Solo gimbal not pointing straing ahead

My original gimbal was not pointing perfectly straight ahead. It was a couple degrees right. I never had trouble seeing the landing gear, but I've also got a Back-Bone Ribcage Air GoPro Hero 4 Black with a Peau Production 3.97mm lens. The viewing angle is less than a regular Hero 4 when shooting 4K Wide. I had other issues with my gimbal that led to 3DR replacing it for me. From what I found, the stick calibration didn't do anything to fix the issue and neither did anything else suggested by 3DR. In my opinion, there should be some kind of "trim" setting for the pan of the gimbal. If that was possible, it would eliminate a lot of the issues experienced by a lot of owners, including myself.

Can the alignment problem be fixed with the SOLO app? Set the pan 10 degrees to the left and keep it there. I will find out today, I wanna test that with my new Galaxy tab. :)

Problem fixed, I will get a new gimbal for free from 3DR this week. Now I will go in and expand the hole on the vertical axis, and physically adjust the gimbal a few degrees to the left.
That should work.

Turning the gimbal by making screw holes larger or other wise jerryrigging it is not a good idea. Remember, the gimbal relies on being perfectly aligned with the frame in all directions. If the gimbal is mounted cockeyed, a roll movement of the solo will be a roll and pitch movement of the gimbal. If the gimbal isn't facing straight ahead, it's because the IMU in the gimbal isn't calibrated properly, is not installed/aligned properly inside the gimbal, or is faulty. I believe 3DR has a procedure to recalibrate it, but I haven't read too much into that. Chances are it's a manufacturing or hardware fault and it simply needs to be replaced.

Hi,
Turning the gimbal by making screw holes larger or other wise jerryrigging it is not a good idea. Remember, the gimbal relies on being perfectly aligned with the frame in all directions. If the gimbal is mounted cockeyed, a roll movement of the solo will be a roll and pitch movement of the gimbal. If the gimbal isn't facing straight ahead, it's because the IMU in the gimbal isn't calibrated properly, is not installed/aligned properly inside the gimbal, or is faulty. I believe 3DR has a procedure to recalibrate it, but I haven't read too much into that. Chances are it's a manufacturing or hardware fault and it simply needs to be replaced.

Hi, no problem, I did it today after I got confirmation from 3DR that my new replacment gimbal in in the mail. I only needed to widen the hole by 1.5 millimeters, then I put a tiny pin on the hole to lock the gimbal into the right position. I dont think the gimbal noticed any change, the video is fine now. :) At high speed I see both propellers equally on both sides of the picture.

I guess that's not much of a change so it will work ok. 3DR didn't make you send your old gimbal back first for the warranty replacement??

I guess that's not much of a change so it will work ok. 3DR didn't make you send your old gimbal back first for the warranty replacement??
All 3dr is probably going to do is throw it away. They are laser welded and afaik 3DR doesn't repair them. So they might just be saving the shipping if they don't want it back.

Of course, but I would think they'd at least want to make sure they're not sending someone a new gimbal for nothing, which will then end up on eBay 2 days later. Although perhaps they were convinced enough by the photos, videos, logs, etc.

Oh, I had to send them photos and videos to prove that there was a problem. Power on, power off and stuff. It took me 10 days.
I am glad I can do small mechanical things like this. It might work fine the old one that I hopefully fixed. :)

Knowing how slow their customer service can be, like getting 1 email per day, I like reading these threads. I've learned that when I have a problem, to prepare many things in advance. Log downloads, photos, videos, serial numbers, order numbers, any anything else that could help. I'd send of all of these in the very first email. That would literally save days of back and fourth.

Reactions: RichWest
Same problem here. Mine is about 10 degrees to the right. Did the stick calibration and it didn't work. I can't believe there's no left to right manual trim. Also, mine won't respond to the 1 and 2 preset positions.
Do you still have the 1 & 2 preset issue? If not, how do you resolve that?

I have the same problem with mine, what to do but call CS tech. I am all ears if anyone has any suggestions.

I got a new gimbal, did not need to send in the old one. I made the screw hole in the old gimbal 1 millimeter wider, that way I could turn the lower part of the gimbal in the right direction and secure it in that possision. Pointing straight now. :)

My gimbal not go up to 30 degree, I already calibrated the stick, someone have the test to do to solve the problem?

I know I am new, but I tried the Terminal/Code calibration using my mac about 3 times and it still slopped aka tilted to the left where the black cylinder is......BUT THERE IS AN EASIER FIX THAN CODE!

Just
1. TAKE THE GIMBAL OFF PARTWAYS
2.**MAKE SURE THE HDMI NOR GIMBAL CABLE ARE OBSTRUCTING THE CENTER/MAIN AREA UNDER THE GIMBAL
3. TIGHTEN THE SCREWS

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

or do it the long way by removing lots of screws and basically making sure that nothing can interfere with the servos/motors/gyros/sandwiches (wink ;) ) of your Gimbal

Last edited:
My gimbal not go up to 30 degree, I already calibrated the stick, someone have the test to do to solve the problem?
Look at my post below or watch the video....I have had two gimbals, and as long as it isn't "limp" "floppy" and responds to the controller (even if tilted), give this a shot....the code didn't work for me and I reaalllly reallly did the best calibration I could a few times.
Thanks!

and if anyone is brave and doesn't hate removing small screws, this is a MUCH better way to ensure that NOthing is interacting with the functionality of your gimbal

Last edited:
So, my 3dR Solo gimbal has been acting a little funny since it took a slightly harder landing than normal. Im going to contact support but figured I would poster here as well. Currently, when I turn it on, when the camera goes to straighten its self, it can't. Best way I can explain it: It is like the horizontal control motor on the gimbal, is on a seesaw or titertater. It feels like one of the magnets in the brushless horizontal control motor has revered polarity or something. Every time it tries to center, it pops left or right. You guys have any thoughts?

Check that it isn't rubbing the arm against the belly of SOLO. Also check that the damper balls are all still atttached. Then check by twisting with your fingers if there is extra friction. This could signify the upper motor rubbing against something.

Check that it isn't rubbing the arm against the belly of SOLO. Also check that the damper balls are all still atttached. Then check by twisting with your fingers if there is extra friction. This could signify the upper motor rubbing against something.
Thanks for the reply. In response to your suggestions... rubber dampening balls are still in place. I took the whole gimbal apart and pressed condensed air through everything, no friction. Initially, I first said that it was acting like one of the magnets had reversed polarity in the horizontal controlling brushless motor, well I forgot to mention that: while twisting it side to side horizontally while off the magnets feel fine. Which, to me, seems like the magnets are fine. It is only when the power is turned on that it feels like the magnets are messing up. Because they are electromagnetic motors, this seems like it would mean it is either an electrical or software issue? How do you think I could solve this? Maybe doing a hard factory reset? I have no Idea if that is a thing or not. I still have not heard back from 3DR support (even though the auto reply email said it would be within 4hrs, lol) I will literally try any suggestion anyone has... short of throwing it away and getting a new gimbal because now they are super expensive for some bloody reason.

Are you talking about the 'detent' feel when the gimbal is powered? That is normal and a function of the interaction of a brushless motor and PWM.

Re-reading your original post, I wonder if the encoder/potentiometer was affected by the landing. Seems like maybe the controller is hunting for center and can't find it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela