Solo helps film our Hard Clam Survey....with Video

Reaction score
Our hard clam survey of Maryland's coastal bays is finally over. Here is an unofficial compilation of video clips that I filmed over that last 2 years, including some Solo shots. 95% of this was filmed with a GP3+B. I didn't get as much Solo time in as I would have liked due to a tropical storm remnant that hung off the Carolinas for nearly two weeks giving us some very crappy weather.

It was a lot of fun when I did get to fly. I never did manage a boat launch, though I did try. Launching Solo from a pier or marsh and flying one-way over open salt water to film and land on the boat was definitely nerve wracking. You just got to trust the gear. I give this experience a Pucker factor of 9!

Solo did behave though I didn't get any smart shots to work (follow-orbit would have been spectacular). Battery time was a major factor here so I didn't waste too much time with them. Manual mode all the way. A few times on one flight the gimbal decided to tilt ~15 degrees on the horizontal axis and then correct itself after a few minutes..all on its own, weird.

I made a lot of noobie mistakes here (ie; not getting the subject centered, drone shadow in the shot, overexposing a white boat in bright sunlight, hiding from the camera, etc) but I have the vision and determination to get better with each flight. I did use a Polar Pro pl16nd filter for most Solo shots.

We hired a local waterman and used his boat for this survey. His rear deck canopy made a great landing pad.
BTW, best boat name EVER !!! :eek:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

@Flying Oyster - Nice video!! Cool use of underwater and aerial footage.

My daughter and I got the Solo for Xmas and we live in Bethesda MD. Can you give us some tips on where to fly in the area and what it takes to get approval, if necessary ?

Thanks - Nick

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc