Solo Gimbal works great on my desk, but not in the air.

Reaction score
I purchased a gimbal from Best Buy the other day and got around to installing it yesterday.

When I first installed it, seems like was it super off balance, so I came to the internet for help...and found this forum. I am using the HERO 4 Black, so I didn't add any weights.

To try and fix the problem I have opened up the battery tray and routed the cables. I have the HDMI cable running around the outside the compartment not touching anything. The silver disc when I moved the cable around moved away from the edges in the middle of the compartment and was sitting about 1 to 2 mm from the circuit board on the rear of the disc.

Solo and gimbal works good on my desk I even get 8 satellite GPS lock INDOORS, but take-off (go flying) nada no dice, the camera flops to one side. While on my desk the light is green on the back of the gimbal, but in flight it flashed red/green. I am still getting a video feed and can start and stop recording. But the video is useless.

Another issue I have seen is while its on my desk the camera looks like it moves in the 90 degree arc, but when it reaches 90, it will stop shake the controller and then the display 90 on the controller (Like it should) but then the display will jump to 84 and the camera doesn't move.

Not sure what my next move should be, other than wait for the firmware update first, then put in a ticket with 3DR if that doesn't work or return the gimbal and get another one which they won't have anymore until the 14th of Oct.

I purchased a gimbal from Best Buy the other day and got around to installing it yesterday.

When I first installed it, seems like was it super off balance, so I came to the internet for help...and found this forum. I am using the HERO 4 Black, so I didn't add any weights.

To try and fix the problem I have opened up the battery tray and routed the cables. I have the HDMI cable running around the outside the compartment not touching anything. The silver disc when I moved the cable around moved away from the edges in the middle of the compartment and was sitting about 1 to 2 mm from the circuit board on the rear of the disc.

Solo and gimbal works good on my desk I even get 8 satellite GPS lock INDOORS, but take-off (go flying) nada no dice, the camera flops to one side. While on my desk the light is green on the back of the gimbal, but in flight it flashed red/green. I am still getting a video feed and can start and stop recording. But the video is useless.

Another issue I have seen is while its on my desk the camera looks like it moves in the 90 degree arc, but when it reaches 90, it will stop shake the controller and then the display 90 on the controller (Like it should) but then it will jump to 84 and the camera doesn't move.

Not sure what my next move should be, other than wait for the firmware update first, then put in a ticket with 3DR if that doesn't work or return the gimbal and get another one which they won't have anymore until the 14th of Oct.
Was the Solo pionting North in the field when you powered everything up and took off?

I know it wasn't facing south. But not sure it was point north or east, but it was 0 to 90. I guess I'll break out my compass on my phone and put it north and power everything up this afternoon. I also haven't done the "stick calibration" or the compass calibration, but I did do the level calibration with the gimbal attached, but without the GoPro in.

I know it wasn't facing south. But not sure it was point north or east, but it was 0 to 90. I guess I'll break out my compass on my phone and put it north and power everything up this afternoon. I also haven't done the "stick calibration" or the compass calibration, but I did do the level calibration with the gimbal attached, but without the GoPro in.
I would recommend doing level and compass calibration before flying ... And I guess a stick calibration wouldn't hurt !
Then make sure the Solo is pointing north before powering everything up and see if that makes a difference ..

I would recommend doing level and compass calibration before flying ... And I guess a stick calibration wouldn't hurt !
Then make sure the Solo is pointing north before powering everything up and see if that makes a difference ..
I had a similar issue- fixed it by doing a level and compass calibration.

I had a similar issue- fixed it by doing a level and compass calibration.

Work for me as well. When first installed the gimbal it was dropping to the right and moving everywhere but straight. After the level calibration with the gimbal attached it fixed itself.

I had the exact same issue with mine! Fine on the desk, but once in the air it went crazy. In reality, It would stay level until I used the toggle to tilt it, then it would just go nuts.

BUT, since the last firmware update a few days ago, everything has been working perfectly...finally!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc