw1WWU69NEuBi8yPsSD3vafZRyP_VSPFdUMfesvVHT1sbx3S5KS-ifff3qpta0i4aNcEP52mc4ENWQ67opQAQQQpHyGX3gLBEh83l=w1805-h752-no

Over the length of 1 battery, there would be small differences in flight time. But not sure it could really be measured with a stop watch given the variances of determining start/stop voltages. But this at least tells you where the 3 come in and you can take it from there..

Thanks for the info Jubalr,
I just installed a set of Master Airscrews and they are a bit quieter and look bad-ass! One thing though do not use them with the PolarPro prop guards as the props will hit the guards, they sit a bit lower at the tips.

Last edited:
Thanks for the test, Jubalr. I am awaiting arrival of my Master Airscrews. I have only used the stock props up till now, and am on the same set that came with Solo #1 back in the preorder days. I like the fact that the MA's are somewhat quieter, and like their looks as well.

Thanks for doing the thing I said I was going to do @Jubalr. That's a good representation. As I pre-tested earlier in the week, I thought the savings would be negligible, and indeed I was confirmed this. There's still savings, but it would be difficult to know how much. Good work.

Jubalr,

I just conducted a similar study between the stock 3DR props and my new Master Airscrew props. 10' hover, connected to Mission Planner.
Under the "Quick tab" on the flight screen are 6 data fields you can set to show the data live. I selected Watts (only true indication of power used).
The Solo I was flying had no gimbal or camera installed, so pretty lightweight.
MA Props - power used varied between 200 and 210 watts (about 205 watts average)
Stock 3DR props - power used was about 203-212 watts, or about 207 watts average.

I saw about a 1% improvement in hover performance with the MA props (which matches up with your results pretty well).
Probably not worth the additional cost right now, but MA props are certainly a good replacement once the 3DR props are all gone.
Oh, I did note that the prop nuts used on the MA props don't screw on quite as easily as stock (feels like the thread pitch/profile is slightly off). Not sure if this will be an issue in the future if installing and removing props frequently.

Went out and tested 3 different props yesterday. Simple test of a 2 minute hover at 9' for each set back to back. Then came back and read the wattage required to hover. Why Wattage? Wattage is power in electric motors and with a larger # it is easier to see small variances. While these specific readings are with the 800kv T-motors, the actual #s will vary from stock motors, but the differences in the props will be the same.

First up, the props I use regularly. The 11x4.5 APC averaged 17a wattage; 254-264 watts.
ws2ugqqh9el4hDtKSh2fUZVbXEfpzcseoNimJ668CLeLlD5gtAaYQR0ajAA3lS1kkVwR5vWEDZFQpoaN6MSxnqHZ6vdELuHn2LMrDPsckTWW7ZKhQcPhB8nlU89r-8q_wnp10jXnLAgvsdoCIkS6wb5tkrUjuhO31aJukF1h5P77KTr5apiHz55x05M_Km5AscBiiCa9FomD94E_YfsPWofOVHgVQZ3ty2OtHeOYCOYKP0le5QL8DfHRAlF5AuMGZGmOY6G5rktNa_5Q-dJSOm-Q0f1qOeJ0FfFRD8a4Fnxj8KGNvuxY6ALDmhYidmlJgH2QmLrDMQNfJmSvjknDpk9X7UbgLhFOgYqSqoBQSCGfvowWIJtoGjnUJffPqiYwYm_6xI0HrhKMgsSYdYVpXCD0FWDGJJNVV7eGvLj-arAceIM6VYpVTEWz1TjkD1PNzArfrcKvsN1zpszyHoJ-q79mGdyfVqZ8Hf-AxmRpItovsjnjKarBWZponrupi2qQRgAc8q9uDbOj1Bi0cvQ1XBUSi6Oii-ATn3uxDvSgxTOochgSmhGd9NklgwbyPeYWC3ZVaEuhlqEIENm3EyvMw2acrvTKJCtMmfSHzsuzp8RS_zON1dsr=w1814-h805-no

Here are the results for the stock Solo props: 18a wattage; 265-280 watts
PJ5kxfLFlwBaFsffxcF3cf3QZw3GquYCszn2JY-XivBCk7NYlrV39LxPJyo7HBHTUJFJ9lcEZl9SPOiglVyyd2FbVMr5lORdTKl67Uv-qgaKrt5zu-Qh1Qh3krCBisr9G9fuNzanHmhBmIjIfbiKpNTICMbt1IfksKgpQ1QcnkGWes8gDgHjQUq66Sps-pYTqAwm3klHIOYcBaN51rjCdYF0TXoq1eda0mbbhJ-mG-4QblByHMYWJl1fLwkiH0KlO8NIVgAliZhppnbs0q9-zrmbRECiPmBIkAqSs_Jh13DPPmp7sVL6Z-DVZcyUe6b54mX3N2proz1F5hUdFK3fs12ROiRMo2lIHynlHxmkezlFm533wjh3w609X5kkAXfjR3hQcl9fwbnA_-bohAqbQujK5Dz1Zkn4pln0wM5SjkWHntHJuAiCttQe6rj_Amf5lkxh2wL1S9odyPZmdFWxfo32nJJFro2lz2rHTgVgkiJMMqj2roEKEqxL8xlx-KfOPFmD4BG1VkuMAPVyOcUr1d3LP2JJgWoJLTyGOAC6rf3-Rlf2OxRXEWFXuTlZhsN5AQRQXQbrcq6HDfGLBJJZfP2JhRFk0gjP68iLezgTDyMwbi33S8HA=w1844-h839-no

And finally, the winner in today's roundup the Master Airscrew 10x4.5 17a but just 242-258 watts..
WnCvLVDWjOHitNoFZTyitnmWkASjaZJNYlEcaPN1aolS7n12hSfi9dBGvcGtffp9kuolNnhR7vkiy8bsqrEvkO7oaBv26rNOlpM2cAoM2I14H96Bj65p1ySCy2RcTEpoN9Jnuz3ZLnpgkWhQobPiNlfofM1FuMRgxQBtEshds8DGffTfVf685asr-5izEcFSl-ErHALKQtHW4Y3ONlsABpEe1Gn8RYrL-2dD9x99afmF0sV9_ZisAP0JdjNsa_w-4HrpoXOpzosdN-hU9OQWYO0Twbbvvo8vMMDaL7YINtYlDOQdxIQaQtrlE-p7bNufz8TyALwKxA3n_KRiqiZwfo2xA1ngG-VCiylyI3Xc5oOw-2EXW1mHknBo--uryhE6Sr18LKJ6531GgC76o1Zj9rhu6eBSevWQiElGWr9JYJcDvnhl92MNK4nxdE5lzHEBgvzgij0-7wN9iziOtPCgVkKsUEon24D_osyrVn4y_JoL3w3vSM53lbK5aXnfgU69KllzCH_0XvBFw1WWU69NEuBi8yPsSD3vafZRyP_VSPFdUMfesvVHT1sbx3S5KS-ifff3qpta0i4aNcEP52mc4ENWQ67opQAQQQpHyGX3gLBEh83l=w1805-h752-no

Over the length of 1 battery, there would be small differences in flight time. But not sure it could really be measured with a stop watch given the variances of determining start/stop voltages. But this at least tells you where the 3 come in and you can take it from there..

I would like to see this test done with a very sensitive laser thermometer to see the temperature variances of the motors. As the more current that is used the more heat will be generated
It would make a difference in the longevity of the motors

Jubalr,

I just conducted a similar study between the stock 3DR props and my new Master Airscrew props. 10' hover, connected to Mission Planner.
Under the "Quick tab" on the flight screen are 6 data fields you can set to show the data live. I selected Watts (only true indication of power used).
MA Props - power used varied between 200 and 210 watts (about 205 watts average)
Stock 3DR props - power used was about 203-212 watts, or about 207 watts average.

I saw about a 1% improvement in hover performance with the MA props (which matches up with your results pretty well).
Probably not worth the additional cost right now, but MA props are certainly a good replacement once the 3DR props are all gone.
Oh, I did note that the prop nuts used on the MA props don't screw on quite as easily as stock (feels like the thread pitch/profile is slightly off). Not sure if this will be an issue in the future if installing and removing props frequently.

What makes the props worth the price increase is their durability. The stock props would disintegrate on a flipover. I hardly had a scuff on any of the MA props. They're sturdy and as said once the current stock of OEM props is gone, the MAs are suitable replacements.

Reactions: maxim129b
Price increase on master airscrew?

I have seen 3dr solo props on amazon for 29.99 for two props, 1 black and 1 silver
The masterairscrew props are 17.95 for a full set of four. If you by 3 sets you get free shipping.

Reactions: Eab210
Jubalr,

Yeas, those numbers certainly seem about given the weight/power requirements of adding the gimbal and GP.

I would like to see this test done with a very sensitive laser thermometer to see the temperature variances of the motors. As the more current that is used the more heat will be generated
It would make a difference in the longevity of the motors
I don't think we are talking about a difference that would have an effect on longevity of an electric motor running within spec. Remember, 3DR hovered a Solo for 45 days non stop on stock motors and props. I don't think 10-20 watts is going to mean anything.

Price increase on master airscrew?

I have seen 3dr solo props on amazon for 29.99 for two props, 1 black and 1 silver
The masterairscrew props are 17.95 for a full set of four. If you by 3 sets you get free shipping.

Actually I bought two sets and got the free shipping. But you get my point. At their lowest, you could get stock props for 5 bucks a pair.

What makes the props worth the price increase is their durability. The stock props would disintegrate on a flipover. I hardly had a scuff on any of the MA props. They're sturdy and as said once the current stock of OEM props is gone, the MAs are suitable replacements.

Oh good to know. I only have one set of MA props and about 12 sets of 4 OEM props.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for those #s Jubair!

I just got a set of the MA props. in the mail yesterday. I only ordered the one set as I was skeptical of the "quieter" claim. It is nice to be wrong: they are indeed noticeably quieter. I am impressed with my first flight, will likely order another couple of sets.

Reactions: Jameson
Thanks for those #s Jubair!

I just got a set of the MA props. in the mail yesterday. I only ordered the one set as I was skeptical of the "quieter" claim. It is nice to be wrong: they are indeed noticeably quieter. I am impressed with my first flight, will likely order another couple of sets.
I was surprised at the difference as well. Putting them on is tricky at first, and I've seen some videos showing people permanently bonding the nut to the hub, but I would worry about putting props out of balance that way.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I was surprised at the difference as well. Putting them on is tricky at first, and I've seen some videos showing people permanently bonding the nut to the hub, but I would worry about putting props out of balance that way.

I on the other hand did just that: took a bit of CA and bonded those nuts in place. Makes putting on the props. that much quicker.

I have not yet balanced the props (tomorrow) but when I do I feel more confident that whatever hub balance I perform won't be affected by the orientation of the nut.

I on the other hand did just that: took a bit of CA and bonded those nuts in place. Makes putting on the props. that much quicker.

I have not yet balanced the props (tomorrow) but when I do I feel more confident that whatever hub balance I perform won't be affected by the orientation of the nut.
Personal preference. I'm getting better at getting them on fairly quickly.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have over 100 flights with the APC 11x4.5 props on the stock motors and they stay cool.

Jubalr the 11" APC and MA are very similar on amperage draw but what about handling? I find the 11" props more stable and work better at high altitude. Have you formed any opinion on the flight chacteristics between these props?

I have over 100 flights with the APC 11x4.5 props on the stock motors and they stay cool.

Jubalr the 11" APC and MA are very similar on amperage draw but what about handling? I find the 11" props more stable and work better at high altitude. Have you formed any opinion on the flight chacteristics between these props?
The MAs are quieter but perform similar to the stock props. For a camera platform I prefer the APC for the same reasons you stated. They are more stable, smoother for filming. If I just want to go out and burn holes in the sky, I would probably put the MAs on.

You guys are killing me. Making me want to buy more propellers that I don't actually need!

MA has a President's Day sale right now also. Use code PRESIDENT at checkout for 10 percent off.

Yes, I bought two more sets.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc