Solo flyaway and impossible to turn off

I know there are other methods to achieve it. I prefer the one tool to do the entire job without needing to patch in other devices.

Agreed. It can be a pain. I used to be able to prefetch Google Map tiles in MP for transfer over to Tower on my tablet. Google shut down the API for that though. The difference being that typically when I'm using Tower it's with my DIY rig which has 900mhz telemetry so I'm not bound to wifi and can tether that way. Bluetooth tethering can sometimes be a little flakey.

I've learned how to live with it. I've essentially quit using the stock Solo app and have been using Solex exclusively now.

I do miss that from my DIY birds. 900mhz telem, 5ghz video, and 433mhz control. I wanted to piggy back telem over the 433 control link but I could never get the custom fork of OpenLRS to do it properly.

I do miss that from my DIY birds. 900mhz telem, 5ghz video, and 433mhz control. I wanted to piggy back telem over the 433 control link but I could never get the custom fork of OpenLRS to do it properly.

I have a Taranis so it was always 2.4 but I get good range out of that. I have a 5.8 FPV through my Gopro with MinimOSD so I have everything I need on the HUD. Plus I have a Craft and Theory Mavlink Telemetry setup on my Taranis so I get that information as well.

Nice. On my 433 OpenLRS transceiver module on the controller, I tied in an Arduino bluetooth module to the serial IO. That would give me serial over bluetooth from the controller to my phone, tablet, or laptop. Then the high power 433 link to the drone carried serial and control. The transceiver on the drone had the serial I/O connected to the pixhawk telemetry port. The 433 LRS has way better range penetration than 900mhz or 2.4ghz. So it provided a rock solid control and telemetry link for miles. The problem is that serial link would never remain consistent. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I think the bluetooth was the main breakdown though.

Nice. On my 433 OpenLRS transceiver module on the controller, I tied in an Arduino bluetooth module to the serial IO. That would give me serial over bluetooth from the controller to my phone, tablet, or laptop. Then the high power 433 link to the drone carried serial and control. The transceiver on the drone had the serial I/O connected to the pixhawk telemetry port. The 433 LRS has way better range penetration than 900mhz or 2.4ghz. So it provided a rock solid control and telemetry link for miles. The problem is that serial link would never remain consistent. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I think the bluetooth was the main breakdown though.

Bluetooth always is for whatever reason.

Just for the record and so people can know.
If a wifi antenna comes off unplugged etc. you will still typically get 10-20 feet of wifi range from the TX to RX so long as the wifi system itself board chips etc are still working properly.
The solder points and the chips themselves radiate and pick up a tiny bit on their own a bit.
Even with a very high quality well designed shield in place over them you still get a few feet of range.

How in the heck did this thread get so hijacked? Does that happen often here?

Anyway, just got back the results from 3DR about my Solo flyaway, motor failure. Now got to find the receipt, etc.

To their credit, 3DR has found the issue, has issued a return and replacement RMA and it's in process. I sent the Solo along with a battery, controller, original interior box, and interior boxes with the chargers and whatever else I still had minus the full gimbal, backpack and any props. I hae to say for a company that walked away from their consumer product they are doing a standup job of supporting their legacy.

3DR is getting even better in my view, I should get a new ship tomorrow. This is a very fast turn around for even current produced products much less discontinued ones. Bravo 3DR! I wish they would reconsider building new hardware products like an advanced drone(s).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela