Solo parts help please.

Reaction score
I am new to drones and just got a solo. I put the gopro in and crashed and am real sad about this. It was only maybe a5-10 foot and for the most part the drone looks in good shape. I would like to repair it amd am looking for parts and checked the 3dr site but was unable to find what I think I need. I am looking for the part the propellers screw on to. The metal part on the motor looks good but the part that the propeller actually screws on to is off.

Any help in locating and/or repairing this would make me real happy.

IMG_0673.JPG
Chad B One Two Six, Do you need a silver top or black top? I'll sell you one for 5 bucks shipped in the lower forty eight. PM me if you're interested.
i need one silver and 2 black for the part that goes to this post and then you screw the prop on.

The hub, magnets, shaft, self-tightening prop adaptor... not the coil and bearings. You'll have to reuse your existing cir-clip.

If i understand your problem correctly, your options are:

1. replace the hub $5+ potential cost of circlip?
2. buy a new motor, Sunnyskies 880kv x2216 i believe $25+
3. buy a new motor pod $75ish
4. upgrade all 4 of your motors to T-motors $200+

20170120_201219.jpg

ohhhhhhh, haha. no you just need to remove the aluminum cap. strap wrench and a 10mm wrench will get it off. I flattened the 10mm wrench on a grinder so i could use it while the prop is attached. You obviously wont need to in this case.

I thought you had messed up the self tightening threads, a picture is worth 5 or 6 forum posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichWest
ohhhhhhh, haha. no you just need to remove the aluminum cap. strap wrench and a 10mm wrench will get it off. I flattened the 10mm wrench on a grinder so i could use it while the prop is attached.

I thought you had messed up the self tightening threads, a picture is worth 5 or 6 forum posts.
Ok great! so I assume I just have to clamp down the main Motor part or use a strap wrench and then a normal 10mm wrench for the cap and it should come off same as the diagram on the propeller per color?

Man I dunno if I messed up this thing but if this fixes it I will be soo happy I was so sad when I did this, I learned my lesson to only take off and land in a real wide open space....

Oh and once I get new props on is there anything else you recommend as far as needing to do any kind of recalibration?

The motor is probably fine as it probably kept spinning once it broke free of the prop, but i would test the motors without props on first. Just arm it by holding down fly until the motors spin up, then let it shut off on its own, or hold down pause i believe. (or use mission planner)

It should sound exactly like a banshee in heat; that is the familiar sound of a Solo operating normally. This is why you are advised against flying in ireland as well as in the Himalayas.

Look in the manual and learn the emergency shut off procedure if you have not already done so.

I would not clamp the motor hub or use any tool that could deform it or dent it. i would carefully use a strap wrench (the metal grip of the strap wrench could dent the hub as well).

i would not reuse any of the crashed props.

I would re-calibrate level after a crash.

Last edited:
You should find out if the motor is bad before you start changing parts. If you crashed hard enough to jack up the threads you could have bent the rotor. Listen to what Greek said above.... He has good advice. I'll be listening for the banshees.

I am new to drones and just got a solo. I put the gopro in and crashed and am real sad about this. It was only maybe a5-10 foot and for the most part the drone looks in good shape. I would like to repair it amd am looking for parts and checked the 3dr site but was unable to find what I think I need. I am looking for the part the propellers screw on to. The metal part on the motor looks good but the part that the propeller actually screws on to is off.

Any help in locating and/or repairing this would make me real happy.

Hi ChadB126! BradG47 here! LOL Before you spend your hard earned money on parts do you know for certain the crash really something you did wrong? If Solo just had a mind of its own and went off and crashed, like my two Solos have done once each, you need to create a Support Ticket with 3DR and send them the flight logs. 3DR will replace the drone for you if the logs show you didn't do something wrong. You may need to keep on them but loads of people have had 3DR come through and make things right.

I am new to this drone scene too and I have loads to learn. With my second Solo on the second flight when it was very much in out of the box "beginner mode" it just drifted off and hit the ground when it should have been just hovering in place after the standard take-off procedure. Luckily it did no damage since it landed in the yard. Pedals2Paddles on this forum looked the the logs and called it compass drift. I went through the level calibration and the compass calibration and I have flown it several times since and it seems "OK". Fingers crossed!

My first Solo is in the process of being exchanged by 3DR. It did something similar but it hit pavement and busted one of the motors. I sent the logs to 3DR and they called it a brown-out and they issued an RMA with a FedEx label and I should get a replacement Solo back soon. I hope!

When I get it back I am going to do the two calibrations right away. I am also going to put the much improved GPS in both of them from mRobotics.io. mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N / 3DR SOLO Upgrade I also have the Gimbal ribbon cables to install to help improve video performance. Solo Ultra Thin Micro HDMI Flat Ribbon Cable

This drone stuff is cool!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc