Solo Development Area

The t-motor 2216 900KV V2 is a direct fit, but you must solder the 3 motor wires to the ESC, if you want to go with 11" props you can use the t-motor 2216 800KV V2 :)

They are expensive, but it's the best that exists :)

Reactions: sputnik378
Has anyone considered or working on a replacement motor pod solution?

Sharing my 2 cents:

Situation: Parts for Solo unavailable – specifically motor pods

Background: 3DR is longer supporting the consumer market

Assessment: Parts availability is scarce – Current UAS reports having enough parts to support Solo users for 6 – 12 months.

Recommendation: Develop a motor/esc system suitable for Solo using third party source.

How do we achieve this?

Guys I’ve had 2 motor pod failures, both which resulted in unplanned landings. I have an idea but I’ll need help … I can draw it but I have no idea how to make it.

IDEA:

The Solo motor pod is essentially a combined part – Motor + Mount + ESC

I propose we create a motor mount – perhaps out of carbon fiber.

The OE Solo motor plate can be used as a template – strip the electronics, trace the plate and reproduce.

Electronic speed control – plenty of sources --> http://www.castlecreations.com/multi-rotor/multirotor-35-quadpack-010-0125-00

The Castle Creations ESC is about 20mm wide and can be placed in each of Solo’s arms. Cooling hole may be necessary. Note: Castle Creation’s ESCs are programmable.

With this setup I believe we can keep Solo flying for a very long time. The motor plate will provide for mounting and the use of aftermarket motors. Prop adapters can be utilized to mount standard RC propellers.

I think as long as we match motor and ESC specs to current Solo specs we should be OK.

Someone, smarter than I, will have to come up with a solution for a battery.

not sure where to begin reverse engineering, but it cant be too hard right??
20161219_214725.jpg

The latest version from 3dr for solo on github is 1.52, Releases · 3drobotics/ardupilot-solo · GitHub.
The latest firmware installed on solo is 2.4.x.
The version numbering is confusing to me. So, I'm not sure if version 1.52 is what installed on the solo.

BTW, version 1.52 is based an arducopter 3.3-rc1 .

@pyrate
Can you provide the link to that community dev branch ?

Edit: I think this is the link you are referring to SoloSmartDeveloping · GitHub

Also, do we know what need to be done on a fresh ardupilot branch for the solo to work ?

Last edited:
2.4.x is the version of the Solo firmware not ArduPilot/Copter.
There is ArduPilot which has a separate version than ArduCopter, then there are 3DR's forks which have their own version numbers. And then there is the Solo firmware of which the latest is 2.4.2
On the non-enterprise Solo's ardupilot-solo is at version 1.3.1 released on July 28. 3DR released 1.5.2 in November, presumably for the Enterprise.
All the fixes that have gone into the 1.5.2 code since July (1.3.1) are not available to the vast majority of Solo owners. Many of these fixes are related to flight safety.
Just read the commit messages, like this one from 1.4.1:
" added a 2 stage land detector that will ensure that the landed maybe phase is triggered. This engages logic that limits max ESC output to prevent flipovers (false negatives on landing)"
And this from 1.4.3:
" fixed a bug where multiple GPS glitches during a flight could lead to incorrect failsafe behavior"

Yes all the versions #s are very confusing. But important.

I looked at the two that were linked, Don't remember the name of the guy heading it up, but did not see a familiar name in the contributors

I want to look into compiling the firmware for the solo.
I am not sure whether I should start off fresh from ardupilot master branch or take the solo rebase branch from 3dr.
The thing with 3dr solo rebase branch is that it is based of an order version of ardupilot. And I have no idea what state it is in.

I would pop on the Facebook group for PH2 and ask this, they could probably fix you up with those working on it already.
They are even releasing a direct upgrade version of PH2, the PH2.1 with heated IMUs
Most of the effort is being coordinated by Philip Rowse

I would join in on the PH2 facebook page and ask Philip, he is coordinating the rebase with some developers. I know they had issues getting a solo into the hands of the primary guy
but they are releasing a PH2.1 for solo that upgrades the flight controller with heated IMUS and better dampening

PH2 Facebook Page

Ok, so I thereticaly switch my solo over to the master.

Do I lose the Solo flight modes like mpcc and the gimbal control? Is it better, and if so why?

Do I have to use Solex? Although I appreciate what Kelly is doing, there is nothing I am interested in that it provides so dont want to lose the original app ability.

Ok, so I thereticaly switch my solo over to the master.

Do I lose the Solo flight modes like mpcc and the gimbal control? Is it better, and if so why?

Do I have to use Solex? Although I appreciate what Kelly is doing, there is nothing I am interested in that it provides so dont want to lose the original app ability.

Don't know what that first sentence means...

You do not NEED Solex for anything unless you want to enjoy a better overall Soloing experience. If I were you, I'd forget about purchasing Solex until you can understand its many advantages to the 3DR App. On top of that, Solex is far more comprehensive and because of that may have a steeper learning curve. Also, Solex support is limited to this forum, Facebook, and Kelly Schrock, whereas you have 3DR behind the Solo App. (Oh wait... that's not an advantage...)

Solex and the 3DR Solo App are mutually exclusive. Do not even think of them as one requiring the other for anything. Solex, 3DR Solo App, and Tower may ALL peacefully co-exist on a single device. However, you will always need the 3DR App to update your firmware at least - well, if there ever is another update. But if you ever factory-reset your Solo, you would need to update again - with the 3DR App.

Again, my suggestion would be to fly the 3DR Solo App for an extended period until you feel it's time to move up to Solex features. That may be never - we all got by without Solex before Kelly came along.

Thank you for replying. Ok, maybe I didn't explain it very well.

I currently have no plans whatsoever of using Solex as I personally feel it has nothing to offer my experience (Just reiterating that is does not suit my needs, some people take it personally).

The question more revolves around the master branch of APM being put on the Solo, instead of the 3DR Solo branch.
  • What functionality will I lose?
  • What functionality will I gain?
  • What specific examples make it better?
I have been unable to find these exact reasons. Also very similar to the "why put Pixhawk 2.1" on the Solo, but never mind that right now. I have seen a few comments of "its better", but zero explanation or proof to show why. Don't worry, I have 100% faith it could be better and I do thank continual development being taken up on personal time by people. I would activity help as I am pretty nifty with electronics, programming and more however time does not permit.

I understand things like mods for less vibrations, and endurance but I guess I am a bit more inquisitive on the software side. I sometimes feel like I am the only person that truly loves the original Solo app with Tower. But hey, if you told me i could do the MPCC WITH log gimbal control in way-points prior planned I would be swayed as it is the only thing I was disappointment with.

I currently have no plans whatsoever of using Solex as I personally feel it has nothing to offer my experience (Just reiterating that is does not suit my needs, some people take it personally).

The question more revolves around the master branch of APM being put on the Solo, instead of the 3DR Solo branch.
I have been unable to find these exact reasons. Also very similar to the "why put Pixhawk 2.1" on the Solo, but never mind that right now. I have seen a few comments of "its better", but zero explanation or proof to show why. Don't worry, I have 100% faith it could be better and I do thank continual development being taken up on personal time by people. I would activity help as I am pretty nifty with electronics, programming and more however time does not permit.

I understand things like mods for less vibrations, and endurance but I guess I am a bit more inquisitive on the software side. I sometimes feel like I am the only person that truly loves the original Solo app with Tower. But hey, if you told me i could do the MPCC WITH log gimbal control in way-points prior planned I would be swayed as it is the only thing I was disappointment with.
Ahh, now I understand what you were driving at - though I don't know any of those answers as I have resisted temptation to delve that deeply. It's a "time" thing for sure...

If the original app and tower suite you don't do get the cube, don't move to master, don't change a thing.
It really is not all that difficult
The reason you are not getting the level of detail that you want, is that these modifications are all very experimental. Its not for people who are happy with the status quo. Its for people who know arducopter and see value in having it on solo. I would recommend not doing anything right now.
Wait until it moves along and is proven out. Then jump

Reactions: surfllama

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc