Solo LED Head Light and Tail Light

Reaction score
Just got my Solo head light and tail light set from PolarPro today. I haven't flown with them yet, but indoors, they are real bright, and will undoubtedly help with daytime orientation of the Solo. At night time or dusk, there will be no problem following your Solo. I installed mine in about 5 min. and they look great. Take a look at them at www.polarprofilters.com

I also received a set yesterday, they seem to be bright on the bench, let us see how good on a bright day. I am however disappointed with the wire connections, they could of done a better job beefing them up and including something for the wire management. I'll have to come up with something because I will using the one set on three SOLOs.
I called 3DR to see if I could buy the accessory bay power plug and they had no clue. The tech even said "oh, I didn't even know about the rubber plug cover".
umm...

Reactions: prowler9 and Maddog
I've ordered these too, but I only really wanted a rear LED, so I'll likely modify mine.

I also received a set yesterday, they seem to be bright on the bench, let us see how good on a bright day. I am however disappointed with the wire connections, they could of done a better job beefing them up and including something for the wire management. I'll have to come up with something because I will using the one set on three SOLOs.
I called 3DR to see if I could buy the accessory bay power plug and they had no clue. The tech even said "oh, I didn't even know about the rubber plug cover".
umm...
http://www.mouser.com/Search/m_Prod...24-30R-6ST-N1E/&qs=X2uUhIUKvwL%2bNolBVT8V5w==

I just got two to experiment with.

Ian, I have done every mod you have put on the forum and they ALL have been absolutely brilliant. I just ordered mine and am going to wait and see if you mod yours and, hopefully, will post here. Good luck. I'm eager to see what you come up with.

Please post a picture of your Solo with the lights mounted and not on. They looked rather ugly on the website. I'd like to see what they look like mounted.

Maddog, Great homework finding the source for power plug, although they are back ordered I bought a half dozen cheaply.
I added a drop of hot glue to beef up the connections of the LEDs, still pondering the wire management fix.

Cosber here's the pictures you requested.Solo.front.withLED.jpg Solo.rear.withLED.jpg

Reactions: Maddog
I flew today with them, and they definitely help. The sky was alternating between bright and overcast. In the bright sky, I could see them and tell which way was facing me from about 275-300 ft. In the overcast sky it was a bit further. It wasn't like they were super bright colors from that distance, but it helped me know which way Solo was facing, which is what I wanted. I went outside after sunset, and they really stood out. You will have no problem seeing them at dusk, and they look pretty cool at night. I will keep them on until something better comes along.

Reactions: Maddog and J R
my concern about Solo's battery, we might lost 5 min or more in air time. is it worth??? I believe there have million battery that carry very light in weight. I cherish air time.. like door bell ringer which carry 14 volts weight only a few grams..

Got my leds from pro polar and one off the wire connectons at the plug was broken, send pro polar a email and got no response so i decided to solder it back on myself and put them on my solo, they snap on and seemed like a pretty tight fit.
My first test flight went well and it surely gives you great orientation. My second flight the rear led came off and was hanging in the air, brought it back in asap and was lucky the light and the wires didnt somehow get caught in props. I since have put on and dropped some hot glue to make it doesnt come off again. I like the lights , but be careful to attach securely and use a backup adhesive or ziptie.

Reactions: J R
is it possible to control the existing LEDs.? turn them on and off whilst in flight?

Installed my lights. Easy, was harder getting them out of the box. I like the way they look, seem bright to me, had to turn them off so I could see. Havent flown yet. The loose LED concerns me, will check everything, thanks for the heads up.

Headlight/Taillight, I did the bench voltage check for 2 hours using a 3s5000, not quite the SOLO size 4s5200. There was near 0 voltage draw, my meter is 1/10 of a volt and did not change during the duration, ever. I'm not sure how this will effect SOLO during flight.

Meanwhile I was learning Tower. Tower is simply amazing, ten years ago I was using similar programs of which the GOV paid millions for and here it's a free download.

Attachments

• voltage.check.a.jpg
    voltage.check.a.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
  • voltage.check.b.jpg
    voltage.check.b.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
Reactions: LoKey SOLO and J R

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads