SOLO FUNERALS..!

You'd need to solder a wire from a pin on the mainboard to get access to ch7 PWM from the pixhawk. Not rocket science, but requires some basic electronics proficiency.
There's a few threads on here discussing it for servo's and camera triggers... either directly or via accessory bay IO.
Try searching the forum for PWM.
some useful info in this thread:
How to assign RC buttons to RCx (PWM output)

If you're in AU, I've got some spare accessory bay connectors... happy to flick you one for nix

Hi again. I may follow-up with your offer if I need to operate a servo. But in the meantime, the big issue is payload ability. I have to find a way for Solo to lift 1-2 Kg....maybe with special props for short duration flights.
Thanks

Depending on how busy the business became, could be lots of drones down there after a while. Good idea though - thanks.
How about one quad with the ash only and one quad with camera following the one with ash.

SARDG brings up a good point about regulations in your area. I release remains from my Cessna 150. My release system (a paper bag tied off so I can pull it back into the plane) insures that only ashes fall after release. In my central coastal area in California I have to fly above 2000 feet over wildlife protected waters and at least 500 feet from shore for the release. I also need permission for public or private lands (park visitors may not want to see small bits of bone on their picnic tables). I also need a permit from the state funeral bureau although one can release up to 10 remains per year in my state without the Funeral Bureau's permit. It might be a good idea to research this for your area. I like the idea of using a drone IF I can find one that can handle the payload.

This is a follow-on from a posting I placed on the FB Solo Group today. I was asked on the weekend if my drone could drop someone's ashes out to sea, which is quite popular here along the Australian coast. I couldn't really answer, but it was a serious question. So thinking about it, whilst being a morbid subject, dropping ashes after the cremation would be simpler and cheaper than hiring a boat and could be made into a nice event with video and music etc. Anyway, some interesting replies came back to my posting and I've looked at how DJI Phantom flyers are using their drones to drop things and some pretty innovative ideas are out there. My question is (before I start inventing) has anyone come up with a drop mechanism for the Solo..? I can see how tilting the gimbal could work if it could bear the weight of someone's ashes.

PS. I haven't yet called an undertaker to establish the market need or establish the weight. But others have now suggested this may not be a bad idea. There just might be room for grandma under my Solo yet. Maybe I'll contact 3DR for suggestions. But your serious ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks..!
There is a Aux power output for lights and such. Imagine that could work in all kinda ways.

You have to remember that the Solo gimbal was designed to function with the weight of specific GoPro cameras in it. Seems to me that the added weight of "grandma" would possibly cause damage to it. Also it might hinder any footage you may want to shoot of "grandma's" final disposition. I bet you get a lot of ideas from the guys and gals on here. They love challenges. Good luck.

Don’t use the gimbal to carry or drop grandma’s ashes. At the opposite end of the drone’s chassis is an empty bay designed to carry extra things, like a thermal imaging, system, or to support the mount for a true 360* camera setup that uses two fisheye FPV devices, one mounted below and the second mounted on the top, above the battery.

You may not be able to fly the big marble urn full of ashes out over the water, but with a simple drop mechanism you’ll only use one extra radio channel, a bomb release, and a few ounces of granny to get everything to its destination. Make sure you’re flying into the wind, so you can get a good shot of the ash as it falls and dissipates, and so it doesn’t blow back into the camera, spoiling your mission and possibly making it necessary to clean things up. You can now keep the marble urn on your mantlepiece with most of grandma’s ashes there, and a small portion accomplishing what you’ve set out to do.

Flying over water can be very tricky~~ control and fpv signals sometimes multiplex, causing phase interference, dropouts, and loss of contact. I would use a pre-programmed flight and command utility, fly higher rather than lower, watching for problems, ready at any instant to manually override the program as it executes, and with a finger held over the RTH button if you get into trouble. Far better for the drone to come back with granny’s ashes intact to try again, than have both end up in limbo somewhere.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela